Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD S/C Questions (S/C owners, PLEASE help me out)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gives you another 150HP and costs $8,000
Old 06-16-2006, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

josh, now that the s/c's fit the automatics.. will it still require the flash tool?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattvs
gives you another 150HP and costs $8,000
Oh man...
Old 06-17-2006, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Nothing voids your warranty just by installing it! if a problem arises and it can be proven that the aftermarket part caused it (and it has to be proven!) just check the magnusson moss warranty act!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
Nothing voids your warranty just by installing it! if a problem arises and it can be proven that the aftermarket part caused it (and it has to be proven!) just check the magnusson moss warranty act!
How can a pulley affect the supercharger tho?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No one makes an aftercooler for the supercharger. Myself and a few others are currently in the process of fabricating air/water intercoolers but none of us are done. Also the automatic supercharger kit does require the flash tool, however it also requires that you reflash using TIS aswell as with the flash tool.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

With the Moss-Magnusson Waranty Act you have to keep in mind that there is no waranty police to force anyone to fix your car. Most likely you will have to take them to court to make anything happen. Even if you are in the right, you still have to convince a judge or jury that you are right. I would not want to have to explain to a bunch of housewives and retired accountants (who else has time for jury duty?) that my "irresponsible" performance mods did not break my car, and who knows if a small claims court judge is any better?
Old 06-17-2006, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I wanna get to 250-275 WHP with a TRD Supercharger set-up. I know the S/C can't give it that much, but I know the boosts helps (what size belt do you recommend to the max without damaging the engine) and I plan on getting a Magnaflow cat-back, that's pretty much it the parts I can get without voiding my warranty. A header, intake, and pulley will void it. So, what should I do to reach my goals of 250-275 WHP? I have like a 5K budget that I will use for the rims, suspension set up, and I will ask for a loan for the S/C. Any ideas to help me on this?
Old 06-17-2006, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

as long as you put it on after they install the s/c, you will be ok...BUT...if something happens to it and they prove the pulley caused it or had something to do with the problem...your warranty will not cover it.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Moss-Magnusson Warranty Act does not cover you if the warranty for the part explicitly states that a certain mod will void the warranty. They just have to be up front about it. My TRD S/C warranty specifically states that. The act will not protect you if you were told first that you will lose your warranty if you mod, whether the mod caused the problem or not.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as long as you put it on after they install the s/c, you will be ok...BUT...if something happens to it and they prove the pulley caused it or had something to do with the problem...your warranty will not cover it.
Hmm, what are the odds of that, is the pulley a big part of it, I mean, it's something that spins, haha. Anyway, it's not like I'm putting new pistons in it. Anyway, please read my previous post on this about my goals to get 250-275 WHP as I want that answered badly, thanks...
Old 06-17-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=124916
it can happen and it won't be good. it is possible to acheive that hp with a s/c but it will be much cheaper to just go turbo and it will affect your warranty in the same way as the other aftermarket parts
Old 06-17-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=124916
it can happen and it won't be good. it is possible to acheive that hp with a s/c but it will be much cheaper to just go turbo and it will affect your warranty in the same way as the other aftermarket parts
Ok, so what do I have to do to get 250-275 WHP? What size belt would be the best gains without hurting the engine? Also, I can't afford a turbo, so rather do this. Plus, I have a partial hearing loss ( ) so tuning would be horrible for me as sound is important to it. Usually, S/Cs are maintenance-free, except for periodically check-ups.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You cannot gain more hp by changing the belt. That will do nothing. As for 250-275 hp, I hate to sound like a jerk but if you want to keep your warranty then you are out of luck. There is nothing you can do to reach that goal without losing warranty. You cannot add headers because TRD gives you a new heatshield for a reason, otherwise they would tell you to just remove it. There is no cold air intake available, however if you had one fabbed up you may be able to get away with it. Unless of course you hydrolock. Changing out pulleys is obviously a no brainer. An intercooler would give you more power and I personally would never condemn a car that came into my shop just because it had one. Unless of course that actually was the problem. I.E. coolant leaking into the intake through the intercooler. So to honestly answer you question there is really nothing you can do to reach that power without losing warranty. Also when tuning a car most people don't do it by ear.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06scionsc
You cannot gain more hp by changing the belt. That will do nothing. As for 250-275 hp, I hate to sound like a jerk but if you want to keep your warranty then you are out of luck. There is nothing you can do to reach that goal without losing warranty. You cannot add headers because TRD gives you a new heatshield for a reason, otherwise they would tell you to just remove it. There is no cold air intake available, however if you had one fabbed up you may be able to get away with it. Unless of course you hydrolock. Changing out pulleys is obviously a no brainer. An intercooler would give you more power and I personally would never condemn a car that came into my shop just because it had one. Unless of course that actually was the problem. I.E. coolant leaking into the intake through the intercooler. So to honestly answer you question there is really nothing you can do to reach that power without losing warranty. Also when tuning a car most people don't do it by ear.
Oh, but sometimes the sounds can tell if you're running rich or whatever. I wouldn't know.

That really sucks I can't get to 250 WHP. I'm getting the TRD Supercharger and the Magnaflow Catback, how much total HP would that give me? Like 225?
Old 06-17-2006, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

195-200 or so.

go for a lightened flywheel, light weight 17in wheels...you can do an after market header/down-pipe...just be sure to get it thermal coated and get a heat shield for it..that's what I'm in the process of. You dont need horsepower to go fast. Take enough weight off and your powah will improve.

Don't do a crank pulley, don't do a supercharger pulley.

Ok, so what do I have to do to get 250-275 WHP?
Get a turbo or a different car. Nothing getting your 275hp is proven reliable, with exception to maybe Sound Performance's kit, which is only running 7psi. If I was going to turbo, I'd have gone with them, but I just don't have the everyday knowledge to keep a turbo car running as reliable as I need it to be for business and whatnot :p
Old 06-17-2006, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

195-200 or so.

go for a lightened flywheel, light weight 17in wheels...you can do an after market header/down-pipe...just be sure to get it thermal coated and get a heat shield for it..that's what I'm in the process of. You dont need horsepower to go fast. Take enough weight off and your powah will improve.

Don't do a crank pulley, don't do a supercharger pulley.

Ok, so what do I have to do to get 250-275 WHP?
Get a turbo or a different car. Nothing getting your 275hp is proven reliable, with exception to maybe Sound Performance's kit, which is only running 7psi. If I was going to turbo, I'd have gone with them, but I just don't have the everyday knowledge to keep a turbo car running as reliable as I need it to be for business and whatnot :p
I just think turbos are too much for my expertise. Anyway, how hard is it to put in a flywheel? I dunno where that is or how to put it in? And anymore weight reducing tips?
Old 06-17-2006, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

weeeeeee

Next week is going to be a good week. Although I did reach my first snag. I was going to test-fit the new header to make sure I didn't have to send it back for another one (as I've heard MMW had fitment issues at one time or another and I dont think I could return it with a fresh coat of ceramics on it) and in the process of removing the o2, it seemed to have crossthreaded inside...it still had threads left, but I don't want to trust them with the additional heat/powah from the supercharger :p

So that was $267 and it should be here Monday ~~

But this weekend I'm going to try fitting it again snice I ran out of "energy to give a damn" yesterday after comin home with that little receipt.

Yea precautions are good. unfortunately precautions usually cost more money :p
$267 for a sensor???
$157 through Partznet, a site sponser on SL.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...05&catalogid=1
Old 06-17-2006, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To change out your flywheel you would need to remove the transmission from the car. However I would not recommend doing this yourself if you aren't sure where it is. Probably the best statement you have made was saying turbo's are too much for your expertise. Honestly more people need to say this to themselves. I love my supercharger and think it is a blast. I have owned turbo cars before and had them run reliably. There is considerably more work involved than just buying a turbo kit. I don't care what kit you get, you always have a few more things to get so it runs right. If you want to stay warranty friendly i would not do the headers, but I would do an S-Pipe and full catback. Also change out the stock bypass valve for a bosch 110. It looks just like stock and essentially performs the same, except you will not have 2lbs of boost leak. Other than that right now it looks like you are out of luck until somebody starts to make an aftercooler system or a cold air. Then hopefully those won't be a warranty issue.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06scionsc
To change out your flywheel you would need to remove the transmission from the car. However I would not recommend doing this yourself if you aren't sure where it is. Probably the best statement you have made was saying turbo's are too much for your expertise. Honestly more people need to say this to themselves. I love my supercharger and think it is a blast. I have owned turbo cars before and had them run reliably. There is considerably more work involved than just buying a turbo kit. I don't care what kit you get, you always have a few more things to get so it runs right. If you want to stay warranty friendly i would not do the headers, but I would do an S-Pipe and full catback. Also change out the stock bypass valve for a bosch 110. It looks just like stock and essentially performs the same, except you will not have 2lbs of boost leak. Other than that right now it looks like you are out of luck until somebody starts to make an aftercooler system or a cold air. Then hopefully those won't be a warranty issue.
Oh, I thought the Bosch 007 was better.

Quick Reply: TRD S/C Questions (S/C owners, PLEASE help me out)