Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Tanner Foust Drift TC doing some test runs

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TY_DESCENDANT
SCION is about pushing away from tradition and expressing yourself in a way no one else has. If the rules allow what has been done or modified to the vehicle then it is cool. The thought and words always get tossed around from forum to forum about corporate back teams that build a car that doesn't have certain characteristics of a OE vehicle. But everyone would probably laugh if you came out with a stock looking tC with minimal modifications to compete in a highly factory backed sport. so these modifications are highly needed to be competitive in the sport.

In addition from a racing view point a turbo charged vehicle has lots of other variables that could encounter problems in competition (ic pipes burst, boost control, turbo maintenance, ect.) And if you do decide to campaign a high HP turbo platform you will have to R&D parts where as the V8 community has been around for years and it is a proven race product. Taking the guess work out of racing is a great state of mind when trying to build cars in the off season. Use something that works and has been proven by higher budgeted facilities

Formula D I don't think is as "factory" backed than other motorsports. To be honest, following drifting, I don't know of any other OE Factor in Drifting that is as heavily involved as Scion is. Most of the BIG podium finisher guys are heavily factory backed (Millen, Hubinette, Foust)....the rest are team based (Falken tires, Toyo Tires...etc). The difference though with the other heavily backed ones is, their cars are heavily modded OE cars. Tanner's Scion is "less" of that feel...imo. Don't get me wrong though....I would sell a kidney for that car....lol.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

damm job firewall..........

cant wait to get home to see the vids!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by MrC_Ptuning
Great marketing for Scion. Something we can all relate to, a RWD Scion tC with a pushrod V8 motor that doesn't even exists on any Toyota platform. Is this a TRD upgrade that we can buy for the tC; Anyone have part# for this? They should have at least used a 32-valve V8 from a Tundra or LS450. Also does anyone know which Camry trim comes in rear-wheel drive with a pushrod V8. Gushi's car, i can relate to, Tanner's car, might as well have been an IS350.

MrC

My thoughts as well, that was the whole basis behind my comments about a "believable/achievable" build when comparing Gushi's tC to Tanner's. Gushi tC is closer to earth should we say.

Tanner has a bad **** car.....but it's further away from being any Scion ever made to perform in Motorsports. If they went with a V8 Tundra motor, I would think it would be a LOT closer to home.

Hell, I think one of the 350z FD drift cars is using a Tundra V8 (Chris Foresberg I think).
Yeah but how many people have even seriously considering turning the tC into a RWD car? Gushi's car shed some light on it, but no one is going to try to do that. I'm talking about at a personal level, without sponsors. For the cost of the project, it's farther than unreasonable to accomplish. I've honestly heard of more V8 swaps (3) than I have I-4 swaps (1).
Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Great marketing for Scion. Something we can all relate to, a RWD Scion tC with a pushrod V8 motor that doesn't even exists on any Toyota platform. Is this a TRD upgrade that we can buy for the tC; Anyone have part# for this? They should have at least used a 32-valve V8 from a Tundra or LS450. Also does anyone know which Camry trim comes in rear-wheel drive with a pushrod V8. Gushi's car, i can relate to, Tanner's car, might as well have been an IS350.

MrC

My thoughts as well, that was the whole basis behind my comments about a "believable/achievable" build when comparing Gushi's tC to Tanner's. Gushi tC is closer to earth should we say.

Tanner has a bad **** car.....but it's further away from being any Scion ever made to perform in Motorsports. If they went with a V8 Tundra motor, I would think it would be a LOT closer to home.

Hell, I think one of the 350z FD drift cars is using a Tundra V8 (Chris Foresberg I think).
Yeah but how many people have even seriously considering turning the tC into a RWD car? Gushi's car shed some light on it, but no one is going to try to do that. I'm talking about at a personal level, without sponsors. For the cost of the project, it's farther than unreasonable to accomplish. I've honestly heard of more V8 swaps (3) than I have I-4 swaps (1).

I have.... But then again, I'm a drifter too..

As much as my boy in my crew is spending on his tC....he could do a RWD conversion. I don't think it's crossed his mind yet though....
Old 04-06-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

MrC

As much as my boy in my crew is spending on his tC....he could do a RWD conversion. I don't think it's crossed his mind yet though....
I-4 swaps, not RWD conversions . Personally, if I did a swap, I'd throw a small block V8 in there. The only 4 cylinder motor that I would even consider, is the 2.0L Puegot motor. 285HP N/A from the factory. The only Toyota motor that I would even consider, is the obvious 2JZ...and for the amount of work needed to do that, I'd scratch that and go straight for an LSX and be able to run 500WHP on 87 octane, or 800WHP on 93. Toyota doesn't make a single engine worth mentioning anymore. Their 5.7 V8 is decent, but it's miles behind an LS7, and continents behind the LSX.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Open the window and a breeze rolls in and I J*zz in my pants....
Open this thread and watch that video and I J*zz in my pants..
Old 04-06-2009, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

MrC

I-4 swaps, not RWD conversions . Personally, if I did a swap, I'd throw a small block V8 in there. The only 4 cylinder motor that I would even consider, is the 2.0L Puegot motor. 285HP N/A from the factory. The only Toyota motor that I would even consider, is the obvious 2JZ...and for the amount of work needed to do that, I'd scratch that and go straight for an LSX and be able to run 500WHP on 87 octane, or 800WHP on 93. Toyota doesn't make a single engine worth mentioning anymore. Their 5.7 V8 is decent, but it's miles behind an LS7, and continents behind the LSX.

of V8's, would have to go with a Tundra V8

- Inline 6 = 2jz

- 4cyl = 3s-gte

I have to disagree with you. Those motors you mentioned have to have more cyl then I can count on one hand to produce those power numbers.

Nonetheless.....can't wait to see FD this year. Hope to make it to the Atlanta event again this year.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MrC

285hp??? maybe Nm.... and not from an n/a... if yes than im pretty sure they have to take apart the engine after every few race
Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 PM
SL Member

Hell, I think one of the 350z FD drift cars is using a Tundra V8 (Chris Foresberg I think).[/quote]

Nissan Titan V8
Old 04-06-2009, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

i agree with carbon on the fact that there are no new toyota motors to praise!

no more 2jz's or 3sgte's or even 4age's

but at least they put a toyota motor (albeit not a production one) but at least its toyota, lol
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Banned

Great marketing for Scion. Something we can all relate to, a RWD Scion tC with a pushrod V8 motor that doesn't even exists on any Toyota platform. Is this a TRD upgrade that we can buy for the tC; Anyone have part# for this? They should have at least used a 32-valve V8 from a Tundra or LS450(?). Also does anyone know which Camry trim comes in rear-wheel drive with a pushrod V8. Gushi's car, i can relate to, Tanner's car, might as well have been an IS350.

MrC
I'd rather see the IS-F 5.0 than the big block, but running a NASCAR motor w/ 700hp in a tC is pretty sick, nice to see the TRD/Gibbs motors too. I can't wait to see them in the LBC next week, hopefully will be going all 3 days.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TY_DESCENDANT

Nissan Titan V8

That's right...that's what I was looking for.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by chicotunner07
i agree with carbon on the fact that there are no new toyota motors to praise!

no more 2jz's or 3sgte's or even 4age's

but at least they put a toyota motor (albeit not a production one) but at least its toyota, lol

Kinda hard to push a conglomerate to cater to that section, when they are already on top and crusin just making econo cars.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

- Inline 6 = 2jz

- 4cyl = 3s-gte

I have to disagree with you. Those motors you mentioned have to have more cyl then I can count on one hand to produce those power numbers.

Nonetheless.....can't wait to see FD this year. Hope to make it to the Atlanta event again this year.
Considering an LSX is a V8, then yes, it needs two hands to count the cylinders. So I don't get what you're trying to get at with that. Unless you're trying to say that a 4-banger can hit those numbers...which it can't on 87 octane. And I meant current engines.

Regardless, the Tundra V8 is nothing in comparison to the LS7, and it's laughable to compare it to the LSX.

And yes CSOCSO, I meant 2.0L 285HP N/A.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

- Inline 6 = 2jz

- 4cyl = 3s-gte

Considering an LSX is a V8, then yes, it needs two hands to count the cylinders. So I don't get what you're trying to get at with that. Unless you're trying to say that a 4-banger can hit those numbers...which it can't on 87 octane. And I meant current engines.

Regardless, the Tundra V8 is nothing in comparison to the LS7, and it's laughable to compare it to the LSX.

I would keep it Toyota that's what I'm getting at. If I had to go different manufacture, I would have to go along the lines of a LS1.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

- Inline 6 = 2jz

- 4cyl = 3s-gte

I would keep it Toyota that's what I'm getting at. If I had to go different manufacture, I would have to go along the lines of a LS1.
Gotcha. I knew that's what you meant with the 2JZ and the 3S, but I thought you were actually trying to compare a Toyota V8 with a GM V8 .

And I'm sure if you knew that the GM rated the LSX for up to 2500HP, you'd want that over the LS1 .
Old 04-06-2009, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^I would never push past 5-600whp. 2500hp is not much of a selling point for me in that regard.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

^^I would never push past 5-600whp. 2500hp is not much of a selling point for me in that regard.
Fine then. 500WHP on pump gas, without the need for meth. Actually, the LSX can run 650-700 on 93 octane.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Fine then. 500WHP on pump gas, without the need for meth. Actually, the LSX can run 650-700 on 93 octane.

Fine then, only if it was the same dimensions and cost the same as the LS1.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Fine then, only if it was the same dimensions and cost the same as the LS1.
Ya got me there .

Quick Reply: Tanner Foust Drift TC doing some test runs