Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD Supercharger: Hydrocarbon Trap & Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The car is running great. I just went on an hour drive and I can say without a doubt there is improved throttle response and pickup. My assumption is that I am now seeing the full 7psi. I won't be able to definitively say this though until I have my boost gauge which should be next week. I will run with and without the filter and see if my assumptions are correct. In terms of running rich, I have no idea. The trd reflash runs quite rich after 5k rpms anyway. I've always had a black buildup in my muffler since the install. I don't believe this will cause the car to run any richer. If anything, the increase in the air from removing the filter will create a leaner condition, but nothing that is dangerous. Again, all assumptions and nothing based on hard fact. The only true way to tell anything is to use a wideband a/f gauge and bring the car to a dyno. Only downside to this easy mod is your now releasing illegal emissions I guess, but most people run a midpipe with no cat anyway sooo unless your in green peace, give it a whirl.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^

I have a boost gauge and I assume you are taking to all the rumors that the stock BPV leaks, well I can tell you that at redline, the s/c is hitting 7 psi. Now... as for you feeling like the your getting the full 7 psi, I can pretty much guarantee you have been getting the full 7 psi, if your s/c is running in proper condition... I believe you are probably hitting 7 psi earlier than the redline, which would be awesome!

hmm... should i pop out the hc filter before I hit the track on friday?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If possible try a run with the the filter in and the filter out.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is interesting...I was pretty sure that the TRD supercharger came with a TRD air filter that is similar to the K&N. Nevermind...if I was anyone and everyone who has a supercharger, just wait until a CAI is made for it. That will give you the difference you are looking for when sucking air into the supercharger! Great improve though!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

i have the trd drop-in filter and its much better than the paper one. definitely feels like the car can breathe a little easier.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Today I finally decided to see if popping out the HC screen would put less pressure on the defective clamp, but the damn clamp still wont stay shut!

Anyways, I went for a little test spin with the HC screen out and only noticed a difference in the low power band. I did not see any difference in boost.... but it did seem like the supercharger was getting much more air. The only really way well see if taking out the hc screen as any hp gains is from a dyno.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ hopefully,within the next month i'm gonna order the TRD high flow filter for the supercharger, from TRDsparks. I'm gonna take it to the dyno and do a stock run and a run with the HC filter and high flow filter. I would actually prefer a K&N filter but i dont know where to get one that fits the SC airbox.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1tc4u2nv
^ hopefully,within the next month i'm gonna order the TRD high flow filter for the supercharger, from TRDsparks. I'm gonna take it to the dyno and do a stock run and a run with the HC filter and high flow filter. I would actually prefer a K&N filter but i dont know where to get one that fits the SC airbox.
If your going to do a dyno run... please do one where the HC screen is removed! I doubt there would be much difference between k&n, TRD, or toyota stock air filter with the HC screen in, but I think removing the HC screen will make a difference,

I plan on getting the K&N drop-in filter and probably leave the HC screen on until I see some dyno charts. I managed to find the K&N filter size for our s/c by using www.knfilters.com cross reference guide. I'm not exactly sure which part# it is, because the cross reference search results give me 3 different part numbers.

I believe it is this first part# 33-2052 (judging from the picture)
other part # given but doesn't appear to be the correct one are... #33-2145-1 and the third part# provided by k&n definitely isn't the correct one... part # E-2370

It has to be K&N part# 33-2052
Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ yea, my bad, thats what i meant to say, HC trap removed and the trd jigh flow filter
Old 07-10-2007, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ yea, my bad, thats what i meant to say, HC trap removed and the trd jigh flow filter
Didn't you say you prefer a K&N over the TRD. I truthfully rather go with K&N, i mean... come on, TRD can't have the best of everything! I rather go with K&N because they mainly do air filters.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

carlos, do 5 runs
1. hc trap on, stock filter
2. hc trap off, stock filter
3. hc trap on, trd filter
4. hc trap off, trd filter
5. hc trap off, no filter. lol. jk.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

^lol
Old 07-11-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jasonrs2
carlos, do 5 runs
damn jason thats gonna cost me an arm and a leg. i'll do a stock, HC trap removed with stock filter, and HC trap removed and trd filter.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

carlos, do 5 runs
damn jason thats gonna cost me an arm and a leg. i'll do a stock, HC trap removed with stock filter, and HC trap removed and trd filter.
dont worry man, i got you - i'll pay for it. lol..
Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

make sure you do a dyno with the hc trap screen on and the air filter in first
Old 07-12-2007, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

carlos, do 5 runs
dont worry man, i got you - i'll pay for it. lol..
aight, i ordered the trd filter, probably wont be here until monday and i want to get these dyno runs done before i get my exhaust, which is supposed to be done either tomorrow or tuesday. Wish there was someone in my area the has a TRD high flow filter on their SC, that could lend it to me to do these runs today or tomorrow..... ...
Old 07-12-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

where do you live homie? or let me know where the dyno place is. i dont think ive ever seen a car on a dyno in person so that would be cool. we can swap filters in the parking lot or something. let me know bro.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where do you live homie? or let me know where the dyno place is. i dont think ive ever seen a car on a dyno in person so that would be cool. we can swap filters in the parking lot or something. let me know bro.
ok , i'll let you know, now i'm gonna go to talk to the guy thats gonna make my exhaust, and afterwards maybe i'll hit the dyno.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry, Jason, didnt have time to hit up the dyno, we were trying different ways to get the exhaust to sound good. Do you work tomorrow? cuz i dont, if you want we could go tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

sorry, Jason, didnt have time to hit up the dyno, we were trying different ways to get the exhaust to sound good. Do you work tomorrow? cuz i dont, if you want we could go tomorrow.
its all good. i work from 9-9 tomorrow. lol. but its cool, i can leave and come back as i want. where is the dyno place at? pm me the address or directions and let me know what time youll be there or gimme ur cell or something. hopefully we can test with the trd filter so we can revolutionize the forums . how long do dyno sessions usually last?

Quick Reply: TRD Supercharger: Hydrocarbon Trap & Air Filter