Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Those of you with the TRD SC, would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, I would do it again. Mine is stock. No problems whatsoever. I get a big grin every time I accelerate.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well actually I plan to keep this car as long as possible... if it blows a motor in 2 to 3 years will probably get another one put in. I love this car and once it gets paid off I do not want to be tied down into another payment. So I do care about the long term life of my car, I know that the one way to make sure it lasts long is to take care of it and TRY to keep it stock but I think the guys and girls from TRD knew so what of what they were doing when they made these things. So I will probably buy me one. 200hp is fine with me I am not trying to do all the crazy street racing I use to just trying to give her alittle more pep and for the occasional WOT driving. So for everyone that has one... how much did you pay? did you install yourself, or have a shop do it or did you go to the stealership.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: s/c

Originally Posted by tc4fun4me
I have 3k on my supercharger and I don't run it too hard. It is already leaking oil from the seals and blowing oil into the throttle body -- NOT GOOD. (no headers or other top end mods, either)

You'll find plenty of other posts on here with other who are experiencing the same problem.

I will probably be switching out to a turbo kit, because I do NOT trust the s/c design at this point in time.
Hey man, you need to go over and post about what happened in this thread...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...2782&start=325

It will REALLY help out over there.. Thanks in advance man.. I am 100% with you on this one.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member

tc4fun4me wrote:
I have 3k on my supercharger and I don't run it too hard. It is already leaking oil from the seals and blowing oil into the throttle body -- NOT GOOD. (no headers or other top end mods, either)

You'll find plenty of other posts on here with other who are experiencing the same problem.

I will probably be switching out to a turbo kit, because I do NOT trust the s/c design at this point in time.
Your profile sais you have an aftermarket pully, read your warranty.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the supercharger IS relatively cheap, it is, or is one of the cheapest f/i packages for 3200, 2950 online. 4000 for a turbo. plus the sc retains warranty, which everyone knows, and turbos do not. trd being way over priced usually makes 3200 seem like dirt. i wouldnt have been suprised to see the kit go over 4000.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had mine for two weeks or so now. It is fun as all get out. Going turbo was not something I wanted to do. Warranty, and all.

I personally think that the SC is worth every penny. Folks who complain about TRD or problems have modded their rides within the first year of the SC kit being out.... so they have barely let enough time go by to see if there are any problems with the kit itself, much less make any potential problems worse by modding. (No disrespect to those who have done so... I am just more cautious.)

For what its worth, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: s/c

Have you taken your car in to the dealer yet? I'm wondering what they tell you concerning repair/replacement, in comparison to what highlandermac went thru.
In other words, are you getting yours fixed? And if so are they fixing parts, or replacing the complete unit?
thanks
Old 05-05-2006, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UH-OH!!
Old 05-05-2006, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

I'm inquiring to the seller of the part (east coast dealer), the local dealership, and TRD. I will post my results on my efforts to replace the blower unit (nothing wrong with any of the other parts).

As for the previous post about my profile, I did put the crank pulley on (it is NOT an underdrive, but full size), but I never had a chance to install the s/c pulley. So, I have the stock fan belt, etc. I stand by my view that this supercharger should not be leaking OR blowing oil into the throttle body after 3k miles.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm inquiring to the seller of the part (east coast dealer), the local dealership, and TRD. I will post my results on my efforts to replace the blower unit (nothing wrong with any of the other parts).

As for the previous post about my profile, I did put the crank pulley on (it is NOT an underdrive, but full size), but I never had a chance to install the s/c pulley. So, I have the stock fan belt, etc. I stand by my view that this supercharger should not be leaking OR blowing oil into the throttle body after 3k miles.
Post all of you results in the "Calling all Supercharger owners..." thread...
Old 05-05-2006, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by HighlanderMac

Post all of you results in the "Calling all Supercharger owners..." thread...
+1
Old 05-05-2006, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well guys it is safe to say I WILL NOT be buying the charger from the stealership. When I went in today for a price it was $3500 for just the kit that is not even with the labor of the install or anything so lets see they are charging like $550 more than trdsparks.com. I think I will buy it from there and then see about getting it installed. How many have installed it themselves and is it best to have the dealer or a shop to install or for the owner themselves to install?
Old 05-05-2006, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by justmyluck
Well guys it is safe to say I WILL NOT be buying the charger from the stealership. When I went in today for a price it was $3500 for just the kit that is not even with the labor of the install or anything so lets see they are charging like $550 more than trdsparks.com. I think I will buy it from there and then see about getting it installed. How many have installed it themselves and is it best to have the dealer or a shop to install or for the owner themselves to install?
just buy the kit from TRDsparks and have the dealer do the install. You will retain the warranty and get the kit for $500 less
Old 05-05-2006, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

HAHAHA $3200 is the max retail they are supposed to have it for. Cost on the kit is just over $2800
Old 05-05-2006, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

I know that is some BS that they were giving me but oh well I guess trdsparks.com will get my business and then I'll have the OTHER dealership do the install F them people that told me $3500. They can kiss my white a$$
Old 05-05-2006, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member

I just got my supercharger installed 3 days ago. The dealer wanted to sell the s/c for $3,200 but I bargained them down to $3,000. The install was $85/hr x 8 hrs. They also included a rental for me for a day and a half for free.

IMO, the supercharger is good but overrated and over hyped. It definitely pulls harder especially over 4k RPM, but was it worth the ~$4k? Probably not. The car still won't pull as hard as many cars with V6's. I have been testing it out for the past 3 days with the pedal to the metal. If you really want more power I would suggest putting that $4k into a motorcycle or a different car with a V6 and more hp...
Old 05-06-2006, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hey man, sorry to hear your a bit dissapointed. The sc can me made to RIP sooooo much harder than it does now with a few basic mods.

First on the cheapy list is to replace your bypass valve with at least a sport 110 bosch. Responce is allot better.

Next order in an NST pulley and get a 2260mm belt to go with it. That will make a MASSIVE difference in midrange power.

Last easy mod add a header and s-pipe, if you do not like noise then keep the stock exhaust and just add these. With these relativly cheap mods... your sc tc will be transformed into a whole new car instantly guaranteed. I could not beleive the difference after I did the mods compared to just the sc. Was night and day. Weeeee factor went through the roof!

Last add a custom intake . With those mods alone you will be in the 230-240 whp. Right now you at about 195-200 wheel peak. I cut almost 3/4 of a second off my 1/4mile time with just those mods. 13's here I come! Few more custom mods to go
Old 05-06-2006, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SuperDuperScion
I just got my supercharger installed 3 days ago. The dealer wanted to sell the s/c for $3,200 but I bargained them down to $3,000. The install was $85/hr x 8 hrs. They also included a rental for me for a day and a half for free.

IMO, the supercharger is good but overrated and over hyped. It definitely pulls harder especially over 4k RPM, but was it worth the ~$4k? Probably not. The car still won't pull as hard as many cars with V6's. I have been testing it out for the past 3 days with the pedal to the metal. If you really want more power I would suggest putting that $4k into a motorcycle or a different car with a V6 and more hp...

its not overhyped, you are comparing it to something you cant. V6
Old 05-06-2006, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel bad for waiting so long to post. I love my supercharged tC. I ordered it (the supercharger) the day it became available, and have put about 7,000 miles on it. If you think it's overpriced, compare dollars per whp against the turbo kits and you will see that the supercharger is a bargain. And do not add installation price to the equation because none of the turbo kits include installation in their price. The only negative that I see is the way that TRD is being a warranty **** about mods.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ same here. We had a deposit on one right away, and have enjoyed it so far . I agree TRD is holding strong on their mod list; hopefully with some more time on these units, and testing in the real world, there will be some relaxing of those regs.... even if that means TRD's own equipment instead of aftermarket....
we don't look at the price of just the sc, but at the car with it on; and for us the total package is a solid value.
There have been a couple issues with the sc, time will tell if that was due to modding or if there is a defect; but those issues haven't lessened our enthusiasm with our ride...

Quick Reply: Those of you with the TRD SC, would you do it again?