Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Supercharger Cold-Start Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Default Supercharger Cold-Start Question

A buddy of mine got her supercharger a week ago and has not had any issues. I was giving her rides to and from the dealership while they were installing it since they lend out the reflash to some other dealer and took a few days to get back. I know the mechanic and he has 2 mk4 supras pushing nice hp numbers. This guys knows his stuff, does all the work on his cars. So the car isn't making any noises out of the ordinary chirping and additional vibration. Her car runs like a champ.

Anyway, she told me about some problems she's been having only during morning cold starts. When the key is turned to ignite the engine, it bogs for a second or 2 trying to turn on, then shuts off. The second attempt is always successful and she doesn't have any issues throughout the day turning the car on and off. Is this normal? The weather in the morning, I'd guess, is 60-70 degrees. We usually have 70+ throughout the day. Can someone tell me if this is normal and why? if not, what can be done to fix this and should she take it to the dealer?

thx.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I leave mine outside for the night, in the morning it bogs and then it starts....
Old 05-09-2007, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i know mine does that too (xb issue though)
it is a fuel pressure problem.

the line loses presure over several hours.
the fuel pump only turns on when the motor is turning (cranking). so it takes 2-3 seconds for the pressure to build again.
by this time you think the motor fired up fine, but it still has a lag in pressure and stalls.
thats why on the second go...the pressure has come back up and runs fine now.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yankee21
If I leave mine outside for the night, in the morning it bogs and then it starts....
thats good to hear. i mean, i dont know if its good, but it calms me down a bit. i read this and theres a part about cold weather. it basicallys says that when you perform a cold start-up in temperatures below 25 degrees, the supercharger can result in immediate failure. we're nowhere near that here, but i can sorta see how it bogs and turns off.

yankee, when yours bogs, does it shut off all the way or does it just take a little while to come up? thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It takes a little while, but there has been a time or two that it shuts off
Old 05-09-2007, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgHotLava
i know mine does that too (xb issue though)
it is a fuel pressure problem.

the line loses presure over several hours.
the fuel pump only turns on when the motor is turning (cranking). so it takes 2-3 seconds for the pressure to build again.
by this time you think the motor fired up fine, but it still has a lag in pressure and stalls.
thats why on the second go...the pressure has come back up and runs fine now.
that helps. i want to get as many peoples input as possible. but so far, this seems normal and i appreciate the explanation. im just surprised the dealer didnt tell me anything - actually, im not surprised. lol. if anyone else can add their inpuit, that would be great.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, as opposed to the beautiful warm weather you have down there, we get the real cold stuff up here.... and we've never had ours stall when even below zero. I will say that on those colder mornings it popped right away but was "sluggish" for a split second, but my FJ could do the same. I'm assuming it's nothing, but if it ours was doing that and in moderate temps, and you aren't even in your "cold" season, i'd have it checked to make sure all is well.
I'm assuming also that she is running premium in it?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

yea, i'll advise her to have them check it out, just in case.

and yes, the car is being fed miami's finest 93 octane fuel. lol.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

bump! cmon, i need more input! lol.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine has never done that, even when it's sat in the cold (30s) overnight. I've had my s/c for a little over a year.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get a slight bog when starting my s/c tc after leaving it outside all night (even over here in CALIF.), but only a bog, then startup; my s/c tc has never bogged and not turn on though... It doesn't happen as much now that i park it in the garage. I also seem to get a better startup by turning the ignition to the 'ON' position for about 5 secs and letting some fuel run through the fuel lines before actually starting the car.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, every morning before i BOOST, i will avoid the on ramp near my house and actually drive one or two main streets over with a light foot to the gas pedal, shifting at 2500 rpm until my temp. guage is at normal operating temp. for about 2 minutes before boosting or taking my car above 2500 rpm. I read this from Vortech's superchargers street maintenance guide.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by KiKaZ-sC
also, every morning before i BOOST, i will avoid the on ramp near my house and actually drive one or two main streets over with a light foot to the gas pedal, shifting at 2500 rpm until my temp. guage is at normal operating temp. for about 2 minutes before boosting or taking my car above 2500 rpm. I read this from Vortech's superchargers street maintenance guide.
thats true with any car...
Old 05-09-2007, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unlike Turbo applications we don't need to let our motor cool when we shut it off, but Superchargers do Require a Warm-up period when first starting the car after it has sat. Also you should not let the s/c go into boost untill it has reached full operating temperatures.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine choke too, in the morning, then after the second try it starts like a champion.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine does that too...i guess it's normal...or not?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My friend's car does that too. it didn't happen to me yet.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is actually another thread about this running around here somewhere for the tC's. Seems to be common thing for some people and not so common for others. All the temps are different as well. IE it happens to some that live in cold areas and others that live in warm areas. It always happens on the first cold crank of the day after it sits overnight, and now it appears that maybe S/C have the same problem as the N/A guys do. I know they were trying to rule things out b/c no dealership has been able to figure it out yet, as it only happens every now and then and of course can't be replicated by them when you bring it to them. Some suggestions are gas(dif. brands, stations, octane), dif oil weights, electrical system, and my personal opinion, the fuel pressure system. Did your friend ever experience that happening before she got the S/C put on her tC? My car has only done it to me about 3 or 4 times and its just really random and I've had it since july of 06, other people experience atleast once a week, other just every now and then, so it is a weird situation indeed, and hopefully she can figure it out. I believe Scion/Toyota should look into it but I don't think its drawing a big enough crowd yet to worry them. Try having her turn the key to "on" for a few seconds, before she turns to the point to start the cranking of the motor, this may allow the fuel pump to activate and build pressure.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

that seems to fix the problem. can everyone who usually experiences this try turning the key to the "on" position, wait for the beeps to stop, and wait 3-5 seconds before cranking the car? my guess is also the fuel pressure system. thanks to KiKaZ-sC for the suggestion. hopefully we dont get that again.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by jasonrs2
that seems to fix the problem. can everyone who usually experiences this try turning the key to the "on" position, wait for the beeps to stop, and wait 3-5 seconds before cranking the car? my guess is also the fuel pressure system. thanks to KiKaZ-sC for the suggestion. hopefully we dont get that again.
i could leave the key in the on position all day and night...it won't do a thing as the pump wont come on untill the motor starts to turn...

Quick Reply: Supercharger Cold-Start Question