Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Supercharger Install...tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Supercharger Upgraded!!! New Dyno on Page 4!

Tomorrow: Supercharger Install!!

I have been waiting patiently and am excited to soon join the F/I group of tC's out there. I just wanted to get a little something started for those interesting in following my progression, now that things are rolling on the car.

It's been slow up till now, intake, exhaust, header, down pipe, lightweight pulley, strut bar... Soon the fun is to begin!

I know it's ridiculous and will probably cost a pretty penny but I want to get a FMIC (most likely Bell) for my S/C. Yes I will be running on a 9.5psi pulley (or better, later) which I already have. I will be ordering the Greddy eManage Blue soon. I REALLY really want that Descendant Intake Manifold! Also having the TRD springs installed while she is in for the S/C.

Project end goal on the car is 250whp, will post dyno's when they come.
Right now I'm running ~158whp, haven't dyno'd since I installed the lightweight pulley!

I know, I know... don't run the S/C ragged... let it get used to the car and the car to it.

Keep on rolling ScionLife!

Last edited by SoccerBoy_AP; 09-17-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Congrats! Just let me know when your ready for bearings to increase the reliability and power holding capabilities of the supercharger.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also.. your going to have to take off the light weigh crank pulley for the S/c Reflash or it wont run right. You can reinstall it again later.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:33 AM

WOOHOO!!! haha i got a few more months to go but im dying to boost! and deff getting those bearings from kik and shaft from gompka if i can let me know how much the install ran and yatta yatta
watching....
Old 04-03-2009, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stevejohns29
also.. your going to have to take off the light weigh crank pulley for the S/c Reflash or it wont run right. You can reinstall it again later.
why?..............light weigh pulley has NOTHING to do with the trd reflash. my car has 62,000 miles and has had the pulley on since 20,000 miles and been s/c 40,000 miles and my car runs fine.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by streettimetc
Originally Posted by stevejohns29
why?..............light weigh pulley has NOTHING to do with the trd reflash. my car has 62,000 miles and has had the pulley on since 20,000 miles and been s/c 40,000 miles and my car runs fine.
That is my question too! It's the exact same size as the OEM one, just weights 1.6lbs vs the 6.5lbs of stock?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2009, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

yeah the pulley makes no difference. If it was an underdrive pulley it would.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Now that it's been installed, I have a question!

Downshifting? I learned to drive a manual both up and down the gear box. Should I change my downshifting habbit's now that I am FI?

Yes I will still downshift to get into a better RPM range while driving/passing etc.

I am talking about downshifting to decelerate. I use both breaks and gearbox to slow me down. Should I stick with breaks only?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I downshift when coming to a stop. It shouldn't cause any problems. I'm still on the same s/c for over 60k miles.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoccerBoy_AP

Downshifting? I learned to drive a manual both up and down the gear box. Should I change my downshifting habbit's now that I am FI?

Yes I will still downshift to get into a better RPM range while driving/passing etc.

I am talking about downshifting to decelerate. I use both breaks and gearbox to slow me down. Should I stick with breaks only?
should make no diff. i down shift all the time. never at to high of an rpm. and i rev match all the time too. well now that you been s/c how do you like it? and whats you setup?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

should make no diff. i down shift all the time. never at to high of an rpm. and i rev match all the time too. well now that you been s/c how do you like it? and whats you setup?
Use your brakes, downshifting = higher rpms, and the s/c bearings don't like that very much. No need to put extra stress on them from down shifting just to slow down. Downshifting to drive is fine, but downshifting to slow down is that much more time that the bearings are spinning faster and producing more heat.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

It's great! Except for the part where I work in the DC Metro area and my baby sits patiently for me in the garage back in Colorado
Despite the length of time I have been there and plan on being there, I refuse to expose my baby to the insanity of the drivers/driving conditions of the DC area.

Right now it's just the S/C on the stock 7psi pulley.
First thing I want to change out is the BPV. Don't want to go crazy as it is all still under warranty. But once that warranty is over in 2011, the gloves are coming off! 9psi, CAI(something other then stock airbox at least), FMIntercooler, intake manifold, re-tune of course...

Next time I have time on a trip home I'm going to get her on the dyno so I can post some #'s.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's great! Except for the part where I work in the DC Metro area and my baby sits patiently for me in the garage back in Colorado
Despite the length of time I have been there and plan on being there, I refuse to expose my baby to the insanity of the drivers/driving conditions of the DC area.

Right now it's just the S/C on the stock 7psi pulley.
First thing I want to change out is the BPV. Don't want to go crazy as it is all still under warranty. But once that warranty is over in 2011, the gloves are coming off! 9psi, CAI(something other then stock airbox at least), FMIntercooler, intake manifold, re-tune of course...

Next time I have time on a trip home I'm going to get her on the dyno so I can post some #'s.
where around the dc metro area are you? i'm located just south of baltimore. dc traffice sux!!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Now that the S/C is installed....

Driving is even more exhilarating. The S/C really shines in highway driving. 60 to 100 is smoother and really quick. I am so glad I got the S/C installed, wish I would have done it sooner.

It's only been 3 tanks of fuel and MPG doesn't seem to have dropped as much as I thought it would have. Before the S/C I was recording a consistent 31mpg, running 91octane. The first tank of fuel with the S/C (91 of course), averaged 27mpg. I was expecting a much bigger drop in fuel economy. Most of that tank was interstate driving. Second tank only averaged 22mpg and well that was because of way to much heavy acceleration.

I don't see any change in the engine temperature. ScanGauge2 is still reporting 182deg on the open road under normal driving. She does warm a lot quicker when sitting after driving. Hovering around 205deg, which isn't much more then before the S/C, it just gets there quicker.

I do now see the simplicity of having a turbo timer, must get one soon!

Now I just need to get down to the Dyno and get some numbers. Then wait patiently for the rest of my extended warranty to expire and then drop all the rest of the goodies under the hood!
Old 05-28-2010, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Only took me a year but I got it... I got the dyno!

So after a very wonderful recommendation from Thorium06 I went to CarzPerformance in Lakewood, CO. Excellent crew there!

Ok so, it was at 10am, about 80deg and a lovely 25% humidity.
We did 3 runs on a SuperFlow in-floor dyno.

Run 1

Now ain't that a funny looking Torque curve???

Run 2

Run 3

I LOVE MY POWER LINE!!!!

Last ones the best!!!

Performance Parts list:
K&N air filter
TRD Supercharger w/ stock pulley
ZPI v2 crank pulley
Alphawerks header w/ JetHot
Invida Downpipe
Custom dual exhaust

Please keep in mind that the TRD s/c is supposed to run around 7psi, well up here at 5280 I might.. might be pushing 5psi. Can't wait to put in the 65mm pulley.

Last edited by SoccerBoy_AP; 06-02-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you dyno the stock pulley just for fun? I would have saved the money and just dynoed with the 9.5 psi pulley ^^.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Stock pulley, I have the 65mm pulley but need to install. Don't really want to until I can tune.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Dont need a tune for the 65mm pulley
Old 05-29-2010, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed you were attempting to near 250 hp. Are you going to do anything more then the pulley to help get to that range or are you leaving it where it is, almost 200 pretty much.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Install...tomorrow