Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

From the T to the A by the D

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DezodDon
Sure I can understand your frustration.

I will vouch for the quality of Dave's work and his knowledge. He is not dumb.

I'm not trying to discredit you I'm merely saying it sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. Just didn't think it was very nice of you to put someone down without knowing who or what (his setup) you are talking about. I also think he mentioned he had a built engine with head, and another one. No where do I recall reading anything about stock engine.

But whatever.

No i knew it was a built lower end as well.. And Im sure he is smart.. And i said that, And im sure he has one hell of a job.

But When spending that kind of money which i know is going to be alot. Revving more then needed is not worth the extra stress imo..

7800 rpms is plenty enough for a daily driven badass street tc.

Building a head that can support that is possible. Im sure the head you guys offer on the site could come dam close to 9k with the spring rates you offer. The porting could flow and a nice set of cams would be the key.

But the bottom end would be like a crackhead on the 1st of the month. (LOL) As i said. I came off very harsh, Its a bad flaw i have.. (expecially with the day im having today) And i do appolgize. But Id rather be an ___ today then see him later when he had issues.

If this is an all out drag car with no street use. Then hell goto 10k.

I also did not know he was working with you guys. Being as that he has someone with tons of tc experience you guys know whats best.

But going to some random tuner and saying put me at 9k could of been an issue!

Either way. Right or Wrong. Personally i would rather see a 7800-8000 redline.

But his motor, his car, his money!

Just recently a guy on another forum was mislead when he was told that the difference between the gsxr 600 and 750 was the head in regards to redline, He installed the 600 valve springs and valves and yoshi cams for the 600. Took it out 3 track events, he tore up the sides of the pistons so bad, it was blowing oil from the exh.

Ending this here.

Last edited by ElevationTC; 04-21-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you dont need a bunch of diplomas and certifications to prove you know what your are doing .... hundreds of self taught ppl across many platforms are DIY mechanics making amazing power and are very knowledgeable and trust worth in what they say ... anyone can pass a few exams and pick up a diploma... but its just that.. a piece of paper... cars should speak for themselves.. not certifications...

They have a better rod to stroke ratio than the Mitsubishi 2.4L which people rev that high on a regular basis.
doesnt the average 4g63/4 EVO 2.0L come with 88mm stroke and the tc come with a 96 mm stroke?

wouldnt a smaller stroke engine be easier to rev higher then a large stroke engine...(and ideal)... i mean isnt that what honda even bases all their B16/18 series and K20a series performance models from ?

yes u can rev to 9k... but at that level its a little overkill and begging for problems

BTW... that 2.4L u speak of i think comes in galants and the suv's... not the typical EVO thats revs to 9k which is a 2.0L ....

should be interesting to see what happens... not trying to jump on anyones post.. just giving my own thoughts
Old 04-21-2010, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
you dont need a bunch of diplomas and certifications to prove you know what your are doing .... hundreds of self taught ppl across many platforms are DIY mechanics making amazing power and are very knowledgeable and trust worth in what they say ... anyone can pass a few exams and pick up a diploma... but its just that.. a piece of paper... cars should speak for themselves.. not certifications...

doesnt the average 4g63/4 EVO 2.0L come with 88mm stroke and the tc come with a 96 mm stroke?

wouldnt a smaller stroke engine be easier to rev higher then a large stroke engine...(and ideal)... i mean isnt that what honda even bases all their B16/18 series and K20a series performance models from ?

yes u can rev to 9k... but at that level its a little overkill and begging for problems

BTW... that 2.4L u speak of i think comes in galants and the suv's... not the typical EVO thats revs to 9k which is a 2.0L ....

should be interesting to see what happens... not trying to jump on anyones post.. just giving my own thoughts

Pete I agree with you, you don't need certifications, however then what is the point of putting someone down for going, taking the tests, proving they have knowledge? It's not that big of a deal.

I was still referring the the 4G64 with it's 100 mm stroke
Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pete I agree with you, you don't need certifications, however then what is the point of putting someone down for going, taking the tests, proving they have knowledge? It's not that big of a deal.

I was still referring the the 4G64 with it's 100 mm stroke
yea but those came on NA cars (heavy like the galant's, spyders, etc etc)... we're talking about FI here...

unless you want to toss in the frankenswap of putting the the 63 head on the 64 bottom end like some evo/dsm owners jump into... that would be like taking the 2az block and slapping the gt-s head on it. his build is still an all 2azfe build.. not a frankenswap yet atleast lol
Old 04-21-2010, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
very nice! power goals?
hopefully 600+ we'll see.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dodaddy
awesome build!!!! Did you run the original GT30 setup with a stock block?
no only had the ZPI stg1 on the Stock block.

The TT setup was on full built long block.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ for sure thats attainable.. oops gt35 might be a lil short of breath after that
Old 04-21-2010, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by silvrtc300

What happen to that short block? Or your still using it?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
you dont need a bunch of diplomas and certifications to prove you know what your are doing .... hundreds of self taught ppl across many platforms are DIY mechanics making amazing power and are very knowledgeable and trust worth in what they say ...
TROOF!

lol
Old 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Revving out:

I know this motor isn't meant to be revved out to 9k. As Don said, it can but who knows what the life span will be. I know in order to safely rev the engine out you would need to de-stroke the engine. I've looked into it, and for the way I drive, I don't rev my car more than what I need. Just cause a car can do 9k or built a certain way, doesn't mean you have to drive it out to that all the time. I don't drive revving my car out on a daily basis, but when I need it, I got the 9k to help me out. (For them idiots who just think they can buy parts, put them on, and think their car can handle it. Then drive the snot out of it and wonder why it’s broken)

For the diplomas and certifications issue:

Well, I would rather in-trust my stuff with someone who has knowledge, the function, and has a further perspective of things. People on the DIY sites and forums seek help. I rather be the one who hands out help and advice, and that's why I choose to have something back my a$$, cause I rather be the one making the money rather than handing out money. It's true anyone can pick up a wrench and start to turn a few nuts and bolts. But do they really look more into the bolts, parts, and what its functions are for. Those DIY's are just there to save a few bucks. That's why the people with the certifications and the schooling make the bucks and know how to make the parts. (But I’m sure you know that)

My thoughts on that, but it’s whatever. People are going to think, say, and do as they please. See me on the streets/track/or coarse and we’ll let the driving and the cars do the talking.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by m6ar2cel6oTC
What happen to that short block? Or your still using it?
I may hold on to it and N/A it and place it into this:

Or I may sell it. I don't know. Make an Offer
Old 04-21-2010, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I would rather in-trust my stuff with someone who has knowledge, the function, and has a further perspective of things. People on the DIY sites and forums seek help. I rather be the one who hands out help and advice, and that's why I choose to have something back my a$$, cause I rather be the one making the money rather than handing out money. It's true anyone can pick up a wrench and start to turn a few nuts and bolts. But do they really look more into the bolts, parts, and what its functions are for. Those DIY's are just there to save a few bucks. That's why the people with the certifications and the schooling make the bucks and know how to make the parts. (But I’m sure you know that)
i know that... infact thats probably as basic and common sense to anyone on here, no need for long winded explanations. like i said... anyone can pass a test and be lucky getting the answers right. but honestly i'd rather trust my car with joe shmoe who makes good reliable power on his own car and knows what hes talking about then someone who makes money because a paper says "they're qualified" .... i can take a rocket scientists exam and pass but that doesnt mean i can actually put a rocket that works together... honestly, if you need a paper to help support your advise then somethings wrong there. not knocking on you per say... thats great you wanted ase certifications and all if u want to be a mechanic... alot of ppl dont want to be one yet can probably school most certified ppl out there... i say that from experience as ive met my fair share of ase ppl who really should be growing flowers and not fixing performance cars

as i did say earlier also... should be interesting to see your outcome GL!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by cburglb34
grabbing popcorn ....

btw pretty sure there ZERO complaints of mtuned ....

but who am i to speak im just some kid who swings by the *****...

ive had zero issue's with my car being tuned by mike on 12 psi and 16 psi with a fully built long block...

my friend is tuned by him makeing good power on stock block with zero issue's

everyone i send to mike tells me there car run's great... so u should back up buddy when u dunno what ur talking about... have a good day
Old 04-21-2010, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

damn let the man have his thread back...lol
Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

and the thing about ase certs doesint mean ____ there is a bunch of ace certified tech's that work for the company i work for and are dumber than ____... all they did was study for the test and pass it.. the test does need experiance u can study for it and pass it....

but in other terms... nice manifold and turbo and goodluck
Old 04-21-2010, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cburglb34
grabbing popcorn ....

btw pretty sure there ZERO complaints of mtuned ....

but who am i to speak im just some kid who swings by the *****...
dude....your ignorant.

if you want to start a vs thread. then
there have been no complaints from "c and c tuned".

mike this has nothing to do with you(not meaning that in a bad way) its against cburglb and his stupid mouth.

we all know mike is a great tuner....and cburglb sucks.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this website going in the crapper
Old 04-21-2010, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dave what would you charge me to take your old built motor and old kit and put it into my car?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
this website going in the crapper
i strongly disagree with this statement
Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you ever take the car to the track on the built motor, and if so, do you have any slips or vids?