Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Supercharger help if possible

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Supercharger help if possible

Hey guys I know the trd reflash for the supercharger was to adjust the air fuel ratios so that the car won't run lean and since I have an automatic the 2nd reflash is suppose to adjust the gear changing points. I recently took in my supercharger this week for warranty work and it had to go through all the testing to make sure that it would be covered. I found out yesterday that the dealer was trying to get reflash my car for an update. So I quickly asked the service advisor was my car even flashed the first time and he said that the shop manager said that ecu did not appeared to be reflashed at all. Sorry for the long post but I'm just trying to see what extent of damage they could have done to my engine because I have been driving without the flash for like 7 months. Also, I was wondering if there are any post on the forum or any evidence that I could print out and take to my dealer so that I make them understand the seriousness of the situation. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 PM
SL Member

without the correct a/f ratio you could (at minimum) cause premature engine wear but it could be so minimal that you would never notice (unless the motor was torn apart to see the inside (block cylinders))
Old 04-10-2008, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

without the reflash, i think the idle on the car woulda been crappy because there was nothing to make the adjustments to the bigger injectors. i'm guessing everything was running smoothly since you never mentioned anything else besides the recent oil leak? sorry to hear about your luck man.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So do you guys think my engine is fine even though it was running without it for 7 months? I called trd and the person I spoke to said that if anything my car would be running rich and that it should not have any real effect.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
without the reflash, i think the idle on the car woulda been crappy because there was nothing to make the adjustments to the bigger injectors. i'm guessing everything was running smoothly since you never mentioned anything else besides the recent oil leak? sorry to hear about your luck man.
Well I assumed everything was running and the rough idle would just simply go away after the car was warmed up so I thought nothing. And yea this pretty much sucks because they are not even giving me a loaner car or anything. I'm just trying to gather evidence to try and get them to fix it and give me a loaner.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just hope this does not happen to my car: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...t=blown+engine
Old 04-11-2008, 12:48 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by datboiant
So do you guys think my engine is fine even though it was running without it for 7 months? I called trd and the person I spoke to said that if anything my car would be running rich and that it should not have any real effect.
well if the car is running rich it could cause engine wear and compression problems..... running rich= more fuel(or too much fuel).... and too much fuel could damage the cylinder walls (because piston rings could scratch walls) due to loss of lubrication (when the extra fuel washes the oil off the cylinder walls). the only true way to find out if this has happened is by disassembling the motor and inspecting your block, but the best way to inspect the motor (without a block teardown) would to do a compression test.

it's not like there is a 100% chance that damage has occured (depending on many factors) but id say there more like a 5-10% of engine damage

(sorry for the long post, just tryin to help)
Old 04-11-2008, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the informative post its really helpful. The more info I know the better because I'm going to call the service manager so I'm trying to gather all the facts before I do so they don't use some bs on me.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:19 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by datboiant
Thanks for the informative post its really helpful. The more info I know the better because I'm going to call the service manager so I'm trying to gather all the facts before I do so they don't use some bs on me.

yeah no problem if you need any kind of help let me know, and ill help the best i can (im not the greatest mechanic in the world, but i have some experience and even more education on automotive technology ) but make sure you get the stealership to get your ecu flashed asap!!! (if they havent already)
Old 04-11-2008, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, they are in the process of getting it flashed since they do not have the tool and I'm gonna try and force them to do a compression test on my car.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

joe myers should have the reflash tool because they flashed mine there. and i know mine was flashed. and about the loaner, it's gonna be tough to get one since you're underage (gotta be 21). i was able to use the dealer xB while my car was there but i think it's because a buddy of mine hooked me up.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the car is under my mom's name so we are just trying to get a loaner car for her so then I can take her car.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

And I don't know what they did with the reflash tool because apparently they are trying to find one for me. At first they wanted to ship my ecu to florida to get it done but they found one and are suppose to get it tomorrow morning. So hopefully I will get a straight answer tomorrow.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you might have to bring your mom with you to get the loaner then because they might need her to sign for it.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah thats not a problem, I just gotta get them to pay for it. Right now I'm more concerned about my car running rich for the past 7 months.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:05 PM
SL Member

plz keep us posted!! id like to know how it went with the stealership. (i just took my tc in because the s/c was leaking oil....and they wanted me to drive the car like that for a week untill they could replace the s/c....fuc that)
Old 04-11-2008, 06:24 PM

If you are worry about cylinder wear see if they have a borescope or can rent one. Just pull the plugs and look into the cylinders. Had a couple of them at work and they were great for seeing into areas that you would otherwise have a hard time taking apart to visually inspect.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I got fed up with the stealership about the loaner car so I called scion corporate and they forced the dealer to pay for it.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, as of right now they overnighted by ecu to florida because they do not have the tool to flash it. I'm going up there tomorrow to get the loaner car and I'm going to ask the tech to see the results of the compression test they performed. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SpeedDeamon
plz keep us posted!! id like to know how it went with the stealership. (i just took my tc in because the s/c was leaking oil....and they wanted me to drive the car like that for a week untill they could replace the s/c....fuc that)
Why would they make you wait a week. They could overnight the s/c in and replace it in a day or 2 and just give you a loaner car. Thats pretty crazy that they are making you drive a failing supercharger for a week.

Quick Reply: Supercharger help if possible