Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD S/C Questions (S/C owners, PLEASE help me out)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 09:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD S/C Questions (S/C owners, PLEASE help me out)

I think I will get a TRD S/C as it's a good HP gainer to keep under warranty. And I do have some questions that I can HOPEFULLY get answered.

1. I already have a AP lightweight pulley coming in, so I hear that if you mess with some cap, then it voids the warranty. So, would there be any way for me to put it back on? I'm not too familiar with this. Can anyone help me with this? (I would guess the problems would be related to the smaller pullies, but this is just a lighter, same size pulley.)

2. What's the BEST size pulley to run a TRD S/C on without having any problems? I think 9 PSI is the best size, unless if anyone could please tell me otherwise.

3. How much will the dealer install the S/C for?

Any problems or warnings I should be aware of? I know I will get some good tips and help as I've seen tons of nice people around here. Gotta love SL!

Thanks for your time!
[table:69cb04e9b8][/table:69cb04e9b8]
Old 06-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

1. If you change any of the pulleys on the car with the S/C you will VOID your engine and powertrain warranty. That is a fact and please don't let anyone fool you into thinking other wise. I am a dealer I know this to be true.

2. There is no way to remove the tamper proof cap. That's why it's called a tamper proof cap. If it is removed you will not have a warranty.

3. The best size pulley for the S/C is the one that comes with it. If you're really worried about warranty then don't change the pulley, intake, or add a header with the S/C. If you do you will not have a warranty.

4. We chagred $450 for the installation but they can run anywhere from $600 and up depending on how cool or not cool the dealer is.

I'm not trying to tell you what to or not to do with you car but if you want to change the pulley and what not the please just go buy a turbo set up. If something goes wrong with it you can buy parts for turbo kits. You can't do that with the S/C. If you void the warranty with a pulley just think that anytime something goes wrong you're going to be kicking out abut $3700. The S/C is a great way to go for F/I if you let it work the way it was designed to.

Oh and if you don't believe the hype about you not having a warranty just look through this section you'll find a few people out here that didn't believe it either.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do not change the pulley. Like Josh said, if you are going to change the pulley, you might as well go turbo.

I got my SC installed and picked it up yesterday for $480. (Sport City Toyota rocks!)

Josh, does it void warranty if you put on an upgraded bypass/diverter valve for the supercharger?

Also, what if I were to have the stock headers ceramic coated?
Old 06-16-2006, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Is there anything that you can upgrade on the s/c to increase performance and not void warrenty?
Old 06-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If you're talking about the BPV then yes it could effect the warranty. I was told by TRD that it would but you can make that call by yourself.

As long are you don't put a header on the car you're fine. If you want to ceramic coat the Exhaut manifold it can't effect the warranty. Not sure it would be worth it but it can't hurt.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Mach06
Is there anything that you can upgrade on the s/c to increase performance and not void warrenty?
Only an axle back or cat back exhaust and a drop in filter. Other than that you're on your own.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I'm just looking to ceramic coat the headers for reduced underhood temperatures....especially since now the supercharger is installed. But that's good to know it won't affect warranty by doing that.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Having my header ceramic coated by a local shop and going to get an additional heat shield fab'd for it :p
Old 06-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Atleast you're taking precautions. Oh and it's shipping out this afternoon.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

weeeeeee

Next week is going to be a good week. Although I did reach my first snag. I was going to test-fit the new header to make sure I didn't have to send it back for another one (as I've heard MMW had fitment issues at one time or another and I dont think I could return it with a fresh coat of ceramics on it) and in the process of removing the o2, it seemed to have crossthreaded inside...it still had threads left, but I don't want to trust them with the additional heat/powah from the supercharger :p

So that was $267 and it should be here Monday ~~

But this weekend I'm going to try fitting it again snice I ran out of "energy to give a damn" yesterday after comin home with that little receipt.

Yea precautions are good. unfortunately precautions usually cost more money :p
Old 06-16-2006, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will be using Swain tech.

He's proven himself to do a great job. The Speedforce Racing headers he coated for my 944 3.0L turbo project were pure sex.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, thanks for the help. I think I will order it from TRDSparks as they have the cheapest S/C I can find. I've already ordered the shock set, so it depends on the time, quality, service for me to get the S/C from them. Is there any places that sells them for cheaper and IS LEGIT WITH AUTHENTIC PARTS?
Old 06-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by 20tCDude05
Wow, thanks for the help. I think I will order it from TRDSparks as they have the cheapest S/C I can find. I've already ordered the shock set, so it depends on the time, quality, service for me to get the S/C from them. Is there any places that sells them for cheaper and IS LEGIT WITH AUTHENTIC PARTS?
Even if you find is else where for cheaper no one is as cool as we are. lol j/k
Old 06-16-2006, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, I will only buy from authorized Scion dealers. And I wonder if my dealer has the reflash tool...
Old 06-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If they don't and you have a manual you can over night your ECU to us and we can flash it here.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by josh_trdsparks
If they don't and you have a manual you can over night your ECU to us and we can flash it here.
Might be alot to do that. I've heard about this Unichip, does it come with it? What does it do and how does it help?
Old 06-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Nah it comes with a cartridge that is plugged into the flash tool and loaded into the ECU. I don't know anything about a Unichip.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, ok. But, thanks for the help!
Old 06-16-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, I've heard something about a water cooling injector or whatever it is. How much is it, is it worth it? And how many HP does it give you?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

My dealer had TRDSparks reflash the computer. Only took a day or so to get it back.

Quick Reply: TRD S/C Questions (S/C owners, PLEASE help me out)