Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD supercharger for auto!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
Majority of drag cars are auto.... With the right mods, An auto will beat a manual.... shift kits, stall converters... things of that nature.... jsut a little input... that's all
This is true, a lot of pro drag racers have used autos to beat manual drivers. It requires some mods but when done properly an auto will have the advantage.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But there's no sport anymore!
Old 01-14-2006, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
^ LOL
When ZPI installed the supercharger they got 195whp, I havent seen any in the 180 range.
Although I'm guessing the Auto S/C will be right around 185.
ZPI also dyno'd the s/c with exhaust. A stock manual with s/c will dyno around 185-190whp. A stock automatic should dyno around 170-175whp. 175whp would probably be pushing it, it will more likely be around 170whp.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is true, a lot of pro drag racers have used autos to beat manual drivers. It requires some mods but when done properly an auto will have the advantage.
Still, you've sucked the fun right out of the race ;)

Honestly though, my car runs mid 15's with my 18"s. I guarantee I'll be in the low 14's with my SC, and nothing else.

At any rate, I guess I just hate automatic transmissions (reguardless of them having more potential or what not) because you don't drive the car, the car drives you. Here, let met some it up:

3 pedals > 2

Flame on.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DSG! is all i have to say
Old 01-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

first of all, the drag cars have trannys that cost as much as our cars. and NOTHING is out there for the auto for the TC that will make it a competitor(sp) in drag racing at our levels. and as for peop;le buying S/C's for their autos, in my opinion, its not worth the money. but i really dont care if someone wants to spend 4k on a auto to make it just a little faster than a manual TC in the first place. as for people who buy a high stall kit for daily driving, their idiots, i would love to drive around with them in the city and have them have to launch at every stop sign, red light, cause their tranny wont engage till 3k rpm. well thats just my opinion. take it or leave it
Old 01-16-2006, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member

Default HEY NOW!!!

Originally Posted by serith
An auto that shifts faster than any human can? Uh.. I really didn't want to have to sign in and make a fuss, but my friend owns an auto, and I have a 5speed. I've driven his, he's driven mine. The MT will shift faster any day of the week (given a decent driver). Not only does the AT suffer from "long gears", but from the lag generated when it shifts. The AT is a good highway car. As for performance, I wouldn't even bother with a SC for the AT. Doesn't seem worth it. And don't get me wrong, autos have there place, but racing isn't one of them.
grant there are no shift kits for our TCs yet, but Autos not in racing? I raced a 1972 GTO with a 455 HO (blah blah blah ) well lets say its 10.49@132mph(663hp and 660lbft torque) for a 1/4 mile and well it was running an Auto, not only was it running an auto the shifts where just as fast and crisp as any manual tranny out there(my tranny guy said it was all about the *****). Yes I did switch to a 4speed manual but thats mainly because I like to shift my own gears. Now before you guys light me up and say "ohh thats a race car" my old Audi Coup GT with its 5 speed, I could speed shift that with only using my thumb and forefinger. If your tranny sucks it don't matter if its a manual or auto. It just so happens that the manual is much better then the auto in our TC, but to make a blanket statement that an auto has no place in racing is just well a n00b thing to do
Old 01-16-2006, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
im not saying that the automatic transmission will run faster quarter mile or 0-60 times, im just saying its IMPOSSIBLE for a human to shift faster than a computer.

Nope, the auto tranny wont outperform the MT, but i'd put money on it that the auto tranny will run a 15 flat in the 1/4 mile.
You're missing part of the equation. You're completely forgetting the hydraulic components that the computer is operating in the transmission. So taking that into consideration, you need to rethink your impossibility statement in regards to the shifting performance of the stock transmissions in the tC.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much hp can a auto tranny handle? how much psi for that matter. anyone really know? im thinkin' we're gonna have to wait until this auto fit kit for the s/c actually comes out and see what other people do.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sam_J84
how much hp can a auto tranny handle? how much psi for that matter. anyone really know? im thinkin' we're gonna have to wait until this auto fit kit for the s/c actually comes out and see what other people do.
I'd say safely around 10psi, give or take. Without any modifications to the tranny that is. Probably around 220whp-230whp at most over a long period of time. Even then its questionable when you talk years.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i wouldnt put anything more than 220 to the wheels. the stock auto tranny wasnt build for power.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm, looks like i'd have to upgrade my tranny then.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

auto's can be made to out perform a manual; but many of those mods can make life on the street a bit miserable. My friends Camaro ran 10.7; built rat motor; full manual auto w/ hi-stall convertor. Car was a blast; and with the auto taking driver "error" out of the time equations, it was very consistant ( yes I know a stick driver can run very similar times;but it is difficult ). But when driving it around town; there was no "drive" to rely on, making it a bit tedious at times. But i guess that's in a way the same as a stronger pressure plate making the old left leg grow quite tired in stop & go traffic with a stick.
Back to the present; last blown 4 with an auto I drove was when Mitsu put at's in the first gen eclipses. Car still performed nicely ( factory said only 5hp less for at; seemed to lose more then that though ); but could not match the stick's initial surges off the line.
But many people want/enjoy going shiftless--no reason they can't have fun too. But I would think that with heavy engine mods, these auto transaxles will definitely need some modding as well.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
Scikotics
SL Member

this thread is killing me... i got my tC as a gift (it happens to be an automatic) i was totally set on getting the supercharger, but now i find out that i am not going to get the power?!?!?! I am going to drop $6000 total (money i had saved up for my car, and i want POWER... what the heck can i do to spank the 325i's and civics in jersey?
Old 01-26-2006, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by SkaTG2k3
this thread is killing me... i got my tC as a gift (it happens to be an automatic) i was totally set on getting the supercharger, but now i find out that i am not going to get the power?!?!?! I am going to drop $6000 total (money i had saved up for my car, and i want POWER... what the heck can i do to spank the 325i's and civics in jersey?
the tC can already spank civics and 325i's
Old 01-26-2006, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
Scikotics
SL Member

...ahem... slighty modded (I/H/E) civics fart canned up... that makes them feel their poopie don't stink guys... besides... im an auto, i have noticed lag over the manual i test drove... sorry for being unclear
Old 01-26-2006, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

auto fit kit has been out for a while now..u can always get the stage 0 kit from zpi. i was going to get that kit until the release of the s/c. what really won me over was that it was putting close to 200whp. even though we are auto's we can still get the same percent of power increase. if you want more boost you can simply change out the pulleys. right now im doing research on an emanage that my tuner can actually tune. thinking of unichip seeing as how that is the best candidate out there. and yeh, tC's can already spank civics and 325is..just cuz the civic's exhaust is loud doesnt mean anything
Old 01-26-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by SkaTG2k3
...ahem... slighty modded (I/H/E) civics fart canned up... that makes them feel their poopie don't stink guys... besides... im an auto, i have noticed lag over the manual i test drove... sorry for being unclear
its quite alright, im auto and ive beaten 325i's and i/h/e civics.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
auto fit kit has been out for a while now..u can always get the stage 0 kit from zpi. i was going to get that kit until the release of the s/c. what really won me over was that it was putting close to 200whp. even though we are auto's we can still get the same percent of power increase. if you want more boost you can simply change out the pulleys. right now im doing research on an emanage that my tuner can actually tune. thinking of unichip seeing as how that is the best candidate out there. and yeh, tC's can already spank civics and 325is..just cuz the civic's exhaust is loud doesnt mean anything
last night i was driving with my friend, and we pulled up to a civic with a really loud exhaust, and when the civic took off from a light, my friend said that they just heard an airplane take off.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im curious because before the S/C came out people where installing turbos for the M/T. I rememer a lot of people said if you have a A/T tranny to wait for the S/C because A/T tranny handle better a S/C installed then with a Turbo. Now that the S/C is finally coming out for the A/T you guys are saying it wont really make a difference. I think i got the wrong car LOL ><

Quick Reply: TRD supercharger for auto!!!