Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Swithcing from the S/C?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member

Default Swithcing from the S/C?

I've had my S/C for 15k and the nst pulley on it for 5k of that. Thankfully it runs great and no problems thus far. I am happy with the power it makes, but I've still only been able to run mid 14's on street tires. So I want to squeeze some more power out of my setup. I'm at a bit of a crossroads.

I don't know whether I should just throw a rediculous pulley(14psi, go big or go home) and the 550cc injectors and snow performance stage 2 watermeth injecton that I already have, and a piggyback and tune. Or should I switch over to the greddy turbo setup. Can I get to the max the stock motor with either option. Or is the greddy(or any other turbo kit) going to produce more power. I just want to drop about a second off my times, with the addition of drag radials. Anyway, let me know what you think.

And yes, I know my S/C will probably explode. Also, can the stock fuel pump run 550cc injectors?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I don’t know what’s worse for the stock engine, boosting a constant 8psi with a turbo or hitting 14psi at redline with the s/c. I‘d think the big surge in psi with the blower would end up being worse over time. If you want engine life I’d stick with what you have. Another great thing with you current setup is you might be able to pull of the warranty if something ever where to go wrong with the blower or engine.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me know the tricks of how he can keep his warranty Please? lol
Old 03-05-2007, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pulleys can be swapped back as some people have saved their tamper proof caps.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What other mods do you have along with the pulley and s/c?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Re: Swithcing from the S/C?

Originally Posted by TRDPower
I've had my S/C for 15k and the nst pulley on it for 5k of that. Thankfully it runs great and no problems thus far. I am happy with the power it makes, but I've still only been able to run mid 14's on street tires. So I want to squeeze some more power out of my setup. I'm at a bit of a crossroads.

I don't know whether I should just throw a rediculous pulley(14psi, go big or go home) and the 550cc injectors and snow performance stage 2 watermeth injecton that I already have, and a piggyback and tune. Or should I switch over to the greddy turbo setup. Can I get to the max the stock motor with either option. Or is the greddy(or any other turbo kit) going to produce more power. I just want to drop about a second off my times, with the addition of drag radials. Anyway, let me know what you think.

And yes, I know my S/C will probably explode. Also, can the stock fuel pump run 550cc injectors?

ide stick with the s/c setup since you already have it installed. What boot are you running now?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Robs_tc
Someone told me once you take off the tamper proof cap you can't get it back on they said the tamper proof cap will get damage if you take it off.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cessblood
Someone told me once you take off the tamper proof cap you can't get it back on they said the tamper proof cap will get damage if you take it off.
ive taken mine off without damaging the cap... and i know a few others that have done it too.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should be able to put it back on if nothing is damaged. It's a long road to swap the s/c for a turbo.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mahalzkita28
Originally Posted by cessblood
ive taken mine off without damaging the cap... and i know a few others that have done it too.

And after reading this forum, your dealer will know too....
Old 03-05-2007, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's why you can edit your post
Old 03-05-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not saying I've ever done it, just what I've read. Just trying to help the guy out and keep things on the safe side before he goes to far with the mods.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's not like we are telling the world how to do it. Oh yeah TRDPower Sorry for thread jacking. If you think that i just jack your thread.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If he the main poster is running stock boost then jumping up to 10lb or 10.5lbs boost, tuned, is the way to go. I would not go above that. Being tuned and jumping to a bit higher boost will give you some nice power that you will enjoy. Don't forget that tuning the car will give you a nicer hp curve so that alone will be better.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Short shifter, ingalls etd, better tires, lightened flywheel, and maybe a different BPV(among others) will help your times.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you ever plan to move up to a 12psi pulley, I’d definitely go with some kind of engine management and some larger injector. Find out who can tune what before picking one up, a good tuner should be able to tune anything if you give him the software. Odds are if you haven’t had any problems with the s/c thus far, you’re probably in the clear. I burned both of mine up with 4k on each. Even if you’re running an after market pulley, it might be interesting to see what a good tuner could get out of it. I hear the midrange is good for a few. I forget what Magazine did a piggy back, maybe Modified, but they got 20whp out of the midrange (nothing at redline). This was on a stock setup. Anyone on here tune a 9-9.5psi setup???
Old 03-05-2007, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Anyone on here tune a 9-9.5psi setup???

Someone tuned a stock s/c with header, exhaust, and methanol and I think they got 248whp.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Water/Meth is the s###!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ya - i think they got 15-20whp with it. But the methanol isn't just power ....its cooling also. Overall its the best solution for a tuned s/c setup because adding extra pipe for the IC didn't turn out that well for a few guys.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
^ya - i think they got 15-20whp with it. But the methanol isn't just power ....its cooling also. Overall its the best solution for a tuned s/c setup because adding extra pipe for the IC didn't turn out that well for a few guys.
methanol is a good idea but i would prefer vortech to come out with a power cooler i think bcnu 702 said that he was working with vortech to create one i wonder if he has any updates

Quick Reply: Swithcing from the S/C?