Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD Reflash + right size turbo and injectors.. does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by unxpectederror
Originally Posted by CarbonXe
well i imagine it would do a slightly better job then the stock ecu normally does, no?
That's where piggybacking comes in and where professional tuners come into play.
im talking about for open loop tuning... which you can not tune for no matter how good the tuner is, the tune will just not stay. thus what im saying is wouldn't the trd reflash be more apt for this even if it cant handle the power of a turbo at open loop its probably gonna come much closer then the stock ecu would come to proper afr.

i don't understand how the reflash wouldn't be a safer starting point then the stock ecu program
open loop cant be tune? lol dude open loop is even easier to tune, close loop is tricky with the stock ecu being the boss of what your afr should be.. open loop is the more tunable part..

and the reflashed ecu will work like the stock one but still you should baby the car like how you do when only running stock ecu.. doesnt mean its reflashed its okay to be boosting on it coz it has a performance tuned ecu, the reflash is still not designed for setup and its same as untuned.. thats the reason why some map works very well with one setup but will blow the motor of another car with a different setup
Old 08-29-2008, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

well i imagine it would do a slightly better job then the stock ecu normally does, no?
That's where piggybacking comes in and where professional tuners come into play.
im talking about for open loop tuning... which you can not tune for no matter how good the tuner is, the tune will just not stay. thus what im saying is wouldn't the trd reflash be more apt for this even if it cant handle the power of a turbo at open loop its probably gonna come much closer then the stock ecu would come to proper afr.

i don't understand how the reflash wouldn't be a safer starting point then the stock ecu program
The stock ECU will result in horrible AFRs. The TRD reflash will result in horrible AFRs. A bad tune is a bad tune.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

unxpectederro,

Please listen to what we're saying.. and please read this post carefully:

1.) I understand what you're trying to say regarding the S/C for our cars is "like" a turbo.. but the similarity is only that both are Centrifugal.. meaning they spin wheels on an axle and compress air using centrifugal force. Other than that, they are totally different. S/C is belt driven - so psi is directly related to RPM. A turbo is exhaust driven - it just needs enough exhaust to hit max boost and a wastegate maintains it there.

2.) A tune from TRD is going to have a very linear tune with respect to AFR. This is because boost and CFM are increasing in relation to RPM. With a turbo, CFM does increase in relation to RPM, but RPM is only one factor - the other is boost level (independent of RPM) and efficiency range.

3.) If you want to get a piggy-back ECU, don't even bother with the TRD tune. If you want to have closed-loop (partial throttle) to be tuned, stick with an AEM F/IC or a Unichip.. those two can tuen partial throttle. With a Greddy eManage, I believe you need the "black box" to do this.

4.) Don't try to cut corners. Spend good money on management and tuning.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Here.

As simple as I can put it.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ exactly..

but for your question will it work? since it hasnt been tried yet, maybe but most likely not.. but is it worth a shot? no, motor is expensive you know..

but if you want to give it a try and prove many wrong, use the trd reflashed ecu and use the recommended injectors for that reflash, choose the turbo well and limit your boost.. stock ecu worked for the stage 0 but not a good way to put a turbo
Old 08-29-2008, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

carbon, how bout boost vs rpm?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

It's pretty much the exact same thing.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

sorry guys i did mean closed loop, i was very tired last night and my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders haha.. but of course you already know this ;)

and B_Real45

1. i know this that's why i said its similar to a turbo... didn't say it was the same thing.

2. see things like this are what i wanna hear

3. i thought even if you do tune for partial throttle the ecu will just relearn its old ways?

CarbonXe... thanks for the pretty picture

btw guys this was just a post to find out the capabilities of the trd flash.

thanks for the insight so far
Old 08-30-2008, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most of what these guys are saying is true...

dont cut corners....for 98% of the people on this board.

I have customers who buy the correct fuel management, install the kit, think they can install the fuel stuff later....blow there motor and its my fault.....but....

You can use the REFLASH and the injectors(410-440cc) and a small wheel T3/T4 (or a GT28rs for convos sake) at no more than 5 psi and have an awesome tune/powerband.

It actually works well on the stock ecu as well..just dont boost more than 5psi.

I have a car here in AZ thats been running now for almost 2 years on the stock ecu and 440cc injectors at 5psi on a GT28RS and it runs like stock and is a blast to drive.

I dont like promoting it...but it does work and so to answer your question....YES

Regards-

Todd
Old 08-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboToyotas
Most of what these guys are saying is true...

dont cut corners....for 98% of the people on this board.

I have customers who buy the correct fuel management, install the kit, think they can install the fuel stuff later....blow there motor and its my fault.....but....

You can use the REFLASH and the injectors(410-440cc) and a small wheel T3/T4 (or a GT28rs for convos sake) at no more than 5 psi and have an awesome tune/powerband.

It actually works well on the stock ecu as well..just dont boost more than 5psi.

I have a car here in AZ thats been running now for almost 2 years on the stock ecu and 440cc injectors at 5psi on a GT28RS and it runs like stock and is a blast to drive.

I dont like promoting it...but it does work and so to answer your question....YES

Regards-

Todd
hey todd id like to know how u can make 5 psi on a waste gate that has a spring of 0.400 bar....or would it be safer to run a 0.250 bar spring and use a boost controller to up the boost to 5
Old 08-31-2008, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ if you want only low boost always get the run the softest spring 2 or 3 psi, also consider that boost creep could happen and yeah get a boost controller to get it properly dialed to 5
Old 01-03-2009, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Interesting piece of reading and idea!

unxpectederror, how did your project go?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have had the trd reflash ecu on my car after i went turbo and it sucked!!!!!! it would pull ridiculous amounts of timing!!! and idles rough!!! the reflash will nto work point blank. take it from me that i had it! and tuning the reflash with the turbo robbed me power like crazy lets just say when i had the reflashed i dynoed at 270whp and 300 torque now with m stock ecu i dynoed at 317whp and 319 torque! on a conservative tune i think lol. when i had the reflash it was a aggressive tune cause i wasnt making anypower with my turbo on the reflash! so don waste your time. but if you do wanna try you can buy my reflash that i still have for cheap for ____s and giggles
Old 01-03-2009, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by m6ar2cel6oTC
i have had the trd reflash ecu on my car after i went turbo and it sucked!!!!!! it would pull ridiculous amounts of timing!!! and idles rough!!! the reflash will nto work point blank. take it from me that i had it! and tuning the reflash with the turbo robbed me power like crazy lets just say when i had the reflashed i dynoed at 270whp and 300 torque now with m stock ecu i dynoed at 317whp and 319 torque! on a conservative tune i think lol. when i had the reflash it was a aggressive tune cause i wasnt making anypower with my turbo on the reflash! so don waste your time. but if you do wanna try you can buy my reflash that i still have for cheap for ____s and giggles
What are you using to tune?
Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Here.

Well since this thread got bumped back to the top i gotta say this is some awesome artwork there Carbon!!
Old 01-03-2009, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i must say so too.... i can't spell words in paint!
Old 01-03-2009, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

you gotta think man. the turbo will hit 7-9 psi at 2200 RPM. the S/C is only making 3 or 4 then. so the flash is only going to dump fuel for 3 or 4 psi not 7. the trd reflas would be a great tune for that much.... at red line. IF you god a turbo that flowed the same CFM but that would be a VERY small turbo. we're talkin like a KO3A off a 1.8 vw/audi
Old 01-03-2009, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by m6ar2cel6oTC
of course that's when your trying to tune it. the trd tune doesn't like to be retuned. i was talking about the reflash it self with low level of boost from a turbo setup... which seems to work
Old 01-03-2009, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Here.

Well since this thread got bumped back to the top i gotta say this is some awesome artwork there Carbon!!
You should have saw the neighbor hood map I drew for some local guys. I was trying to explain that my house is the smallest on the block, yet the house I drew was 5 times larger than every other house. My drawings are ____ing epic.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

ROFL. Nice.^

Quick Reply: TRD Reflash + right size turbo and injectors.. does it work?