Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD S/C maintainence and Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:06 PM
SL Member

Default TRD S/C maintainence and Info

here's a little info for all the s/c guys out there.

remember smaller boost pully's lead to more hp and a blown motor if not done the correct way.

all your fancy pully's and gadgets don't mean jack with out a good tune. So find a EMS that works for you.

our motor is supposed to be able to handle 300 hp with out a build, but our toothpick rods sometimes beg to differ.

9.5 boost pully's are safe to run on the TRD ECU reflash.

Never go full throttle before engine reaches normal operating temps. The s/c full operation is after the car is at normal temps for two to three minutes.

Always use 91 + octain fuel, and fuel with a lower octain level will cause detonation.

Excessive belt tension can lead to s/c or crankshaft bearing failure. Do not use non-slipping or cog-type belts.

Clean s/c oil inlet fitting every 3000 miles using high pressure air to blow the orifice clean.

Do not use oil additives which main contain solid particles that can clog the s/c feed line.

The heat sheild is used to keep excessive heat off the s/c shaft which can lead to premature seal failure.

Recommended tuning upgrades are:
Oil pressure gauge (if you were to have a cloged orifice or loose oil pressure this gauge will let you know, so you can cut off the motor and save yourself some damages.)

Air to Fuel wideband (detonation is the big killer in the F/I world so its good to maintain a proper a/f ratio)

Boost gauge

Hope this help a little for those with s/c. If there is anything else I left out just add on to it.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:39 AM

do they make a s/c for a/t?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Banned
SL Member

What would you call the gates belt ? could that belt be too tight and cause the bearings to fail ?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
The Family
SL Member

so you can have a 9.5 pulley on a S/C with the Factory engine reflash they do when they put the supercharger in and it will be ok.

what about a cold air intake.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RS1Kid
do they make a s/c for a/t?
Check my profile.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good Info.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:41 AM
SL Member

I'm not to sure if they do make a s/c for the a/t I think I read that they do on here. try a search for it. but yes you can run the 9.5 with the trd ecu reflash. and there are cai that use can use with the sc (either mmw or you can mod one yourself) but this will lead to running a lean air to fuel ratio because your mass airflow sensor is still gonna read stock like its supposed to. ummm I don't know that if you run a EMS if you can control the mixture with a cai on the sc. if anyone has info on that please let me know. but as far as I've read they really don't give you large enough gain to even bother modding or purchasing a custom cai. either was running lean in the long term will catch up to your motor. and no I don't think the gates belt is too tight. you gotta have something a little tighter to compensate for the smaller size pully. but going much tighter to try to eliminate belt slippage is no good
Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice tips..... though I wasn't aware of the need to clean the oil inlet ( and apparently neither is the service dept at the dealership who said we do not need any special maintenance on the sc ). Is it difficult to get at and take care of?
thx
Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
The Family
SL Member

so instead of a CAI is it just better to run like a short ram intake. i just dont see how running a 9.5 pulley will not mess up the motor but putting a CAI will. i just want to know because i have a CAI and have not had any problems but if im hurting something i would rather just put a Short Ram and be safer with my car.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ though trd says we are not to use a cai w/ the sc; the regional rep ( at a recent showing of the new xb which now has the 2.4 ) said that not only would the sc become available but thought the cai as well. He was not aware of the "limits' we have on our system for the TC. I have not heard back on it so maybe the 2 won't be able to be used together.... but I figured if it can work on one scion it should on another...
Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 PM
SL Member

well the 9.5 doesn't add too much boost the the ecu can't keep up, but while the cai won't hurt your engine right now, its still bringing in more air the the stock air box, and your ecu isn't able to balance out you a/f so running lean over a period of time is what's bad for your engine. ram air intake will do the same
Old 05-30-2007, 07:50 PM
SL Member

I will do a write up on cleaning the oil inlet filter
Old 05-31-2007, 12:16 AM
Banned
SL Member

I have a full Injen cai and run pretty good a/f's 14.7 cruising and 10.2 wot at redline, it does lean out a little at lower rpms if I dip into to it alot, but since I am not making much boost at all so it should't be a problem.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

**has blown two motors with 9.5 pulley**

Both times showed a loss of 45 psi in 3rd hole after a compression check.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I had the MMW s/c intake and had problems with it. During normal everyday driving, my A/F gauge would fluctuate, then read off-the-charts lean and the ECU would pull timing, making me lose power. As long as I'm accelerating hard, the readings would be normal.

Someone else here has one and had problems with his MMW s/c intake, things went back to normal when he put the stock intake back on.

I let a friend of mine use the s/c intake and he doesn't have any problems. He says it gives a more noticeable gain than he expected. I'm not sure why it works well for some people but not others, but a wideband A/F gauge would be a wise investment, esp if anyone wants to modify the intake.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Curtball
I will do a write up on cleaning the oil inlet filter
Curtball may have a different/easier way of removing the oil inlet, but here is a thread I started a while back and recently made a write-up on how to remove the oil inlet.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...74167&start=20
Old 05-31-2007, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice info
Old 10-08-2007, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: TRD S/C maintainence and Info

Originally Posted by Curtball
here's a little info for all the s/c guys out there.

Clean s/c oil inlet fitting every 3000 miles using high pressure air to blow the orifice clean..
any pic ?? gow to??? clean