Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

supercharger or turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Default supercharger or turbo

what would u all say would be better for my tc supercharger or turbo
Old 03-16-2007, 08:39 PM

Well, sounds harsh, but the honest answer is that if you have to ask this question, either one would be fine for you.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:41 PM

cool thanx
Old 03-16-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just do some research on both and keep in mind maybe what goals or idea for your car you have and the answer will come...not to sound like yoda or anything but..Look for an answer and find you it will
Old 03-16-2007, 08:49 PM

cool
Old 03-16-2007, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah, this is not a black and white question, you need to read a lot of threads about each, learn mostly everything you can about them, and then make a decision based on that. If you have specific questions, we can help, but you need specifics from learning, not a general question.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I value efficiency, therefore I favor turbos.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo's are more efficient...

Go with the turbo.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ same. When it comes time to boost my baby I'll probably go ZPI Stage 0. Possibly Stage 1.5 but it's a hand full of $$. Supercharger is warrantied but it's weak compared to turbos.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:30 AM

i say turbo because the potential for power is much higher.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Depends..do you want no hassle and covered by warranty (supercharger) or do you want power worth the money spent (turbo)
Old 03-17-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

main differences to my best understanding (i'm only sixteen so you guys may just go "DUH" after reading this)

turbo - like xc17 said, usually more power, but when u get on it, it takes a sec for the boost to build up (turbo lag), but the ride is awesome afterward. advantage over supercharger because it doesn't require the engine to turn it.

supercharger - not quite as much power, but since it is turned by the engine, there isn't the turbo lag, the power is sittin there ready for when you floor it. however, the engine is what turns this, so ur losin' power in a way unless you're really gettin' on it.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Scikotics

supercharger.. turbo = turbo lag. Trbo maybe produce more HP but Too much money. You buy a supercharger, aftermarket headers and CAI and ____ you got as much as you would get from a turbo.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it really depends on what you want and how you want to spend your money. I myself am contemplating on which one to get. Around here in Cali, it's illegal to have a turbo unless it came "stock" with the vehicle. And when it's time to smog the vehicle, you won't be able to smog it and have to remove the turbo. So it's great having the turbo for the time being, but after that it's horrendous on the wallet.

As of right now, I've decided to stick with S/C and only modding the pulley and BPV and emanage ultimate. With that set up, it should reach 250whp and that should be enough for me.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Robs07Tc
supercharger.. turbo = turbo lag. Trbo maybe produce more HP but Too much money. You buy a supercharger, aftermarket headers and CAI and poop you got as much as you would get from a turbo.

You would get as much as an off the shelf ZPI Stage 0, nothing more. That is until you go out and buy even MORE stuff....cams/N20/methanol...etc. Turbo lag....lol. The tC has turbo lag if you try to floor it in 5th gear while doing 20 mph. Otherwise, turbo lag is invisible.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCIONshane
main differences to my best understanding (i'm only sixteen so you guys may just go "DUH" after reading this)

turbo - like xc17 said, usually more power, but when u get on it, it takes a sec for the boost to build up (turbo lag), but the ride is awesome afterward. advantage over supercharger because it doesn't require the engine to turn it.

supercharger - not quite as much power, but since it is turned by the engine, there isn't the turbo lag, the power is sittin there ready for when you floor it. however, the engine is what turns this, so ur losin' power in a way unless you're really gettin' on it.

Close assumption, however, the tC on boost is virtually turbo lag free.

As for the supercharger, you have to keep in mind, that it's a centerfugical (spelling?) S/C'er. Therefore, say you slapped it on, and now make 230whp. You will not see that 230whp till 6k RPM (RedLine). With a turbo slapped on and say you make 230whp....you will see that 230 at like 4K RPM, leaving you 2k more RPM's to go. This is why the S/C'er takes quite a bit of mods to keep up with just even a Stage 0 turbo kit. It's linear power is.....well...Linear..
Old 03-18-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its basically this easy.

A turbo is considered "free energy" because it runs off exhaust gases.
A super causes "parasitic drag" because it run off the crank/belt

Therefore a turbo is more efficient.

However, turbo lag is often a problem on slow revving engines (ex. big V8s). So in that respect a super is better because the power is there instantly.

This is just a very educated opinion, but not the gospel....

Turbo a 4 banger, super an 8 cylinder
Old 03-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Yeah man it all depends what u want, just do some research and u may find your answer. I was in the same boat as you, but i have decided to go turbo, although the supercharger still retains your warranty,in the long run going turbo will give you greater power! As far as turbo lag, the zpi kits stage 0 and 1 utilize the 16g turbo which is small but very efficient and in the tc they achieve full boost by like 2500 rpms and holds strong throughout the whole powerband! Its awesome! 1MORE MONTH AND I AM GONNA BE BOOSTED! lol! Anyway, which ever route u decide 2 go have fun and HAPPY BOOSTIN!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to chime in, I suggest looking into a book called MAXIMUM BOOST, written by Corky Bell. I myself was going to go supercharger. My reason primarily was becuase with the supercharger, if you could make 400whp, it would be a HUGE statement versus that of a Turbochraged system. However, after reading this book, it taught me soooo much about the difference between superchargers and turbo's. I am now sold on getting a turbo for my TC.

One of the interesting reasons for my decision change, I thought running the supercharger would be better for my long-term life of my car, but I soon realized this is not the reality. Case in point, with a turbo, you are not always in "boost". Meaning, if I choose to shift say at 2500rpms, depending on the turbo, you are not in boost yet. This allows the driver the ability to limit the effects of long-term possible problems on the engine. Whereas with a supercharger, you are always in boost no matter how fast you are going. Obviously my ultimate concern is engine longevity, so that is the reason for that example. Anyway, my point is, go to barnes and nobles, or borders, or somewhere like that and read up on the differences of superchargers and turbos. It is very interesting.