Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD LSD and Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD LSD and Clutch

So I bought my TRD/Quiffe LSD and a Clutch Masters stage 3 Kevlar clutch for my TC it is being installed tomm. You guys that already have the LSD is there a big difference? I hate the wheel spin it has now, you always have to play catch up if you are racing another fast car.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ive heard it improves traction a decent amount, but your still going to have wheel spin. just both tires now, lol
Old 05-22-2007, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the merits of the lsd is it improves traction, reduces torque steer and helps powering out of corners. your still gonna have to refine your launch technique because of the limitations of the ff platform, but you should produce better results.

also, remember, you need to break in your clutch for the next 500 miles before you begin beating on it.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you don't mind me asking....how much is this setting you back.... I've been wanting to do the LSD, Clutch, and flywheel upgrade.... but I am not sure what that would run me for parts and labor.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SickleCell
If you don't mind me asking....how much is this setting you back.... I've been wanting to do the LSD, Clutch, and flywheel upgrade.... but I am not sure what that would run me for parts and labor.
i asked p-tuning about this, they said they could install a clutch and flywheel for 750, and installying an lsd at the same time would just be another 250. so $1000 even, plus the costs of whatever clutch/flywheel/lsd you choose. oh, and tax, i hate taxes!
Old 05-22-2007, 11:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info
Old 05-22-2007, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SickleCell
Thanks for the info
I have the hookups at a lot of places I been into fast cars for a long time. I got the LSD for 1100 from the dealer, clutch for 450 and the install is 600.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Banned
SL Member

Did you get the install kit, the speedometer part and the shims as well?

I have the diff and the install kit. I don't know if the speedometer part or the shims are required.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dyltone
Did you get the install kit, the speedometer part and the shims as well?

I have the diff and the install kit. I don't know if the speedometer part or the shims are required.
Whoops what comes in the install kit and why would you need the speedo?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

depends on the shop. p-tunning told me they have everything they need to instally an lsd. the intall kit doesn't come with a speedogear, so you'll have to order one if you aren't taking it to be done by a dealership.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am kind of a noob apparently....but what is needed beyond the clutch, flywheel, and LSD for installation?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not really sure. alignment tool, shims, new speedo gear because the original speedo gear breaks like 9 outta 10 times when installing the lsd.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive had my LSD instaled along with the ACT Street Clutch for the past 3 weeks.

honestly the only big different ive noticed is that LSD is awesom for cornering, as for decreasing wheel spin, ive havent noticed any difference only this time it spins both wheels at the same time...

I was hoping the LSD would get rid of my 2nd gear wheel spin so i can have a better chance in races.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kumitsu

honestly the only big different ive noticed is that LSD is awesom for cornering, as for decreasing wheel spin, ive havent noticed any difference only this time it spins both wheels at the same time...

I was hoping the LSD would get rid of my 2nd gear wheel spin so i can have a better chance in races.
Yea i know it will spin but does it feel like it is pulling better
Old 05-22-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the lsd doesn't make the car idiot proof, you still need some technique and skillz to make it all work.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rasta

Yeah it pulls alittle better and it totally messed up my tune, my torque was all over the place, like almost everything was changed alittlebit, i would ask paul from Dezod he was the one tuning my car, he can tell you alittle better on what happened with the tune because of the clutch and LSD.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah it pulls alittle better and it totally messed up my tune, my torque was all over the place, like almost everything was changed alittlebit, i would ask paul from Dezod he was the one tuning my car, he can tell you alittle better on what happened with the tune because of the clutch and LSD.
The problem that I am hoping improves is if I just punch 2nd gear its all tire which is fine if your car is moving. I am not talking launching the car from a dig like at the track or anything like that. For instance I had an SE-R before it was turbo, the car spun all of second gear too but the car was pulling hard. My TC has so much torque that the tires just scream. So you end up babying the car in second and then getting on it in third and third gear the car spins too it sucks man.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem that I am hoping improves is if I just punch 2nd gear its all tire which is fine if your car is moving. I am not talking launching the car from a dig like at the track or anything like that. For instance I had an SE-R before it was turbo, the car spun all of second gear too but the car was pulling hard. My TC has so much torque that the tires just scream. So you end up babying the car in second and then getting on it in third and third gear the car spins too it sucks man.
i hear you man , sometimes i still get alittle chirp in 3rd, sometimes i dont even hear it... i guess we gotta live with it
Old 05-25-2007, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I had a quaife in my celica and loved it, I autocrossed so it was worth its weight in gold. I installed it myself, didnt take any measurements lol, just put it in and let er rip, no problems, put 17k miles on that tranny then when I parted out my car I sold the tranny with the lsd for $1700 not bad IMO