Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Toyota and TRD strike again!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Toyota and TRD strike again!!

So my supercharger is making the horrid scream they make when the bearing goes bad. I have absolutely no mods to the supercharger system itself and this is what the dealership told me this afternoon:

I was told that they called TRD and were told that the supercharger has to be shipped to them for evaluation. If they find there is no problem, the supercharger is shipped back to the dealer for re-installation and I am responsible for all charges.

So the dealership told me to pick up the car and drive it until it gets worse, then bring it back in. I told them to keep the car and will be talking to the service manager today especially after I talked to TRD in Torrance this evening and they told me that was incorrect. What is the dealership trying to pull here???

So warranty my a$$!!! I don't really know what to do here, but wanted to post this for more information so others who are considering the supercharger to think again before thinking warranty really covers the unit.

I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome after I talk with the service manager tomorrow.

with all the other problems I have had with this car and dealership I told them if it comes down to this, they will be buying the car back and giving me the value of the car as they would with a trade.

I have had enough with Toyota. As bad as GM was to me in the past, I have never had these problems with any Chevy I have owned.

argh..

end rant.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I'd try a different dealership, first. Then if for some reason you get the same BS, go to scion corporate. Asking for the trade-in value of the car would be a ripoff in my opinion, because trade-in values generally are.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah they told me 14,000

but at this point I don't really know if I want the car anymore.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I'm having the infamous bearing problem as well. I can get ahold of a new s/c but I don't know if there is any bearing shavings in my engine already like Rob on here..... I'm going to change my oil tonight and see what there is to see.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:35 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

sounds to me you have more of an issue with the dealership than anything else...

go somewhere else... and if it gets worse... report the dealership to scion corp. they'll handle the complaints.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah when they told me to keep driving it until the problem gets worse I mentioned the bearing shavings blowing the motor and the guy in the service department said that is possible, but at that point the entire engine will be covered...unless of course there are any modifications done to the motor...then I am responsible. Complete bs. I haven't done anything to the motor except install a catch can. So if they try to pin it on a catch can I will be kicking some **** down there.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same thing happened to me. I took in my TC for issues it was having & the tech guy said if they determine nothing is wrong with the car they we're going to charge me for opening my hood and checking. I got ____ed so I spoke to the general manager and he took care of it. Come on, they just use that crap to bully , they try to push you into not getting it checked, BASTARDS! My previous car was a GM and they never gave me this kind of crap.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Keep in mind that dealerships have absolutely NOTHING to do with toyota. They are third party distributors/service locations. Independently owned and get away with a lot (charging $180 for ONE fog light that toyota lists at about $100 for example). Go to a different dealer, then smear that dealers name in the mud in a very professinal and public way. The part and car are under warranty, NO part of the repair is your responsibility. Since it is under warranty, get scion corp involved, they CAN force the matter in this instance.

Dealers these days get worse and worse it seems in many instances. My last car was a GM (saturn)... but it never needed a repair.. and still doesnt at 170k so I wouldnt know I take it back, I bought an alternator and a $50 idle air control this year for it.. but I do my own work once warranty runs out :D

Sorry to stray.... talk to other dealers and Scion about the manner.. not in an angry, yelling way.. be professional and friendly. When you do that and present logical info, they have nothing to argue with you on and will end up helping in the end.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

watching...
Old 11-02-2006, 11:26 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

watching as well. I have had bad noises out of my charger from the get go, 14,000 miles ago. I wonder what a REALLY bad one sounds like IN PERSON.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine just started when I put a new belt on, it started screeching then. Now I've put the old belt on and it's like a buzz, rattling sound so I don't know what's going on. I'm completely going back to stock s/c for right now.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please do not drive your car if you're sure there's a bad bearing. TRD should be well aware of my problem and to hear another so soon, well they should get right to work with you. I know they're at SEMA this week so I don't know what kind of response they'll have. Just do not talk with Paul at TRD
Old 11-03-2006, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by PghtC
yeah when they told me to keep driving it until the problem gets worse I mentioned the bearing shavings blowing the motor and the guy in the service department said that is possible, but at that point the entire engine will be covered...unless of course there are any modifications done to the motor...then I am responsible. Complete bs. I haven't done anything to the motor except install a catch can. So if they try to pin it on a catch can I will be kicking some **** down there.

That dealer sounds very suspect and shaddy. I would NOT drive until it gets worse.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It only took a few days for my engine to start stalling and misfiring.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wow, this is getting more and more pathetic on TRD's part...good thing for i-vtec

I kid fellas
Old 11-03-2006, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, this is an all new low!! That dealership is absolutely full of....
Yes, go somewhere else or simply call TRD yourself. When it happened to mine, as I like to say, they did not flinch. I believe others have had their's replaced without issue as well. They asked a few basic questions to the tech about aftermarket parts etc. and moved on.
Report that dealership ASAP!!

Simplyscion, I almost want to say, despite your misfortune, you got out easy and im almost jealous of your i-vtec...
Old 11-03-2006, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah call Scion Corp, I wouldn't drive the car. If they say the engine is covered, I bet they'll cover it just like they are covering the S/C, lol. Call Corp and they can make them fix it under warranty. The corp guys are bada$$es, they'll help you out.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a number and contact for you! I have PM'ed you the info!!
Old 11-03-2006, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If that dealer installed the S/C and you haven't modified it at all, they shouldn't be able to turn you away.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

kinda glad i went with a turbo setup.

Quick Reply: Toyota and TRD strike again!!