Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Switched Iridium Plugs - Big Difference - Must for Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you decided to use Denso 5310 instead of the Denso K22PR-U used in the TRD SC? I am so glad that this has helped, and I look forward to applying them to my setup.

I am prepairing to order those plugs straight from Denso's website: http://www.densoproducts.com/
Old 10-10-2005, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by unlimited77
This is for rhythmnsmoke , i dont know much about turbos, but i thought i read somewhere that using the boost controllet to turn down the boost really doesnt do much good, esp since you are running only 6 to 7 psi, and the wastegate spring is set? I am not sure hopefully someone can clearify, but i thought a boost controller would be more benefitial for people running atleast 10 psi.

Also Sciondad, why is cool off necessary? Is it just a precaution? I never understood the meaning of a turbo timer, and do you need cooling between runs? Or does it not matter then, is the timer just for shutting down?
thanks

You're probably right about the boost controller. But I think the spring in the wastegate can be changed out. But then again, my g/f drives like a bat out of hell, so she probably won't be turning it down anyway. As for the turbo timer, it's only for shutting down the vehicle. With a turbo timer, you don't have to sit in your car and let it run. You can remove the key and get out, and the turbo timer will keep the car on for a specified time and then turn it off afterwards. It's good for the turbo, to allow the oil to be circulated and cooled down, instead of just a cold shutdown. Running the car at idle for a min after driving, improves the life of the turbine. Some timers have the ability to be set on automatic, meaning they will calculate how long the car has been driven and how hard, and based off of those conditions will determine an appropriate amount of time for shutdown.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^, yup, letting it cool for a minute helps to cool down. That Turbine gets white hot.

Yea, I'm working to hook that up now. The Computec alarm has the turbo timer and it runs the car for 2 minutes and then shuts it off.

Marshall, yea those plugs from TRD supercharger aren't even available. I went to the dealer and they would have to order them. On top of that, even Denso lists them as "average" plugs. Not even Iridium. The IK22 is what we should be going after. I believe Joe with Dezod is running these or maybe the IK24's. ZPI has another plug they throw in which is much cheaper in costs, works just as good, but I couldn't find them locally.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo timers are optional with full synthetic. Conventional oil cokes in plain bearings and kills the turbo. It actually seizes the shaft in the bearing, but synthetic does not do this, so if you want to be nice you can use the turbo timer, but it isn't essential to turbo life as it was 15 years ago.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lo_bux_racer
Turbo timers are optional with full synthetic. Conventional oil cokes in plain bearings and kills the turbo. It actually seizes the shaft in the bearing, but synthetic does not do this, so if you want to be nice you can use the turbo timer, but it isn't essential to turbo life as it was 15 years ago.
Oh yea, great information.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just kept it out of or nearly out of boost a few miles before shutting it down on my 13PSI matrix with Redline oil, when driving the car I was pretty abusive of the power trip meter quite often, put on alot of miles, no problems, turbo is on another car, still no problems
Rick
Old 10-11-2005, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Turbo timers are fairly inexpensive. Just to be on the safe side, I will get one anyway. There is no such thing as too much protection for your engine.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Turbo timers are fairly inexpensive. Just to be on the safe side, I will get one anyway. There is no such thing as too much protection for your engine.
Yea, certainly can't hurt. I'm going to hook mine up, but everytime I get started, I end up doing something else I planned to do that's more fun.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had one on my comustar alarm 2 minute countdown after you set the e brake. cool feature fo sho.

Although, I was retarded and actually left my keys in the ignition at least 3 times because I was distracted by something and I was so used to having my car run when I got out - I didn't think of it. I go out at lunch and my cars still running - WTF!
Old 10-11-2005, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have used all kinds of gizmos in my cars over the years and the one thing I learned that was most important, the more stuff you put on, the more maintenance, more headaches, more things to break and need replaced. Also, everything you add that is a physical part, junk you carry around, etc, etc, takes away another small slice of true performance and reliability;)

With that in mind I install only what I truely need, just the minimal but most important gauges, things like using welding cable for power wire for the audio system because I can get the smallest specific size to save weight and it costs alot less. If you go at this with a whole car attitude it can add up to some pretty amazing differences in how your car handles, looks, on and on.

Every dime you save can go to buying a better quality part that you are going to use.

Rick
Old 10-11-2005, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattssi
I had one on my comustar alarm 2 minute countdown after you set the e brake. cool feature fo sho.

Although, I was retarded and actually left my keys in the ignition at least 3 times because I was distracted by something and I was so used to having my car run when I got out - I didn't think of it. I go out at lunch and my cars still running - WTF!
Old 12-29-2005, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default move to force induction please

Just want to bump this up and hopefully be moved to Force induction

Im doing some reading about denso iridium plugs and hopefully replace the K22PR-U plugs my sc came with.

I was bored and wondered why TRD choose a regular plug than the stock iridiums

Stock Denso SK20R11

TRD SC plug Densp K22PR-U

i still have to refer to denso's website for specs for each[/b]
Old 12-29-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Densoiridium.com
Q. Why is the U-Groove special?
A. The patented U-Groove allows the flame kernel to fill the gap formed by the U. This ball of fire develops a larger and hotter flash front a complete combustion. The flat ground electrode design of ordinary spark plugs crush the spark, inhibiting its growth; this effect is known as a “quenching effect.” The simple, but efficient, U-Groove feature results in better fuel efficiency, improved throttle response, and greater firing energy.
A "hot plug" has a long insulator nose which exposes more surface area to the combustion gases. This keeps the plug temperature higher overall which is ideal for stop-start city driving conditions.

A "cold plug" has a shorter insulator nose, which minimizes the amount of surface area exposed to the combustion gases. Cold plugs are typically used in racing conditions because of its ability to transfer heat out of the cylinder chamber quickly. Most turbo, supercharged and nitrous oxide applications use this type of plug because of the tremendous heat they generate. A colder plug can also minimize the risk of pre-ignition and detonation, however if the plug is to cold there is risk of fouling during extended periods of idling and low-speed operation.

The heat range number located on the insulator indicates the temperature range of each DENSO spark plug. The lower the number, the hotter the plug; the higher the number, the colder the plug. Information about reading plugs can be found at the Find My Part - Identify DENSO Spark Plugs page.

How to read your plugs

http://www.iridiumpower.com/identifyplugs.php
Old 12-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: move to force induction please

Originally Posted by tikbhoy
Just want to bump this up and hopefully be moved to Force induction

Im doing some reading about denso iridium plugs and hopefully replace the K22PR-U plugs my sc came with.

I was bored and wondered why TRD choose a regular plug than the stock iridiums

Stock Denso SK20R11

TRD SC plug Densp K22PR-U

i still have to refer to denso's website for specs for each
We don't run the Iridums in our turbo cars. We just find that the standard NGK's or Densos (a step or two colder) work well. The Iridums are also very expensive.. they're like $6-7 each at our local stores.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Iridums are also very expensive.. they're like $6-7 each at our local stores.
haha after a 4k turbo does $24 really mean that much?
Old 12-30-2005, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My last turbo project was a Matrix 1ZZ running 13PSI with a proper sized intercooler, stock timing, 2D aquamist(meth/water injection).

With Iridium plugs, tried one and two steps colder, above 5kRPM I had serious misfires.

With two steps colder copper NGKs it ran perfectly to redline, 250WHP and never a problem again.

I plan to run copper plugs in our tC as soon as it is boosted which is not very far off into the future.

(The matrix was the first regular production car boosted on the street, the SSC one was a 6 month early import that had to go back to Japan after one year)

Rick
Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by nfiniti9
The Iridums are also very expensive.. they're like $6-7 each at our local stores.
haha after a 4k turbo does $24 really mean that much?
Touche'
Old 12-30-2005, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is not always about money, more importantly it can and should be about what works, period;)

Rick
Old 12-30-2005, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

would there be any benifits in using these plugs in a N/A set up?

PMed ya Rhythmnsmoke
Old 12-30-2005, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the stock denso iridiums are pre gap already but its not the same part number as the Iridium plugs IK##, i wonder if denso have iridums pregap already like the oe supplied plugs. the trd's are 1 step colder vs original.

i still have to call or read more if the IK22 are perfect fit as the SK20R11

Quick Reply: Switched Iridium Plugs - Big Difference - Must for Turbo