Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD Supercharger: Hydrocarbon Trap & Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Default TRD Supercharger: Hydrocarbon Trap & Air Filter

Will installing the TRD High Flow Air Filter provide any significant gains? Does it sound nicer? A review from someone who has had this filter in a supercharged tC would be very helpful.

Also, what are hydrocarbons and what harm can they cause the engine if this trap/filter is removed?

Does this trap/filter affect performance and how?

The installation manual states the following:
WARNING
Your 2AZ-FE (2.4L) supercharger system is equipped with a Hydrocarbon (HC) trap for emissions compliance. DO NOT remove, modify, or tamper with this part (#17620-953-05). Your supercharger system has been designed and calibrated to operate correctly with this HC trap.

I tried searching on the forums and search engines with no luck. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HC would be running rich...so id assume that the catch is just their to eliminate or help the cat along with its job...well if it says its calibrated for it i wouldnt...it will prolly throw a CEL. as far as the filter cant help you their id personally assume it wouldnt gain much power cuz ur adding a restriction but it would sound sweet...
Old 05-11-2007, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The only purpose for the HC filter is to catch fumes from the fuel lines as they seep into the intake when the engine is off (our cars have a return-less fuel system). Supposedly, it's better for the environment if you leave it in. I removed it a long time ago and have not had any problems. All tC's come with the HC filter from the factory (stock) and many people put on an aftermarket intake without problems. I put a K&N filter in my car last month and haven't had problems, but also didn't really notice any gain.

I've had the supercharger since November 05, no problems. Made a few upgrades in the past couple months.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we too have been considering the new trd filter; not sure what real "hp" it may add but i'd assume it would flow beter then stock paper filter. Should be similar to a K&N, and from what i've seen a somewhat similar price.
Plus..... knowing how finicky TRD can be about our sc's; maybe running their trd filter instead of a K&N version would avoid any possible arguments they could toss at us if we had a prob?
Even if the trd filter is only a marginal increase, we'll probably go with it for the long term value.
As a noob to the tuner world, i'm curious what different noise it makes then running the stock filter? More of a rush of air sound ( like the olden days when one could "flip the lid" and the air cleaner to open up the air flow )?
thx
Old 05-11-2007, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by imsono___un
I put a K&N filter in my car last month and haven't had problems, but also didn't really notice any gain.

I've had the supercharger since November 05, no problems. Made a few upgrades in the past couple months.

You will not notice any gain from the air filter. because the gain is very little, the gain might be 1hp increase. LOL but I could be wrong. We just have to hope that TRD or some company will come out with a good intake for the S/C with some nice gains. that's safe for our cars and also tested on a dynos, streets, tracks, and have good test results

Originally Posted by Basstrack17
knowing how finicky TRD can be about our sc's; maybe running their trd filter instead of a K&N version would avoid any possible arguments they could toss at us if we had a prob?
Even if the trd filter is only a marginal increase, we'll probably go with it for the long term value.
That would be crazy if TRD want to void someone's warranty because someone change their air filter.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^oh i know it would be crazy for them to do that; but hey they tell us not to even touch the bpv which should have no bearing on the sc whatsoever.
PLus I actually had a parts person "suggest" that maybe we'd be better off not having aftermarket in there in case of warranty.
talk about everyone walking around on egg shells with trd...

I agree the best thing would be for trd to revise their tc intake to work with their sc. After all--they'd be getting sales from those of us who ( at least now ) are keeping warranty on the brain; and would still offer us the chance to mod a bit and dress up the engine bay.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I went to pick up my TC after getting the charger installed, my service adviser had the TRD tech come out so he could explain to me my new charger setup. One of the first things he said was that the air box intake was extremely restricted because of the hydrocarbon screen. He even suggested that I remove it and said that it was mainly there because of smog regulations. However, it seems like the hydrocarbon screen is what seals the upper and bottom portion of the intake box. So... I figure the best way to do this is to order another hydrocarbon screen part and cut out the screen and keep the untampered one for when you go into the dealer for maintenance. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Also, as for the air filter... i remember seeing a thread comparing the k&n vs. stock air filter, I believe the K&N actually decreased by 1 hp, while increasing by 1 lb torque. If this is the case, it's not worth it... I believe removing the hydrocarbon screen is what will increase performance.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by KiKaZ-sC
When I went to pick up my TC after getting the charger installed, my service adviser had the TRD tech come out so he could explain to me my new charger setup. One of the first things he said was that the air box intake was extremely restricted because of the hydrocarbon screen. He even suggested that I remove it and said that it was mainly there because of smog regulations. However, it seems like the hydrocarbon screen is what seals the upper and bottom portion of the intake box. So... I figure the best way to do this is to order another hydrocarbon screen part and cut out the screen and keep the untampered one for when you go into the dealer for maintenance. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Also, as for the air filter... i remember seeing a thread comparing the k&n vs. stock air filter, I believe the K&N actually decreased by 1 hp, while increasing by 1 lb torque. If this is the case, it's not worth it... I believe removing the hydrocarbon screen is what will increase performance.
im surprised they made that suggestion. i also noticed yesterday that it helps hold the box together - without the hc trap, you cant close the box right. but thats a good idea. i'll prob buy another hc trap and cut it up. good thinking! lol.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh... let me get things straight, the dealer (toyota) would never recommend altering their kit. But, I can tell this TRD tech was telling me this in like a... man to man kind of way... if you know what i mean?
Old 05-13-2007, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Oh... let me get things straight, the dealer (toyota) would never recommend altering their kit. But, I can tell this TRD tech was telling me this in like a... man to man kind of way... if you know what i mean?
lol. i got ya. same with my guy, telling me to upgrade the pully. i was like, well u shouldnt have put the tamper cap on it!! he just said oops. lol.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will be watching this thread. I have been planning on doing this with my airbox for a while, but I have not got around to getting a price on the HC screen, if you do purchase one please post the price and also how everything is working...
Old 05-13-2007, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I will be watching this thread. I have been planning on doing this with my airbox for a while, but I have not got around to getting a price on the HC screen, if you do purchase one please post the price and also how everything is working...
yea, im ordering the trd drop in filter tomorrow and ill find out pricing on the hc trap.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

There's no cutting needed for the HC trap. You can just pop it off of the plastic surround and place the plastic surround between the upper and lower portion of the air box. If you do it right, all you have to do is put a couple dabs of superglue on the filter to make it look like it was never removed.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm... i haven't had a chance to look at the HC screen closely like that... but thanks for the info. I will probably still get another HC screen if its not too expensive because I already know i am going to hate having to super glue the screen back on everytime I go to the dealer.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where do they sell the HC filter? BTW, how will we know the gains if someone doesnt dyno before and after.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the dealer... PART# TRD 17620-953-05 HC

as for the dynos.... HANDLE IT BUDDY, let me know the results!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I don't think anyone wants to pay between $150-200 to get before and after dynos for something that doesn't really gain you that much.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow... if its that much money i may just have to pop out the stupid screen and glue it back on when needed. also, as for gains... i don't think i have seen any kind of dynos of people with custom intakes on their s/c systems, so we don't really know what #'s we gain from that either. Theres a 1st time for everything, so we'll never know unless someone does this...

i believe allowing more air flow in the intake will make our s/c systems more efficient.... i could be wrong. also, as of right now the only intake system im going with for my s/c is the stock one.

i believe ICENINE has his stock airbox with the HC screen removed...
Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just popped mine out and there is no need for any superglue. It can be easily popped back into place at anytime. As for gains...well it 'feels' more responsive but we all know how powerful the human brain is ;) But after examining the HC screen it is likely there is a definite increase in air flow. That sucker looks highly restrictive. Here is a picture to give you an idea. It looks almost completely blocked the cottony material in the center.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="Stone128"]I just popped mine out and there is no need for any superglue. It can be easily popped back into place at anytime. As for gains...well it 'feels' more responsive but we all know how powerful the human brain is ;) But after examining the HC screen it is likely there is a definite increase in air flow. That sucker looks highly restrictive. Here is a picture to give you an idea. It looks almost completely blocked the cottony material in the center.

NICE!!! I will definitely try just popping it out... how is the tC running? Does it seem like it's running rich?

Quick Reply: TRD Supercharger: Hydrocarbon Trap & Air Filter