Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Those of you with the TRD SC, would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Those of you with the TRD SC, would you do it again?

Ok everyone I am thinking about the charger but I have like 25000 miles on the car and kinda nervous about going forced induction, but that is where all the power is. So everyone with the TRD SC would you do it all again, knowing what you know now would you do it again becuz the steep price tag is making me alittle eerie and everything thats like a couple of months worth of pay. I would also like to put on some lowering springs and rims but if I decide to get the charger I will do that first.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

steep price tag
of course i would do it again. its all up to you, but do shop more because i paid nowhere near what everybody is paying!

what is the price you been getting?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

____ here in Vero Florida you got like 2 dealers to choose from and they are both quoting about $3900 after everything. I do believe they are ripping me off. Hell I can buy the kit from trdsparks for like what $2900 something like that so they are trying to say a grand for labor. Should be more like 5 or 6 for labor. But I do want the charger its just I do not want to put out 4grand for something that won't even break 200hp. You know what I mean. tikbhoy did you get your charger locally or online then had someone install it locally?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Facing the same problem here in NJ. Most of the dealers around here have never even done the install.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

____ I have a credit card right now that say TRD Supercharger on it right now but first I got to find it cheaper than I have and hopefully the dealerships WON'T funk it up.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member

I'm picking up my new S/C scion on saturday. I think it depends on what you want. Personally I don't care if I can do 13's, so having a fast car with a warranty is cool. If you want something rediculously fast and don't care about warranty issues go with a turbo it would seem. If you can live with only doing cat back exhaust and maybe headers with jet hot until some other options come out, the S/C is a nice option that keeps your car under warranty.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by justmyluck
poop here in Vero Florida you got like 2 dealers to choose from and they are both quoting about $3900 after everything. I do believe they are ripping me off. Hell I can buy the kit from trdsparks for like what $2900 something like that so they are trying to say a grand for labor. Should be more like 5 or 6 for labor. But I do want the charger its just I do not want to put out 4grand for something that won't even break 200hp. You know what I mean. tikbhoy did you get your charger locally or online then had someone install it locally?
The TRD supercharger puts out more like 225hp
Old 05-04-2006, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you have no other choice than close to 4grand to get the TRD SC, il rather get the greddy kit + the upgrades, easier to install by urself.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would not do it again.. No way, No how...

Definately not worth the hassle, but you may have better luck than I.
I would suggest going turbo or getting a different car.. Since you already have 25000 miles, I would suggest waiting and turboing when the warranty runs out, if that is what you are worried about at all.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion-ce
can u prove it with a dyno?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I would do it again. And zucc there is a dyno on my profile. I ran 231 wheel hp with just an NST pulley and a megan header. Also I bought the sc from TRD sparks and installed it myself so my price was $2950 out the door for the charger.

Scion ce is talking about 225 to the crank when installed. It nets right at 200wheel hp is most cases. Some around 195whp.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I don't personally have any forced induction yet, but for the price...you're better off with the Turbonetics Turbo kit. It puts down 240 to the wheels and they're actually trying to get it so that it doesn't void the warranty. From what i understand, it hasn't been approved yet, but if it does and warranty voiding is a concern, just wait a while longer
Old 05-04-2006, 11:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by zucc
Originally Posted by Scion-ce
can u prove it with a dyno?
there are a bunch of dynos posted on SL of people that dynoed with ONLY the supercharger. Just search. I have not seen a s/c tC dyno less than 192whp, which equates to about 216hp (assuming 13% drivetrain loss). Some even got as much as 200whp which equates to about 225hp (once again assuming 13% drivetrain loss. These number will vary depending on type of dynos used and the temperature,weather, etc. So you are lookin at between 215 and 225hp with JUST the supercharger.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
I don't personally have any forced induction yet, but for the price...you're better off with the Turbonetics Turbo kit. It puts down 240 to the wheels and they're actually trying to get it so that it doesn't void the warranty. From what i understand, it hasn't been approved yet, but if it does and warranty voiding is a concern, just wait a while longer
How is it better for the price..? Lets see... I am at 231 on a dyno run that I let off 250 rpm early, I paid $2950 + $100+ $200 to acheive this.

How much is the turbonetics kit..? And it is netting 10 more wheel hp..?
Old 05-05-2006, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

First, do you have other mods or just the SC? because the SC alone does not put that to the wheels (according to TRD it only puts 195hp to the wheels). The Turbonetics kit is 300hp at the flywheel and 243 at the wheels without other mods. You can get the turbonetics kit for 3950.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I see this quite simply....

If you value your factory warranty and wanna do FI, the TRD SC is the way to go. It was designed so that the average dealer mechanic could support it.

If you don't give a rat's ___ about that, buy something else...

You spend $16k+ on your car. You likely dropped some decent coin on appearance mods.

Paying out major bucks to fix drivetrain problems is a hobby for the rich. If you're going to plink down $3k+ to do forced induction, do it in a way that reduces your risk long term IF you don't have the bucks to make the possible repairs that come from a 3rd party turbo manufacturer.

That should make your decision easy.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Default s/c

I have 3k on my supercharger and I don't run it too hard. It is already leaking oil from the seals and blowing oil into the throttle body -- NOT GOOD. (no headers or other top end mods, either)

You'll find plenty of other posts on here with other who are experiencing the same problem.

I will probably be switching out to a turbo kit, because I do NOT trust the s/c design at this point in time.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:36 AM
j10
5 Year Member

if i buy the supercharger from another place other then a dealer but have the dealer install it. will i have the warrenty still?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm guessing you are still buying the sc from a dealer, maybe just not your local one. Warranty should be fine for up to 60k if a dealer installs it, i think for 12k if you do it yourself.
As for the "issues" with the sc; we'd still do ours again. We're close to 10k on the sc, no mods and no probs ( i'm not saying the 2 go hand in hand ). Our car is the wife's daily driver, so warranty is important to us. And if our unit developes a problem, then it will be fixed/replaced. The performance is solid even stock; so i'd base any decision on what you are thinking of long term for the car,, and what your true goals are....
Old 05-05-2006, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

yes, 12k warranty if you have a shop do it or you do it yourself.

I think 12k is long enough for any problems to show up while it's still under warranty.

My problem is in the time I will lose switching it out, and and whether or not I'm going to be getting replacement parts BEFORE I send back the bad blower. My car is a daily driver, and the s/c has been heavily touted as the most reliable option for additional go power. I can't say I agree right now!

Quick Reply: Those of you with the TRD SC, would you do it again?