Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Synapse Engineering BOV Testing Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Yes - please post your IQ score as a reference.

I'm curious to see how many people actually have the competence to try and fix their "compressor surge" or "flutter-dump" before trying a whole new BOV.

And if so, please list all attempts in identifying if said noise is actually compressor surge and what attempts you took to fix it.

*thumbs-up*
haha x2. not saying the synapse won't fix the surge or w/e, but i'd like to know how many people are too lazy to try and solve their current BOV problem without buying a whole new setup

i had no idea compressor surge was this rampant with the HKS bovs.... i have a greddy type-rs and it's perfect..
Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
um...isn't browndog's tC an automatic?
yes it is!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaxtcracer

I'm curious to see how many people actually have the competence to try and fix their "compressor surge" or "flutter-dump" before trying a whole new BOV.

And if so, please list all attempts in identifying if said noise is actually compressor surge and what attempts you took to fix it.

*thumbs-up*
haha x2. not saying the synapse won't fix the surge or w/e, but i'd like to know how many people are too lazy to try and solve their current BOV problem without buying a whole new setup

i had no idea compressor surge was this rampant with the HKS bovs.... i have a greddy type-rs and it's perfect..
i think many people can't solve their issues because their BOVs aren't adjustable (HKS SSQV)

it would be cool if this could fix the "temporary rich condition" our cars see in between shifts under boost or letting off from boost. unfortunately, i don't think any BOV that vents to atmosphere will solve this problem on a car running MAF (unless the MAF is after the BOV)
Old 06-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get one of these while you are at it. It seems to do wonders for the CT9A evo guys
Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by satoman44

*thumbs-up*

i think many people can't solve their issues because their BOVs aren't adjustable (HKS SSQV)

it would be cool if this could fix the "temporary rich condition" our cars see in between shifts under boost or letting off from boost. unfortunately, i don't think any BOV that vents to atmosphere will solve this problem on a car running MAF (unless the MAF is after the BOV)
What's good about the Synapse BOV is that you can ricirc or vent to atmosphere without buying any additional pieces.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:20 PM
SL Member

*thumbs-up*
The fact that you need to resort to personal attacks and still haven't provided anything to back your claims that Synapse is anything other than what so many people have said says a lot...

That having been said, as we posted before, the Synapse BOV provided MORE than just ridding compressor surge, we gained a lot more throttle response as well. Many other users from various models had an increase in boost as the Synapse BOV does not leak at all, among other things.

How about doing a write up about adjusting the HKS BOV? So far you really haven't done much but bump the thread. Which is great BTW!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's an adjustment screw on the new type HKS SSQV - they've been out for a long time.

Only the very old ones do not have this adjustment screw.

You need instructions on turning a ****?

And what do I care about giving this thread a bump? You must think I want to see you fail. That couldn't be farther from the truth. I just called you out in the beginning - since I've already seen this with Synapse before - and their skewed marketing - specially against TiAL back in the day.

Cheers
Old 06-19-2008, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*thumbs-up*

i've had two HKS BOVs on the same setup, both flutterdump badly. i've tried swapping the vac source and rerouting all vac lines.

And my IQ gets the ladies

I'm gonna get one today or tomorrow, and ill get vids. IM me a discount code if you have one for the site, if that is an option.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Well the new HKS SSQV is not adjustable. That was the whole point of them bringing out the new version. Not just for pretty looks.

So i cant adjust my new hks ssqv and yes my car is an automatic and loves to stall on me. It stalled this morning on my car to work. Its annoying when your in traffic at a stop light and getting honked at.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

then to answer their question...I'd like to see all the afformentioned videos on a manual tc...
Old 06-20-2008, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Me too!^^
Old 06-20-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, buying one today since i found someone to buy my hks bov. manual tc, 315whp, 10psi, As soon as i get it, the vids will come.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If I had a way to tape it I'd already have one. This BOV sounds 10 times better then the HKS imo.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i get everything installed im willing to do a before/after on the dyno here at the shop. i already planned on getting the synapse awhile ago so i'll add to this when i do it!
Old 06-21-2008, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Got the synpase put on today and I love it! No more hesitation and stalling. Also auto or stick doesnt matter.

We both get flutter dump and turbo surge the same so whats that matter?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:15 AM
SL Member

So here are the results from Browndogg's BOV switch:

First a few important disclaimers:
1) The HKS BOV (Newer Model) that came with the dezod kit, did NOT have an adjustment screw on the back
2) We brought the HKS BOV (older model) that Soulquarian was using before on his ZPI setup, however, his did not have the adjustment screw either

Problems before:

- Stalling after launching the car
- Stalling after being n boost and coming to a short and complete stop
- LOTS of flutterdumo (aka Compressor Surge)

After switching to the Synapse BOV with the Anti-Stall kit, there was NO STALLING at all. We tried to recreate the HKS problem several times, and it never happened once. Not even on the 1 hour ride back to Orange County.

There was still a very small amount of compressor surge left. Nowhere near the HKS however. Many times, there was no surge at all. On average there would be a small amount of flutter and then it would be gone. The HKS tended to flutter all the way through. This will make more sense when you see the video.

We have several theories on why there was still compressor surge on Browndogg's tC and not Soulquarian's:

- Less hp
- Less Boost
- Automatic

The anti-stall kit definitely decreased the compressor surge, but it was not completely gone like other cars running the valve. As has been said time and time again for our tC's, Recirc is greatly recommended. We're going to get Browndogg's tC setup for recirc and perform the same comparison between the HKS and Synapse.

We'll post the video shortly. I think you'll all be quite pleased at just how much the Synapse performs over the HKS after just being bolted on.

We also saw a very small jump in Torque after switching BOV's. However, for concerns about the automatic transmission, we did not attempt to see if we could gain any additional horsepower or boost.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good job! cant' wait for videos, but I do feel results for the manual will be different (probably better) but it would be very intersting to compare the HKS recirc to this one.

One question, though...what is the Anti-Stall kit? Got a pic of it?
Old 06-21-2008, 06:05 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
good job! cant' wait for videos, but I do feel results for the manual will be different (probably better) but it would be very intersting to compare the HKS recirc to this one.

One question, though...what is the Anti-Stall kit? Got a pic of it?
We all pretty much agreed that a manual tC venting to atmosphere with the Synapse would perform better, and seeing as Soulquarian's car runs perfect without being recirculated, I'd say we have proof.

The anti-stall kit allows those who want to vent to the atmosphere to do so and not run lean during idle by sucking in unmetered air after the MAF. You may still run a little rich when shifting though, as the metered air is gone but the fuel is still in the system.

Recirculation is the way to go with our cars. Can't wait to get more results with the HKS recirculated!

Here's a pic of it:

Maybe Browndogg can take a picture of it installed.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very intersted in this new bov. I also want to replace my turbonetics raptor bov and was going to get an hks, but now i might actually get this one.

If we can round up enought people here, can we do a group buy and get some sort of discount?
Old 06-21-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I have some pics of it installed and I will try and get them posted up as soon as I can. Just have to get them off my camera and find a computer to use as mine broke.

Quick Reply: Synapse Engineering BOV Testing Day