Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Throttle response

Originally Posted by Soulquarian
I have a ZPI Stage 1.5 that's currently downtuned. I'm at 4 PSI and making about 224whp.

For a few weeks, I've been experiencing some serious throttle response issues. Whenever I shift, there seems to be a half second delay between gas and acceleration. Makes driving VERY jerky. I had a ZPI stage 0 previously, and I didn't have this problem. I have a few theories:

1) I need colder spark plugs
2) My Greddy Emanage Ultimate and Stock ECU are not playing nice
3) I need a lighter flywheel

I really think it's something eletrical, but I'm not sure. Throttle delays in shifting happen in a variety of RPM's.
Do you have a blow-off valve? If so, is it dumping to atmosphere? Recirculate it, it'll do wonders. Also, if you are using something like the HKS SSQ (a piston-based blow off valve) you need to take it apart and clean it every so often. If you don't, the piston can have a tendency to get stuck... and the problems you suggest are VERY common with a piston-based BOV or BPV/DV.

After you've done that, get it retuned. Piggybacked cars that weren't properly tuned initially can become very temperamental after weather changes (i.e. going from really hot to really cold).
Old 02-08-2008, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SePaTc
basically thats what our ecu does..... theres no need to be able to dial it in (on a stock engine anyway, which is why makers don't) because the only value the AFRS should be at is ideal, or as close as possible. Its not like you would want to lean it out under certain conditions.

Our ecu monitors air intake flow and exhaust gas emissions, as well as intake air temp, throttle position, and other inputs to properly modulate AFRS
yes, but I wasnt talking about the stock ECU... I mean the piggybacks and standalones for use in FI setups. we arent talking stock here. hell, if all you want to run is 6psi, all you really need is a dezod black box to handle the partial afrs and you are good to go with the stock ECU.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Shaka_Z
basically thats what our ecu does..... theres no need to be able to dial it in (on a stock engine anyway, which is why makers don't) because the only value the AFRS should be at is ideal, or as close as possible. Its not like you would want to lean it out under certain conditions.

Our ecu monitors air intake flow and exhaust gas emissions, as well as intake air temp, throttle position, and other inputs to properly modulate AFRS
yes, but I wasnt talking about the stock ECU... I mean the piggybacks and standalones for use in FI setups. we arent talking stock here. hell, if all you want to run is 6psi, all you really need is a dezod black box to handle the partial afrs and you are good to go with the stock ECU.
so, basically you're looking for a manually adjustable Air-Fuel Controller... They already exist. See: Apexi SAFC
Old 02-08-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what is your afr reading when it is hesitating?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what I hear the SAFCs dont play well with our ECUs
Old 02-08-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Obike
Also, if you are using something like the HKS SSQ (a piston-based blow off valve) you need to take it apart and clean it every so often. If you don't, the piston can have a tendency to get stuck... and the problems you suggest are VERY common with a piston-based BOV or BPV/DV.
good suggestion. though its TOTALLY unneccessary to disassemble the BOV... just spray some THrottle body cleaner or brakleen or something similar. finishing it off with a shot of WD-40 for lube prob wouldn't hurt either.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, if you are using something like the HKS SSQ (a piston-based blow off valve) you need to take it apart and clean it every so often. If you don't, the piston can have a tendency to get stuck... and the problems you suggest are VERY common with a piston-based BOV or BPV/DV.
good suggestion. though its TOTALLY unneccessary to disassemble the BOV... just spray some THrottle body cleaner or brakleen or something similar. finishing it off with a shot of WD-40 for lube prob wouldn't hurt either.
Incorrect, you do need to disassemble it. The piston is inside the internals and not easily accessed. A proper disassembly and cleaning goes a LONG way. Would you just clean a gun by spraying it w/ brake parts cleaner or WD-40? If you do, you'll have one lucky thief.

You also should be servicing all piston-based BOV or BPV/DV roughly every oil change. If you don't want to do this, get a diaphragm-based DV (i.e. APR R1).
Old 02-08-2008, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Soulquarian
I have a ZPI Stage 1.5 that's currently downtuned. I'm at 4 PSI and making about 224whp.

For a few weeks, I've been experiencing some serious throttle response issues. Whenever I shift, there seems to be a half second delay between gas and acceleration. Makes driving VERY jerky. I had a ZPI stage 0 previously, and I didn't have this problem. I have a few theories:

1) I need colder spark plugs
2) My Greddy Emanage Ultimate and Stock ECU are not playing nice
3) I need a lighter flywheel

I really think it's something eletrical, but I'm not sure. Throttle delays in shifting happen in a variety of RPM's.
Do you have a blow-off valve? If so, is it dumping to atmosphere? Recirculate it, it'll do wonders. Also, if you are using something like the HKS SSQ (a piston-based blow off valve) you need to take it apart and clean it every so often. If you don't, the piston can have a tendency to get stuck... and the problems you suggest are VERY common with a piston-based BOV or BPV/DV.

After you've done that, get it retuned. Piggybacked cars that weren't properly tuned initially can become very temperamental after weather changes (i.e. going from really hot to really cold).
I do have an HKS SSQ Blow off valve, and I sometimes have problems with the car stalling after hard acceleration. I was told by several people that this is because of the atmospheric dump of the HKS BOV. That sounds like a good suggestion though.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Incorrect, you do need to disassemble it. The piston is inside the internals and not easily accessed. A proper disassembly and cleaning goes a LONG way. Would you just clean a gun by spraying it w/ brake parts cleaner or WD-40? If you do, you'll have one lucky thief.

You also should be servicing all piston-based BOV or BPV/DV roughly every oil change. If you don't want to do this, get a diaphragm-based DV (i.e. APR R1).
no. sorry kid. YOU are incorrect. You absolutely do not NEED to disassemble. OBVIOUSLY, disassembling will allow you a more thorough clean, but 1st of all, the valve shouldn't get THAT dirty, since its only exposed to filtered air..... 2nd of all, you don't need a pristinely clean BOV to get optimum performance. 3rd of all, if you spray throttle body cleaner or brakeleen onto moving parts (like valves, etc...) it WILL work its way into the core of the BOV. these fluids are like corrosive agents for the buildup you might expect inside a BOV. as soon as the touch the gunk, it starts to melt away/dissolve. You don't need to hand-clean every nook and cranny of the core of your BOV. if so, you are wasting time or have a crappy BOV.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, BOV might be mounted too close to the TB. thus when it opens, too much charge is rushing out and you're robbing your engine of air it needs to run at the given RPM.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

heh heh.. I knew this was coming. You are arguing with a guy that works for APR and has a ton of first hand experience with this stuff. You just cant resist trying to pretend you know more than everyone on the forums can you? I even predicted this very type of response to him via a message when he first posted. He posted correct info, you come back running your mouth. Funny you hate on the same people that thrashed (and eventually had banned) three other users on another forum that acted EXACTLY as you do.. and they all happened to be the same guy.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
heh heh.. I knew this was coming. You are arguing with a guy that works for APR and has a ton of first hand experience with this stuff. You just cant resist trying to pretend you know more than everyone on the forums can you? I even predicted this very type of response to him via a message when he first posted. He posted correct info, you come back running your mouth. Funny you hate on the same people that thrashed (and eventually had banned) three other users on another forum that acted EXACTLY as you do.. and they all happened to be the same guy.
so, got any FACTUAL info that disproves my comments??? Didn't think so noob. now shut up.

I'm not arguing. i'm having a discussion/debate. And who invited you anyway?? If you don't know ANYTHING (which u obviously don't) about the subject at hand....then stay out of the thread.

And stop trolling me too loser. Someone needs a job with more responsibility.... :D
Old 02-08-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On a car where the blowoff valve is mounted after the mass airflow sensor, venting to atmosphere confuses the engine control unit (ECU) of the car. The ECU is told it has a specific amount of air in the intake system, and injects fuel accordingly. The amount of air released by the blowoff valve is not taken into consideration and the engine runs rich for a period of time. Engines with a manifold absolute pressure regulated ECU or where the blowoff is mounted upstream of the MAF sensor are not affected.

Typically this isn't a major issue, but sometimes it can lead to hesitation or stalling of the engine when the throttle is closed. This situation worsens with higher boost pressures. Eventually this can foul spark plugs and destroy the catalytic converter (when running rich, not all the fuel is burned which can heat up on and melt the converter or leave heavy carbon deposits).

sorry, i'll stop tryint to pretend i know what i'm talking about... :D rofl!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

After admitting in another thread that I was RIGHT About you being dhilltc from ystc, you should hang your head and crawl away somewhere. IF there was ever a user that proved a complete lack of knowledge other than mis-reading what you could find on google, it was dhilltc/YOU. You even argued basic concepts with us that had more proof against you than you could ask for.

You CANT post a valid argument once you get past what you read a few minutes ago somewhere, which is why your common response is that I am stupid, I dont know anything... or your famous "blah blah blah". You act like a 12 year old (which I would be very willing to believe).

So as I told dhilltC before he was banned for filling another forum full of misinformation, you can SAY I know nothing all you want. Doesnt make it so.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

On a car where the blowoff valve is mounted after the mass airflow sensor, venting to atmosphere confuses the engine control unit (ECU) of the car. The ECU is told it has a specific amount of air in the intake system, and injects fuel accordingly. The amount of air released by the blowoff valve is not taken into consideration and the engine runs rich for a period of time. Engines with a manifold absolute pressure regulated ECU or where the blowoff is mounted upstream of the MAF sensor are not affected.

Typically this isn't a major issue, but sometimes it can lead to hesitation or stalling of the engine when the throttle is closed. This situation worsens with higher boost pressures. Eventually this can foul spark plugs and destroy the catalytic converter (when running rich, not all the fuel is burned which can heat up on and melt the converter or leave heavy carbon deposits).

sorry, i'll stop tryint to pretend i know what i'm talking about... :D rofl!

Originally Posted by wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve

Wow, I guess I was wrong... you dont just regurgitate google, you do it with wiki as well

Old 02-08-2008, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

To the original poster: Sorry for the thread getting muddied up, I do apologise... but there is some information that needs to be cleared up.

SePaTc: First of all, engifineer is far from "noob", "n00b", or "nublet" status. He's very well experienced and has a large amount of engineering training behind his belt. Secondly, personal attacks are just plain ol' childish and don't allow for anything productive. If you are trying to make a point in an argument or debate, state it logically and you'll suddenly find that people respond better to your posts.

Now, let's get to the facts. First of all here is some information on my personal experience, engifineer is right in that I work for APR in the Engineering department. Specifically I right data logging software for ECUs and write software to burn a specific vehicle from anywhere in the world as long as they have a internet connection. I also work alongside a lot of other engineers in product development (electrical and mechanical), provide feedback in engineering meetings, and give tips on how to successfuly troubleshoot a product before it reaches the market.

With that said, I have a LARGE amount of first-hand experience with piston-based BOVs/BPVs/DVs in the development of APR's R1. In the initial stages of developing the R1, we were deciding on whether to use a piston or diaphragm solution. Ultimately we decided upon a diaphragm solution for a variety of reasons (even though it is more expensive to make). First of all, it is well proven that piston-based BOVs/BPVs/DVs can seize up over time and stick open or closed (which is bad for a variety of reasons, I can explain them if you truly want to know). Yes, if the air was filtered from ALL imperfections and the entire BOV/BPV/DV assembly was properly lubricated in manufacturing then it wouldn't be necessary to properly clean and lubricate the piston AS OFTEN. With all things that have continuous metal-on-metal contact a proper lubricant is needed to prevent extended wear and tear, provide a longer product lifetime, and keep it as reliable as the day you got it. Unfortunately, as we all know, the lubricant can break down and wear away as well. This means that without a constant flow of lubrication through the assembly where contact would occur, a complete cleaning and re-lubrication must take place. Our vehicles do this in the engine with oil, same principle. Why do you think oil pressure exists and an oil change must be performed at scheduled intervals? To keep the pistons, camshaft, rods, etc properly lubricated and moving smoothly.

There is also one thing you must know about the intake tract of your vehicle. There are ALWAYS going to be impurities. This is because the filter can not prevent everything from coming in except oxygen without severely choking the engine for air which it needs in combustion. Because of this, filter's are designed to prevent MOST impurities from entering the system... things that could drastically alter engine behaviour, performance, and lifetime. Other than that it lets everything through. Next is the blow-by gases in the PCV system. The tC has two ports for blow-by gases; one at the front of the engine on the drivers side and the other at the rear of the engine on the passenger side. These blow-by gases are recirculated through the intake tract for emissions purposes to be combusted by the engine and then released to the atmosphere. One of these ports should be redirected so that it constantly sees vaccum, on a turbocharged vehicle this is before the turbine on the intake system. This introduces oil and other contaminants, that are safe for the engine, into the intake tract.

The BOV/BPV/DV sits between the compressor and the throttlebody to prevent damage to the turbo (there are several sites and documents that exist throughout the internet and on print describing this). Unfortunately, it is sitting on the side that has blow-by gases introduced to the intake tract. Not to mention any other contaminants the filter didn't block or the compressor didn't chop up (if it is that big). Because of this the piston, when opened under pressure, dumps the compressed air, blow-by gases, and various other contaminants to the atmosphere (or if you were smart, recirculated before the compressor so no built-up boost is lost). The design of the BOV/BPV/DV causes these contaminants to surge past the spring, piston, diaphragm, etc on their way out of the system (as they are under pressure and escaping to relative vacuum). Therefore, every single time you shift above a minimum of atmospheric or pre-compressor pressure various contaminants are introduced to the BOV/BPV/DV that it wouldn't see in ideal conditions. Because of this you will see the BOV/BPV/DV become dirty and need cleaning, and eventually the lubricant around the piston will rub off causing it to stick open.

Because of this, and the fact that most Audi/Porsche/Seat/Skoda/VW vehicles place the DV in a very hard to reach position (I swear as a conspiracy to make sure you cut your hand on every single sharp object in the engine bay) APR decided to go with a diaphragm based solution. A diaphragm solution does not have to worry about constant maintenance (such as cleaning and lubrication), but does suffer from the possibility of tearing under increased pressures. You see this to be very common in older BoschSport 102 and 110 DVs after they get a chip installed (available from a variety of aftermarket companies). That's why APR released the R1, they wanted something that would be 100% maintenance free, provide consistent performance, and be EXTREMELY easy to install while keeping manufacturer reliability and performance no matter what software you had installed on your vehicle.

I hope that clears things up a bit. Sorry for the history and engineering lesson, but the question was asked!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After admitting in another thread that I was RIGHT About you being dhilltc from ystc, you should hang your head and crawl away somewhere. IF there was ever a user that proved a complete lack of knowledge other than mis-reading what you could find on google, it was dhilltc/YOU. You even argued basic concepts with us that had more proof against you than you could ask for.

You CANT post a valid argument once you get past what you read a few minutes ago somewhere, which is why your common response is that I am stupid, I dont know anything... or your famous "blah blah blah". You act like a 12 year old (which I would be very willing to believe).

So as I told dhilltC before he was banned for filling another forum full of misinformation, you can SAY I know nothing all you want. Doesnt make it so.

LOL.. :D Dhilltc is not banned at all. :D i was just on YSTC yesterday. WRONG AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw: your flaming/trolling posts have been reported to admin.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

So somehow I am trolling now

Now you are just pulling the dirt in on yourself in the hole you already dug. Get over yourself man.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now you are just pulling the dirt in on yourself in the hole you already dug. Get over yourself man.
YES. YOU ARE. trolling as in following me around in threads that you previously haven't been involved in and specifically zeroing in on my posts and flaming attacking me, instead of contributing any facts or relevant info to the thread... Trolling.

Didn't your father ever tell you "theres always going to be someone smarter/better/wealthier/taller/stronger than you...."???

Well....that person is me.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

YES. YOU ARE. trolling as in following me around in threads that you previously haven't been involved in and specifically zeroing in on my posts and flaming attacking me, instead of contributing any facts or relevant info to the thread... Trolling.

Didn't your father ever tell you "theres always going to be someone smarter/better/wealthier/taller/stronger than you...."???

Well....that person is me.
The last two sentences are priceless. I love how e-***** size is inversely proportional to size in real life.

Quick Reply: Throttle response