Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Supercharger vs. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member

Default Supercharger vs. Turbo

Okay, I've seen products available on both sides, but I'm having a hard time deciding on the TRD Supercharger, or one of the 2 or 3 Turbo kits I've seen available for the tc. Anyone feel like enlightening me?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a turbo....yes a supercharger is always pushing air so you don't have to let it spool up. Which means it's always putting more stress on your engine. The biggest reason to go turbo is that you get more whp per CFM your pumping. a superchager is going to rob power to turn the compressor the turbo is using wasted energy turn the compressor.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That may be true if WHP is your only goal. But to be honest and balance the equation, the supercharger will be warrantied by Toyota and will be trouble free for a long time. You'd be lucky just to get a meaningful warranty on your turbo-kit alone. Getting a turbo kit installed CORRECTLY, promptly, and fuel-managed safely is costly and takes time and research. You must find a high-quality shop staffed with knowledgeble and technically profecient mechanics. The "shortcut" to boosting your car's power will surely lead you back to these forums in no-time with a sob-story about how your engine blew, something is leaking, or a part cracked, most, if not all of which will not be replaced. If you want a safe boost you can feel, the supercharger is a good consideration, although a bit overpriced. If you want serious power from a turbo, you must be prepared to accept a greater responsibilty to do it the right way. To paraphrase Spiderman: With greater power, comes greater responsibility. Oh, and some will tell you a turbo is cheaper than the supercharger HP for HP, but if you get turbo'd the right way, it'll probably cost about the same if not more. Personally, I wished they would have created a more powerful supercharger Good luck in your decision.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you know what your doing and are a DIY kinda person then go turbo. Dont even think twice about it.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you don't plan on modding go s/c, if you do plan on modding and go s/c anyway may God have mercy on your soul, lol. The problems with the s/c are rearing their ugly heads all over the place.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish there would be more variety when it comes to superchargers, unless there are other ones that I don't know about.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:48 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by RSracer
Get a turbo....yes a supercharger is always pushing air so you don't have to let it spool up. Which means it's always putting more stress on your engine.

The trd supercharger is a centrifical type, and in this type, boost is RPM dependent. Higher rpms, higher boost. And no, a supercharger is never an "always on" deal. Its throttle dependent just like a turbo setup.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:50 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by punkemoskaHXC
I wish there would be more variety when it comes to superchargers, unless there are other ones that I don't know about.
Only big centrifical manufactures out there are PE and Vortech, and the TRD is a vortech. If only we had some room to work with a roots type we'd have some big dogs like Jackson Racing and others
Old 10-24-2006, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member

Default Supercharger vs. Turbo

I had a Jackson Racing in my '96 Miata - only had 8lbs. of boost, but
the car was a rocket!
What's a "Roots type" S/C?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd like to see other superchargers. Turbo is too much for me (and my auto)
Old 10-24-2006, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the S/C and please do a lot of research before you get either. I had an unmodified S/C the 1st time around, no header or pulley, and still ended up with a failure. Now I'm looking at a a second one with a blown bearing. I used to be very warrenty and reliability oriented when I first made the decision to buy the S/C, but back then there wasn't a whole lot of problems with them. Bottom line is you do have the warrenty on both the engine and the S/C. You'll most likely need them. It's great to just drive the car in to the dealership and have everything done free of charge and not have to know a thing about what's wrong or how to fix it.

The S/C will be more reliable on the the car as a whole, less overall boost which equals less stress trasmitted through the drivetrain. With all that being said, if I had the choice of doing it again I'd rather stay N/A then go with the TRD S/C. You're warrenty will run out one day and the cost to replace the S/C will become a big issue. A turbo will have it's own set of worries and issues but will make much more useable hp. Again please do a lot of searching here on this site before making your final choice.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:26 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: Supercharger vs. Turbo

Originally Posted by hijo
What's a "Roots type" S/C?
This is a screw type roots S/C:

Also known as an Eaton. The same design the Greddy s/c is for the xB.

These types bolt directly over the intake manifold. Ours being on the back of the motor makes it almost impossible to be able to fit one. Thats why we haven't see one. These types are INSTANT FULL boost at WOT at any RPM (boost dependent upon pulley diameter).

The compressors look like this:

These are the hardest type to aftercool (Supercharged intercoolers are refered to as Aftercoolers). Most popular on mustangs and other domestics. An air to water cooler is used between the discharge and intake runner.

This is a typical centrifugal type:

The design is slightly stolen from the turbocharger. Internal gearing after the pulley spools the compressor creating boost. Boost is RPM dependant. Higher RPM, higher boost. This is the type of s/c the TRD kit is.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Perhaps a roots-type supercharger could fit if it required a custom hood to create a little more overhead space
Old 10-24-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

i dont know... there's quite a bit of extra space over/behind the intake manifold. you may just be able to get by with some spacers under the hinges for the hood to lift the back end up.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my old civic had a JR and it wasn't much bigger than the original IM... I'm not even sure we'd need spacers since our huge hunk of plastic they call a IM is so big a smaller roots style would probably slip right in... It'd be an interesting pulley config though thats for damn sure
Old 10-24-2006, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone know of a tC owner that has successfully put in a 3rd party or roots-type supercharger?
Old 10-24-2006, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

i havent...

but about that pulley setup, if you go down to the bottom of the engine, it should be relatively easy to hook onto the belt
Old 10-24-2006, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I dont thing we have enough back where the intake manifold is for a roots style s/c.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:30 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Jaski21
Anyone know of a tC owner that has successfully put in a 3rd party or roots-type supercharger?
There isnt one for the tC. I believe a roots type sits directly overtop of the intake manifold, and that is on the backside of our engine.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah it replaces the original IM and the pulley comes right out of the back... So the pulley would have to be at the top of the engine which could be pretty trick to tap into. I don't have our pulley config memorized so then again it may be a breeze lol...A terrible diagram is below

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs. Turbo