Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

temporary blue smoke from exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default temporary blue smoke from exhaust...

temporary blue smoke from exhaust... i was driving, boosted for a bit and saw blue smoke come out of my exhaust like mad. BUT then i came to a stop and it was still smoking but not as bad. about 5 mins later it stopped smoking and havent been smoking while i have been driving around. What could this mean? I mean if i blew something it would smoke constantly right? It doesnt smoke at all anymore.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

use premium gas?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the same problem and i have been told its the piston rings!! and some say blown turbo seals, honestly i think i have both lol.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, when I had my supercharger, it wouldnt start after I cranked it about 15 times. When it finally did crank, and I drove off. I had puffs of blue smoke for like 5 minutes. Then it went away. Now my motor blew :D. Hopefully that means something lol.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do a compression test to check if you have bad rings and if those are good then it could be turbo seals... i had the same problem and it came out to be the turbo seals going bad.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:30 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Blue smoke = oil

White smoke = water / coolant

Black smoke = gas / fuel related
Old 03-22-2009, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Based on that info, piston rings!
Old 03-22-2009, 02:45 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by HEYitzMEEE
well actually based upon what turbo_tc said, it more than likely is a seal on the turbo. It could be rings, but the part when he was boosting, then came to a stop, and then it was still smoking.

Rings should be smoking all the time, and it wouldn't just stop like that, but it still could be rings.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it could be the rings though. I had a fried ring and it only smoked for about 10 minutes then stopped. Lol who knows... my car just had very bad luck.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think it could be the rings though. I had a fried ring and it only smoked for about 10 minutes then stopped. Lol who knows... my car just had very bad luck.
True, I am sorry for all the bad luck you have had. Don't forget, I have had my share of bad luck as well.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ It's okay. I've been given the opportunity to get something better now.. lol.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the same exact problem. The smoke would be there one minute and then it would be gone the next. I fixed the problem by adding an oil restrictor to the feed line. I came to this conclusion after reading a part of Corky Bell's Maximum Boost

Originally Posted by Corky Bell's [u
Maximum Boost[/u]] Too much oil pressure can create problems with turbos. It is even possible to force oil past oil seals that are in perfect condition if oil pressures exceeds 65 to 70 psi at the turbo. If a particular engine creates more oil pressure than the seals can handle, it may be necessary to install a restrictor or bypass system to reduce pressure at the turbo.

Problems of oil pressure overpowering the seal are evident in a frequent if not quite constant smoking problem....
Another thing I would check for is if oil is in your intercooler piping. I would check this first because this fix is much cheaper then replacing piston rings.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by equinox2355
well actually based upon what turbo_tc said, it more than likely is a seal on the turbo. It could be rings, but the part when he was boosting, then came to a stop, and then it was still smoking.

Rings should be smoking all the time, and it wouldn't just stop like that, but it still could be rings.
well, the car doesnt smoke at all anymore. even when i do minimal boost. Idles fine with no smoke, drives normal with no smoke, no unusual noises from the turbo. No smoke from the engine bay area either. IF i did blow something in the engine, wouldnt it still be smoking constantly?

ALSO, right now my car is running rich and has been running rich before the blue smoke appeared. does running wayy too rich have anything to do with blue temporary smoke? My friend says that i was running too rich when i hit it and blue smoke appeared. And if it doesnt smoke anymore then i'm fine.

I have been driving it for about 300 miles already and havent seen ANY blue smoke or any kind of smoke from my exhaust. Well just a small puff of black smoke when i start the car.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, the car doesnt smoke at all anymore. even when i do minimal boost. Idles fine with no smoke, drives normal with no smoke, no unusual noises from the turbo. No smoke from the engine bay area either. IF i did blow something in the engine, wouldnt it still be smoking constantly?

ALSO, right now my car is running rich and has been running rich before the blue smoke appeared. does running wayy too rich have anything to do with blue temporary smoke? My friend says that i was running too rich when i hit it and blue smoke appeared. And if it doesnt smoke anymore then i'm fine.

I have been driving it for about 300 miles already and havent seen ANY blue smoke or any kind of smoke from my exhaust. Well just a small puff of black smoke when i start the car.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:28 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Maybe you didn't see the right color. Gray / Black is rich. If it was a blueish smoke, that is oil. Could have been blow-by, or an issue with the seal on the turbo. Best to do a compression check and have someone look at the turbo.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe you didn't see the right color. Gray / Black is rich. If it was a blueish smoke, that is oil. Could have been blow-by, or an issue with the seal on the turbo. Best to do a compression check and have someone look at the turbo.

it was deff. blue from what i saw along with 3 other people. If its the seals on the turbo, wouldnt it constantly be smoking?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by turbo_tC4

it was deff. blue from what i saw along with 3 other people. If its the seals on the turbo, wouldnt it constantly be smoking?
Well depending on the issue, if it was on the turbo, it may only have that when at high(er) boost.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Tale my advice with a grain of salt, but it sounds like oil supply/return issues. If it's only starting under boost, then you're probably blowing oil by the turbo seals. Whether that's because the seals are bad, or just because you're supplying too much oil / not being able to move oil back to the pan fast enough, you'll need to turn a wrench or two to figure out.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by turbo_tC4

Well depending on the issue, if it was on the turbo, it may only have that when at high(er) boost.

If its my turbo, then wouldnt i see oil in the intercooler pipe, etc..etc..? also, no oil leaking through the downpipe area either... i was also boosting the other day, no smoke at all either.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZacMan1987
Tale my advice with a grain of salt, but it sounds like oil supply/return issues. If it's only starting under boost, then you're probably blowing oil by the turbo seals. Whether that's because the seals are bad, or just because you're supplying too much oil / not being able to move oil back to the pan fast enough, you'll need to turn a wrench or two to figure out.

If its the oil line then it would of been smoking before this happened. The oil return line is trimmed so there's no knicks, got a brand new oil feed line from dezod too. I dont think its the turbo already, because there is only 800 miles on the turbo...

Quick Reply: temporary blue smoke from exhaust...