Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD auto supercharger kit ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, tc is very customizable. HOWEVER, the reason why a CAI is not a good idea for a forced induction system like the TRD sc is because it will introduce a much leaner air/fuel mix. If you have the means to tune the proper ratio, then please go right ahead. What people don't understand is that the stock ECU (and the TRD reflash) is tuned for a particular setup. Once you introduce a change (like a CAI) that setup is no longer valid for the prior mentioned tune. I'm not saying your engine is going to blow up because of this. I'm just saying it's not going to be the correct/best tune. Take it any way you please.

However, I must say: you are NOT A TUNER just because you put a body kit, exhaust, and HID lights, or even CAI. You ARE a tuner when you actually tune your engine properly. I think that's sometimes very misunderstood on this board.

Anyway, back to topic, the reason why a CAI is reasonably ok on an N/A engine is because these engines can run a little leaner without a problem. On turbocharged setups, you are going to be running some type of short ram or full CAI setup, and it's already piggy back tuned. (I'm not a fan or supporter of ANY F/I setup that doesn't change the tune, btw) If you don't believe me, fine. I'm just speaking from experience, that's all. So no reason to pay attention to me
Old 06-22-2006, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will it be producing the same amount of gain such as with the 5speeds? If it is producing lower gains I don't think its worth it. Warranty or not you'll still be paying how much thousands for a kit when you can get a turbo auto kit for cheaper
Old 06-23-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jake_tC
Yes, tc is very customizable. HOWEVER, the reason why a CAI is not a good idea for a forced induction system like the TRD sc is because it will introduce a much leaner air/fuel mix. If you have the means to tune the proper ratio, then please go right ahead. What people don't understand is that the stock ECU (and the TRD reflash) is tuned for a particular setup. Once you introduce a change (like a CAI) that setup is no longer valid for the prior mentioned tune. I'm not saying your engine is going to blow up because of this. I'm just saying it's not going to be the correct/best tune. Take it any way you please.

However, I must say: you are NOT A TUNER just because you put a body kit, exhaust, and HID lights, or even CAI. You ARE a tuner when you actually tune your engine properly. I think that's sometimes very misunderstood on this board.

Anyway, back to topic, the reason why a CAI is reasonably ok on an N/A engine is because these engines can run a little leaner without a problem. On turbocharged setups, you are going to be running some type of short ram or full CAI setup, and it's already piggy back tuned. (I'm not a fan or supporter of ANY F/I setup that doesn't change the tune, btw) If you don't believe me, fine. I'm just speaking from experience, that's all. So no reason to pay attention to me

so, basically in a nut shell, any engine thats runs a CAI is runing lean right?

what happened to a learning ECU...cause i noticed that after installing my cai, my tc was crappy for a few days, then it gained even more hp...it sounded(only speculating) that it was initially running rich(bogging a little at WOT, but ok if i easied the throttle up), then it eventually just ran better

but thats just what i have read/heard from the tcu fuel managment post, assuming that the tc ECU learns like everyone else says

and no, i am not a professional tuner, not even a novie tuner.....i just read
Old 06-23-2006, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Save yourself alot of money. Buy a turbo and get what you pay for. Don't waste your time with the dealership because they will waste your money and time. And plus you produce almost the same hp supercharging it as you would putting intake/headers/exhaust and a few extra mods . Well thats what my friend said.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 3min3m2

what happened to a learning ECU...cause i noticed that after installing my cai, my tc was crappy for a few days, then it gained even more hp...it sounded(only speculating) that it was initially running rich(bogging a little at WOT, but ok if i easied the throttle up), then it eventually just ran better

but thats just what i have read/heard from the tcu fuel managment post, assuming that the tc ECU learns like everyone else says

there will always be a problem as long as stock ecu's use narrowband 02 sensors.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And plus you produce almost the same hp supercharging it as you would putting intake/headers/exhaust and a few extra mod
That's a load of crap and you know it. IHE will put you maybe (MAYBE) at 160 horsepower, so where does the other 34-40 come from? One of those stupid crank pulleys? A leet performance chip? Going downhill?

What you get for $2950 + install is 194 wheel and 205-210 crank horsepower, Toyota reliability, and free maintenance until the warranty expires. That is easily a higher value than any other forced induction kit that's available.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 3min3m2

there will always be a problem as long as stock ecu's use narrowband 02 sensors.
The tc's o2 is a wideband:

The car does have 370cc in it... The car does have a factory wideband, the car can idle with a open atmosphere BOV, The fuel rail can support 720cc injectors, the factory pump can flow enough for 550cc injectors. The factory maf can be calibrated with larger intake pipe.

From ZPI in this thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...band&&start=25
Old 06-23-2006, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you live where I live you'll have more confidence in performance shops than dealerships. And don't say anything about it can't produce. THeres minor mods that can add to the tC. I agree with you though it does have the reliability and warranty. But where the hell did u get 2950 + 194 from? From the website? Because the dealership i went to. They want a whole much more than that
Old 06-23-2006, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

194 was in reference to horsepower. 2950 was the price from Sparks and my local dealership is installing for $445 ~~
Old 06-23-2006, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kytc
The tc's o2 is a wideband
and this matters because
THE DAMN SYSTEM GOES INTO CLOSED LOOP MODE UNDER WOT, and is going to keep everything at 14.7 or so.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

and all this is on topic how?
Old 06-25-2006, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

they are talking about the tuning of the turbo compared to the response of the trd supercharger, which is related to the original post

i support there remarks at least...if need be, we'll move it to another thread, but IMO its on topic overall
Old 06-25-2006, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

not really
Old 06-25-2006, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by kytc
The tc's o2 is a wideband
and this matters because
THE DAMN SYSTEM GOES INTO CLOSED LOOP MODE UNDER WOT, and is going to keep everything at 14.7 or so.
this statement makes no sense whatsoever.
If it goes into a closed loop mode under WOT, then it would never be able to keep a variable ratio at exactly 14.7, it would consistantly need to read the A/F ratio, and adjust accordingly. If it was a true closed loop system, it would dump the same amount of fuel every time and disregard how much air is being sucked into the engine. That is not how these engines and computers work.

The tC's ECU and wideband 02 sensor will adjust and NOT run lean from a CAI. That is just silly to think that. The ECU knows how much fuel to dump per molecule of air. If the system was truly a closed loop system, there would be no need for any of the 02 or MAF sensors on our car, besides to tell us that we are dumping too much carbon into the air.

The sole purpose of the MAF is to let us know how much air is in the engine, so that the computer knows how much fuel to inject.

Therefore, nothing runs lean - at least until your injectors can no longer pump enough fuel into the engine.

Since there are no numbers for the auto tC yet, AND since this discussion is way off topic, this thread is locked.