Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Synapse Engineering BOV Testing Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 AM
SL Member

Default Synapse Engineering BOV Testing Day

What's up Boosted tC's!

We tested the Synapse Engineering BOV on one of our sponsored tC's (ZPI Stage 1.5 kit), and the results came back VERY positive. Prior to using the Synapse Engineering BOV, he was running an HKS SSQV venting to the atmosphere. He was experiencing extreme throttle delay, compressor surge, stalling after making boost and coming to a complete stop, and various other issues.

After simply bolting on the Synapse Engineering BOV using the HKS flange adapter and anti-stall kit, ALL of the issues went away. No re-tune, no fabrications... simply swapping the BOV provided an incredibly noticeable BOV.

Ever since then, we've been in contact with the folks at Synapse Engineering, and we have some exciting plans

Synapse Engineering has been getting RAVE reviews from all over the turbo market for their wastegate and BOV, and they are very confident in their products. We're very confident in their product line after seeing for ourselves what a difference it made in one of our sponsored cars.

We were going to take our second sponsored car (running a Dezod Kit), and testing it, when we decided to discuss the possibility of a full on testing day.

Essentially any turbo tC owner would be able to meet with us at Synapse Engineering and we'd perform a dyno run of their current BOV and/or Wastegate against the Synapse Engineering products so we can have data for website, and Synapse Engineering can get more info about our tC's as well. We can turn this into a meet and possibly do a few canyon runs and do a BBQ as well. Our friends from the Scion Underground Podcast will be there to interview many of you and feature your cars on their website and produce a video that you can download to your computer, iPod, or other personal media device.

How many of you guys would be interested? Synapse Engineering is located in San Diego, California.

Here are some videos of their products in action:

Synapse BOV on an s2k: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MU5Y6d9rh1k
Synapse BOV on a WRX Sti (our ZPI car sounded JUST LIKE this with the HKS BOV):http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ffj01k64AZI

Synapse Wastegate vs. competitor: http://youtube.com/watch?v=WjNbMTLzZck

All of Synapses Videos: http://youtube.com/user/synaptic1

We LOVE their products, and they have been extremely hands on with us, so definitely check them out! We've also lowered the prices on our website:

http://prestigeracing.net/store/inde...acturers_id=17
Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Id love the chance to be a guinea pig but i live in tx, send one to me and ill test it(with dyno and vid)...lol
Old 06-17-2008, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why don't you show pics of the BOV on a turbo'd Scion tC with the mentioned "Anti-stall" kit.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

nice, i've been wanting to use this synapse bov.. its pretty convincing and wanna see how much compressor surge it takes away compared to the HKS
Old 06-17-2008, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

People need to understand that the HKS SSQV is actually a very decent unit. You can adjust it to limit compressor surge. Why do you think 700whp Supras use it?

As for recirculation, there's a kit for the HKS so that you can reroute the BOV back into your intake tract.

This sounds more like a sales pitch than a helpful discovery for boosted Scions.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:00 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
People need to understand that the HKS SSQV is actually a very decent unit. You can adjust it to limit compressor surge. Why do you think 700whp Supras use it?

As for recirculation, there's a kit for the HKS so that you can reroute the BOV back into your intake tract.

This sounds more like a sales pitch than a helpful discovery for boosted Scions.
Why do you think so many Supra owners are switching to Synapse? http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho....php?p=1010107

The HKS BOV was good for it's time, but innovation and improvements are never a bad thing. The aftermarket industry in general should always be pushing to design better products rather than simply sticking with the same stuff because it "works ok".

There are always going to be doubters and critics who've never used the BOV to begin with, but just like ourselves, everyone who's actually TRIED one on their cars has loved it.

That's exactly why we're having this open testing. So we have definitive results for all the people who want to sit on the fence and call shenanigans!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry I just call it as I see it. It seems more like a sponsorship thing, hence the promotion of Synapses Now I'm not saying they don't have a good product - I'm not judging the product at all.

That link you provided is a 3-page thread which half of it is other Supra owners arguing against it. And that's not "many Supra owners". The few I know down here in South Florida stick with TiAL or Greddy R's. Some use more than one.

All I'm saying is - don't make the post sound like it's an amazing discovery for boosted Scions. This is just another product from Synapse which works very much like other products out in the market.

To me this sounds like a sponsored push. You call this BOV on your own website the Magic Pill. The results of no more stalling were the result of the "Anti-stall" kit which is just a recirculating kit.. which you can get with the HKS and Greddy and others.

That's all.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:32 PM
SL Member

I'm sorry I just call it as I see it. It seems more like a sponsorship thing, hence the promotion of Synapses Now I'm not saying they don't have a good product - I'm not judging the product at all.

That link you provided is a 3-page thread which half of it is other Supra owners arguing against it. And that's not "many Supra owners". The few I know down here in South Florida stick with TiAL or Greddy R's. Some use more than one.

All I'm saying is - don't make the post sound like it's an amazing discovery for boosted Scions. This is just another product from Synapse which works very much like other products out in the market.

To me this sounds like a sponsored push. You call this BOV on your own website the Magic Pill. The results of no more stalling were the result of the "Anti-stall" kit which is just a recirculating kit.. which you can get with the HKS and Greddy and others.

That's all.
Like we said, the doubters of Synapse BOV's have never used one. Notice who is against the Synapse BOV and who is for it in that thread.

Google it for yourself. What would be the purpose of us scouring the internet to convince people how great a product when they've already made up their mind before even trying it out?

That's why we're having an open testing day. It would be very bold of a company to call out every other BOV on the market by testing it on cars that are unaffiliated with said company if the product did not perform as advertised.

We're not sponsored by Synapse, nor do we receive kickbacks, or anything of the cynical sort. One of our sponsored cars picked up the BOV, and after the results, we decided to support Synapse as VERY FEW products for boosted tC's work by simply installing and go.

But you can continue to think it's a conspiracy if you wish. Nothing we can do about that!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ive been running one on my custom kit for about 2 months now. Works great. I too was using a HKS and like this one better. I was getting alot of surge in the lower boost levels. All gone now.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like you have it available with the Greddy flange. That means it will bolt right onto my Tnetics kit because the Tnetics Raptor and the Greddy use the same flange. I get mad compressor surge at partial boost with the Raptor.

Are they available for immediate delivery?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol no conspiracy theories here. I'm just calling it as I see it.

What do I see you ask?

*PrestigeRacing* We have found a wonderful new product for boosted Scions! It's a Magic Pill! (as stated in your website) Look, everyone is using it! It's got RAVE reviews!

*Actual Product* Your typical Piston-design BOV. It's outside shape looks similar to the HKS SSQV. Has an optional recirculating kit.

I'm sure it works well as a BOV - but it's no Magic Pill.

If you were having issues with the HKS, it could be due to MAF placement or just the lack of adjustment of BOV properly.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:58 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
Ive been running one on my custom kit for about 2 months now. Works great. I too was using a HKS and like this one better. I was getting alot of surge in the lower boost levels. All gone now.
Good stuff.

Originally Posted by Schuller
Looks like you have it available with the Greddy flange. That means it will bolt right onto my Tnetics kit because the Tnetics Raptor and the Greddy use the same flange. I get mad compressor surge at partial boost with the Raptor.

Are they available for immediate delivery?
We do have them available right now.

lol no conspiracy theories here. I'm just calling it as I see it.

What do I see you ask?

*PrestigeRacing* We have found a wonderful new product for boosted Scions! It's a Magic Pill! (as stated in your website) Look, everyone is using it! It's got RAVE reviews!

*Actual Product* Your typical Piston-design BOV. It's outside shape looks similar to the HKS SSQV. Has an optional recirculating kit.

I'm sure it works well as a BOV - but it's no Magic Pill.

If you were having issues with the HKS, it could be due to MAF placement or just the lack of adjustment of BOV properly.

When you actually use one for yourself, we'll have more interest.

I used to use my prior knowledge and apply it to things I had never used as well. "Turbo is bad because it has lag!"

Turbo tC's are making boost at 2500 RPM's!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Old 06-17-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^why do you have an air filter on your bov?
Old 06-17-2008, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Its stays open during vac. So it sucks in a little bit of air. Closes under heavy vac and boost. Its the reason for the anti-stall kit. I dont need that since I'm not using a MAF.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its stays open during vac. So it sucks in a little bit of air. Closes under heavy vac and boost. Its the reason for the anti-stall kit. I dont need that since I'm not using a MAF.
A properly working BOV should not be open while in vac. (I'm not saying this BOV is not working btw) Have you tried adjusting it? Does the Synapse have an adjustment screw?

To PrestigeRacing:

I'm not saying this doesn't work as a BOV. I'm just keeping people aware that surge issues are usually fixed by 1.) matching your setup with the proper type BOV 2.) adjusting the screw to either "soften" or "stiffen" the valve/piston whichever is appropriate. I'm also saying that the anti-stall feature you referred to is the same as everyone else's. It's an adapter that allows you to recirculate the BOV - provided you have an opening in your intake tract.

So to sum up - once again - it's another BOV. A nice looking unit I will admit. It works as advertised (I'm well aware of this). However it's not a magic pill. People who have surge issues have fixed them by adjusting the screw or even using a different vac source.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Yup I agree, I notice a lot of surge too at lower boost where the bov doesnt open or barely, sometimes a lil surge when not even on boost yet.. im thinking this one will be a good replacement, dont know how less the sound is less cooler though.. :

This thing i didnt know, this might be good to prevent unnecessary surge on while on vac.. Nice to have some more feedback on this one, so far I've only heard 2 here in SL.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol - people people...

Compressor surge cannot happen when you're in vac only. Compressor surge is the pressure of boost air rushing back towards the turbo because it couldn't fully vent (due too hard of setting on BOV).

If you hear noises in VAC - that means it's too soft and you're leaking air in.

Sometimes people mistaken the sound of a BOV at low boost to be compressor surge as well - this can be hard to diagnose sometimes. But usually you can feel compressor surge.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:19 PM
SL Member

A properly working BOV should not be open while in vac. (I'm not saying this BOV is not working btw) Have you tried adjusting it? Does the Synapse have an adjustment screw?

]To PrestigeRacing:

I'm not saying this doesn't work as a BOV. I'm just keeping people aware that surge issues are usually fixed by 1.) matching your setup with the proper type BOV
Synapse is Universal. It works with all setups as has been proven countless times by various owners online.

2.) adjusting the screw to either "soften" or "stiffen" the valve/piston whichever is appropriate. I'm also saying that the anti-stall feature you referred to is the same as everyone else's. It's an adapter that allows you to recirculate the BOV - provided you have an opening in your intake tract.
Wrong again. The Anti-Stall kit does NOT recirculate the BOV. On our test ZPI Stage 1.5, the anti stall kit setup is still a vent to atmosphere.

The Synapse BOV comes from the manufacturer ready to be recirculated with no additional parts needed.

So to sum up - once again - it's another BOV. A nice looking unit I will admit. It works as advertised (I'm well aware of this). However it's not a magic pill. People who have surge issues have fixed them by adjusting the screw or even using a different vac source.
Wrong yet again. Look at how fast the Synapse Piston based BOV actuates in comparison to the diaphragm based HKS.

Even our tuner commented on how fast it reacted. With NO adjustments, the synapse BOV cleared up several problems we were having with our HKS setup.

There's a video of a turbo Corvette gaining 25hp just from swapping the BOV to Synapse. This is not just "another bov". You have probably never even seen one in person, opened one up, or seen any first hand results, so as far as we're concerned, your comments are plain heresay.

There are countless amounts of people that agree with us, because they too have tried it for themselves. If you are so content on sticking to your inconclusive beliefs, why not just wait until the test day is over and we post the results?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Listen - do your test day. That's fine - in fact I'm glad you're doing it because all products should be going through this.

But remember - anyone can gain HP when replacing a BOV that wasn't properly adjusted in the first place! It's like having ECU brand X with a crappy tune getting replaced by ECU brand Y with a good tune and ECU Y gains 25 HP. This doesn't necessarily mean that ECU Y is better.. it is just replacing something that wasn't set up properly.

Quick Reply: Synapse Engineering BOV Testing Day