Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The time has come.... ZPI Stage 0!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The time has come.... ZPI Stage 0!

After thinking long and hard about it and spending hours on end on scionlife reading about the pros and cons of going turbo, I've decided to turbo my tC. I have made an appointment with ZPI for April 24th to do the install. I planned on buying the parts and doing the install myself, but for the price I was quoted for them to install it I can't go wrong, and for the simple fact that I only live 1.5 hours away from them anyway. My starter kit looks something like this:

-ZPI Stage 0
-HKS BOV and Flange
-AEM uego Wideband
-38mm Copper wastegate gasket
-NGK Iridium Plugs
-Creative Compacts 3 pillar pod with Autometer boost and oil pressure gauges and the AEM air/fuel gauge.

-I'm thinking of running the Dezod Black Box for partial throttle Air/Fuel control since I'ver heard nothing but good things about it, And adding greddy emanage blue as soon as the funds permit

If anyone is considering ZPI but isn't sure about it, please give them a call. I spoke with Sean on the phone and with Kenny briefly and both seemed eager to help. I will keep everyone posted on my results.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Why run the Black Box, when GReddy has the Pressure sensor that does that? Just add the GReddy Pressure sensor to the GReddy E-manage and you can tune off of Boost intead of throttle %. Kenny will square you away no doubt though.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Emanage blue with the pressure sensor can do partial throttle control? Nice..
Old 04-04-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NO it cant do partial throttle...
Old 04-04-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Picked up my Dezod kit with the same Greddy pressure sensor.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 318_tC
NO it cant do partial throttle...
The Greddy Pressure sensor allows the emanage to be tuned off boost rather than MAF voltage.

Meaning....Part Throttle, (don't know about everyone else, but when I do it) you see about 1-5 PSI of boost to scoot around that car blocking your way. Tuning off of Boost would mean you can set your A/F to whatever you wanted it to be at whatever given PSI level. So, part throttle it up to 3 PSI and you can make is 10.5, 11, 12, whatever A/F ratio at 3 PSI.

So, how does that not solve Partial throttle boost?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, having the pressure sensor does NOT tune partial throttle.

unless you are in closed loop, the emanage tune (whether based off of MAF or pressure sensor) will NOT go into effect and the ecu will continue to tune for an AFR of 14.7 regardless of boost pressure.

this is why i have the black box even with the pressure sensor.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is also a problem using big injectors.....ask a tuner about using big injectors on a closed loop....
Old 04-04-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read on another thread.. Not sure if it was the intense kit or turbo toyotas but they said you can't partial throttle with the ultimate and pressure sensor..
Old 04-04-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the new kit. Sounds like it is going to be great.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by satoman44

unless you are in closed loop, the emanage tune (whether based off of MAF or pressure sensor) will NOT go into effect and the ecu will continue to tune for an AFR of 14.7 regardless of boost pressure.

You said "unless you are in closed loop". Doesn't Part Throttle boost run in closed loop? I thought open was when you pushed it hard enough. And in open the Emanage would be handling everything anyway?

Correct me if I'm wrong (wouldn't be the only time I have been though).

Also, isn't this what the Black Box or other similar devices are for? Why not just pick up one of those if you going to be Part Throttling it everywhere.

Which I do all the time by the way.....with no additional devices besides the E-manage Blue.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

You said "unless you are in closed loop". Doesn't Part Throttle boost run in closed loop? I thought open was when you pushed it hard enough. And in open the Emanage would be handling everything anyway?

Also, isn't this what the Black Box or other similar devices are for? Why not just pick up one of those if you going to be Part Throttling it everywhere.

Which I do all the time by the way.....with no additional devices besides the E-manage Blue.
As do I. I think the black box is a great additional feature, but is not necessary or essential. I love dezod's stuff though.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i was planning on running a stage 0 on stock ecu, no emanage or black box because a few members on here have told me they ran like that for months with no trouble at all. After reading all the ish about how it's bad to part throttle boost, I figure I can get the black box to take care of that, and let the stock ecu take over at wot. If I see afr numbers that satisfy me, I will just run like that for a while. The only reason I want part throttle boost control is because this car will be driven atleast 100 miles daily, and I dont want to trust the stock ecu to that. I just didnt want to go with emanage yet due to the hassle of having to tune it. The Dezod black box comes pretuned, so there will be nothing to mess with there. Dont get me wrong I plan on getting the emanage eventually, but I dont like the idea of having to tune it, or every time I make a change to my setup I dont want to have to go find someone to tune it.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry, your right, i always get those two confused. supposed to be unless you are in open loop.

but yes, emanage takes over at WOT, while the black box takes over partial throttle. reason why you want to use emanage, is that you will have control over timing. the black box just adjusts AF.

rhythm, you could just use the black box to tune AF. just that you won't have control over timing (like the apex SAFC i believe). of the two, i would rather have just the emanage so you can tune WOT (with fuel and timing). if you baby your car like me you can stay outta boost when daily driving no problem.

the black box is good so you don't teach yourself to have only 2 driving styles: baby and WOT (which i was doing before i had the black box )

nauticalblue_tc, people say the car runs fine with the stage 0. i would just recommend a wideband 02 gauge to keep an eye on your air/fuel.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by nauticalblue_tC
well i was planning on running a stage 0 on stock ecu, no emanage or black box because a few members on here have told me they ran like that for months with no trouble at all. After reading all the ish about how it's bad to part throttle boost, I figure I can get the black box to take care of that, and let the stock ecu take over at wot. If I see afr numbers that satisfy me, I will just run like that for a while. The only reason I want part throttle boost control is because this car will be driven atleast 100 miles daily, and I dont want to trust the stock ecu to that. I just didnt want to go with emanage yet due to the hassle of having to tune it. The Dezod black box comes pretuned, so there will be nothing to mess with there. Dont get me wrong I plan on getting the emanage eventually, but I dont like the idea of having to tune it, or every time I make a change to my setup I dont want to have to go find someone to tune it.

The HASSLE of tunning it? You said you were Driving to ZPI correct? Dude, Kenny is a E-manage Tunning guru. You live 1.5 hrs away, and I live 3hrs away. I have no problems getting Kenny to take 30 mins to tune our car. Just listen to him when you get there. He will NOT stir you wrong, or tell you anything that will damange your car. He KNOWS Scions. Shoot man, he can Pre-tune an E-manage for you too if you just was wanting it shipped to you.

You have it good bro to only live 1.5 hrs away from the best Scion Shop in the South. Sorry man, but you have the best available source to fix WHATEVER performance need you have. Don't make excuses about tuning, when a Guru is sitting 1.5hrs away from you.

and I thought I lived close....
Old 04-05-2007, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doesn't the black box connect to the emanage? As in.. You need the emanage for the black box
Old 04-05-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by djafropiq
Doesn't the black box connect to the emanage? As in.. You need the emanage for the black box
No, separate.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

sorry, your right, i always get those two confused. supposed to be unless you are in open loop.

but yes, emanage takes over at WOT, while the black box takes over partial throttle. reason why you want to use emanage, is that you will have control over timing. the black box just adjusts AF.

rhythm, you could just use the black box to tune AF. just that you won't have control over timing (like the apex SAFC i believe). of the two, i would rather have just the emanage so you can tune WOT (with fuel and timing). if you baby your car like me you can stay outta boost when daily driving no problem.

the black box is good so you don't teach yourself to have only 2 driving styles: baby and WOT (which i was doing before i had the black box )

nauticalblue_tc, people say the car runs fine with the stage 0. i would just recommend a wideband 02 gauge to keep an eye on your air/fuel.

I drive regularly and have been for over a year. I have part throttled this car from week one of boosting it, with just the E-manage as our only electronic control. So, it's not something that I would over.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

GL with the kit
Old 04-05-2007, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rhythmnsmoke, I'm full aware that kenny is the tC boosting and tuning guru, and I know I'm damn lucky to live so close. What I should have said in my original post is: i WILL be getting an Emanage in the very near future, and Kenny WILL be the one I have tuning it. At that time the Emanage and Black box will work together, one for WOT and one for partial throttle. Until then, I will be running only the black box to take care of partial throttle control, and I will be trusting the stock ecu in open loop at WOT.

THIS THREAD was not meant to start a ____ing contest between Emanage VS. Black Box, as they are both great units and can work in perfect harmony together. I will be running both in a few months. I just want the Black Box for now because I commute 100+ miles daily and I dont want to have to stare at the Wideband gauge to check on my AFR every time I pass a car or drive up a long hill in partial throttle boost.

And Rhythmnsmoke, thank you for being an advocate for ZPI. All your videos and various posts are what ultimately helped me make my decision in choosing ZPI.

BTW satoman44, thank you very much for your input

Quick Reply: The time has come.... ZPI Stage 0!