Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

SuperChargers for the tC

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 07:28 PM
PF2

Default SuperChargers for the tC

ive been thinking about getting the TRD supercharger for my tC but i dont feel like it will give me that much more powe, or the power i want. if anyone knows of anyone who makes superchargers for it tell me and tell me if the TRD is better than i think.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:32 PM
SL Member

TRD is horrible, search all the horror storyies of them breaking down time afater time, i was really close to buying one my self but with 1,000 more you could get a turbo kit (look up vulcanturbo he did mine, amazing) soooo much better and wayyyy more power, turbo>TRD supercharger imo
Old 12-06-2008, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, I recommend Vulcan. They just came out with the turbo kit for the tC.. Ita good looking kit. Its on Matt's car so ask him how he likes it..
Old 12-06-2008, 07:43 PM
SL Member

un freakin believable, shi*s crazy
and the great thing with the turbo is when its all installed, after a while when you get someome more money saved up, theres soooo much that you can do with a turbo set up, raise psi, different tune, different everything, take some more time to save up for the kit, you will not regret it
Old 12-06-2008, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

s/c is nice cause you get to keep your warranty. you have an older tC too (the superchargers for the year 06 and below have problems). a n/a tC can keep up with a s/c one if they are both stock. you need to buy a few mods to make the s/c really get going! but with that all said a s/c is nothing compared to a turbo. how much are you planning on spending if you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcCAlI
s/c is nice cause you get to keep your warranty. you have an older tC too (the superchargers for the year 06 and below have problems). a n/a tC can keep up with a s/c one if they are both stock. you need to buy a few mods to make the s/c really get going! but with that all said a s/c is nothing compared to a turbo. how much are you planning on spending if you don't mind me asking?
i think most of us supercharged guys have already said that if "you get to keep your warranty" is a bunch of craap with the supercharger. Well maybe you get to keep your engine warranty, but the supercharger warranty is nonexistant.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

they are not worth it imo. Look into Dezod or Ptuning is about to release theirs soon.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
i think most of us supercharged guys have already said that if "you get to keep your warranty" is a bunch of craap with the supercharger. Well maybe you get to keep your engine warranty, but the supercharger warranty is nonexistant.
umm there is such thing as a s/c warranty and with some money you CAN get the s/c to really punch...
Old 12-07-2008, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

ya but you would need cams, pulley, new intake, headers, exhaust, meth, tune so much money it would be more cost effective to go turbo. Because the gains on the turbo would be greater and you would have more room for improvement.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
umm there is such thing as a s/c warranty and with some money you CAN get the s/c to really punch...
If your lucky, most people don't seem to have much luck with it. Even if you do have a warranty whats the point of replacing one faulty s/c with another one instead of correcting the problem. Unless your handy and like to fix things don't get an s/c. I will have shafts soon for it, but i/m still not 100% sure that it will fix the problem. Hopefully that is the problem, but who knows could be alignment issues etc. Your better off getting a turbo from 3rd party and actually getting a replacement warranty better than what TRD can offer. Warranty might be less of a hassle if you get it installed at the dealer, but even then no guarantee
Old 12-07-2008, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ too many failure stories that people go through. They all say the same thing. I wanna get a SC for warranty. Then next thing you know, people on here are like.. "WHEN DID U GO TURBO" lol.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

hahaha thats so true ^^^
Old 12-07-2008, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattieg
ya but you would need cams, pulley, new intake, headers, exhaust, meth, tune so much money it would be more cost effective to go turbo. Because the gains on the turbo would be greater and you would have more room for improvement.
I know this, but the OP was asking about the s/c soo i was telling him about it and what can be done. like i said above the s/c is nothing compared to a turbo.......
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok what choice do you have for power boost if you live in California where our freaken emmissions rape us for a freaken intake now a turbo. Well I am planning on getting it after christmas but if what mattieg said about releasing a s/c i will gladly wait for that.

But ya the point to my most what do we californians have a choice of running turbo and getting caught with it only thing I can go for is s/c.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we got the sc when it first came out ( as it's my wife's ride the warranty did mean something ), and have put 42k+ on the sc. We don't launch the car hard, but also don't drive it like a granny either ( luv those interstate on ramps... ). Only issue was a belt tensioner which of course was replaced. The car dyno'd at mid 190's; not sure stock #'s for an 05, but our daughter's stock 08 was at like 145 on dyno--so figure 50 or so hp added.
Is it "fast"? Nope. But it is quick enough to have fun with it as is. I'm sure if/when i add the pulley and do more exhaust work, it will add more "kick in the pants" feel; but with the economy being what it is, we can live with the car right now and be fine.
So while there are plenty of horror stories on the sc ( or on the trd service ); just wanted to note that ours has been fine and enjoyed.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Basstrack17
. The car dyno'd at mid 190's; .
So you pay $3000 PLUS install for something that gives you 50 horsepower...NOPE no sir..not happening.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

point taken; and some owners put thousands of $$ into their audio or appearance, when maybe less would do as well.... it's all personal choice, who's to say one way is the right way. But a 25%+ increase isn't bad in our view; i've seen guys toss a grand into exhaust to pick up less then 10% increase, so again to each his/her own....
Old 12-07-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he has an 05 its $2,000 + install, granted even a trained monkey can do the work dealers do to install it.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 PM

I currently have the TRD Supercharger in my car... and it was the biggest... costly mistake that I have done. I have tried to play with it a little to get more HP by swaping the pulley... and so far no success. Please take my advice from someone who has it... DONT DO IT!! Go turbo... best bet for power and value for your money... At this very moment I am currently swapping SC for a RMT...
Old 12-28-2008, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

it depends - im selling my s/c blower, shaft, and a bunch of other things. if you buy things used and redo the bearings .... its a nice (and pretty cheap) setup. I believe the one guy on the forum is redoing the bearings for $300 which means you have A LOT better bearings then what came w/ the s/c

Quick Reply: SuperChargers for the tC