Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD Supercharger Intercooler: complete, PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great job. Amazing that owners are doing more to enhance our sc's then TRD themselves. Guess in a way it's always been like that with car buffs & manu's.
Looking forward to the tests as you get them done.
Again--nice work!
Old 02-21-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TRD usually just gets their parts from other companies and then rebadges them so they're probably waiting on us to get some stuff for the s/c and then put it out under their name, lol
Old 02-21-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks very clean..
Old 02-21-2006, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ok i have an update for everyone and hopefully i can answer all your questions.

For starters thanks for all the great compliments, overall i can tell you it definately makes a difference in air temerature and the intercooler is definately working. especially when im driving above 40mph when you step on the gas it really pulls.

Now with that in mind i did discover a slight problem today and before you freak out its a problem i expected and the fix is already in the process and will be done as soon as possible. Becasue of the intercooler and the length of the piping that was necesary to fit, i lost about 4 pounds of pressure. This is due solely to the fact of the intercooler and length of piping. This was one of the area of discussions when building the intercooler, and unfortunately we couldnt find a shorter distance of piping to make it work correctly. so obviously with the loss in pressure there was a loss in horsepower, however driving feel is practically the same becasue the way the supercharger works when driving. If anyone is considering a intercooler i would highly recommmend more boost. For example if you want 8-9psi plan on using a 12pound pulley, just as an example. Now i dont want a simple fact like this to keep other people from doing what i did, i still highly recommend the intercooler with the supercharger, you just might have to find a way to compensate for a loss in boost. Like i said my plan for a fix is already in the works and i will soon be running 10psi with the intercooler, so when that happens i will definatly dyno with updated numbers, but im hoping for the mid 240's range with the intercooler at 10psi.

ok now for the questions:

I dont know how long each pipe is, pretty long, its hitting about 5.5 psi at top end, the intercooler piping is 2.5" in diameter and no I was able to keep all bumper bracing intact, some trimming of the outside holes was necesary for the intercooler piping.

I hope that helps everyone out
Old 02-21-2006, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with the increase in pulley size you are looking at to run a realtime 10#'s boost, is there any chance the injectors that came with the sc won't be large enough and you'll end up lean at hi rpm's? Or does the tuning/computer cover that automatically?
I apologize if i'm off base as i'll admit i'm not real knowledgeable on injection compared to the old carb days; but many times we ended up increasing carb size as our hp & rpm's increased to keep the right fuel/air we needed.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks like air to water intercooling like the 99 Si vortech kit may be a road to try out
Old 02-21-2006, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

basstrack: well it may be an issue but keep in mind that 10psi is only half a psi more than 9.5 you get from NST, which the injectors handle just fine. Keeping that in mind i will also be tuning with an SAFC just in case. plus it will allow me to fully utilize the potential of my setup.

Yes you could try to run the air-water cooler, but i didnt feel it was practical with the maintnence and upkeep that is required on a system of that nature.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He won't need fuel management or new injectors with a new pulley if he's just making up for lost boost due to pipe length. If he puts an 11lb pulley on there with his current setup his engine will only be seeing around 9lbs of boost which is no different than the boost he was running before the intercooler. Now if he puts a new pulley on and the engine gets say around 11lbs of boost coming in he will need new injectors and a fuel tune. ZPI is coming out in April with an 11lb pulley with new injectors and a pre-programmed emanage so I take it that when they were designing the pulley the engine started to lean out which is why they are including 550 injectors and an emanage.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I appreciate the feedback on injectors--guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.....
thanks
Old 02-22-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could use some better pics...
Old 02-22-2006, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem basstrack, glad to help
Old 02-22-2006, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice Setup!
Old 02-27-2006, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Keep up the good work.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a little late..but couldnt you do a TMIC and go with the AIT vented hood? that way you would get enough air for the IC to work right? because it looks like the S/C was never really made to be intercooled..but it seems that if you were to do a top mount then it would work...plus it'd be cheaper right?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You wouldn't want a vent with a TMIC. You would want a scoop. A vented hood would basically route all the header and radiator heat past the cooler and out of the engine bay. You could go with the MotoFX one which, i think, sits right over the header. With that set up, the radiator and header heat would vent out but then the TMIC wouldn't get much air.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so cut the hood and slap on a WRX scoop and your good to go right?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I <3 wrx hood scoops....works the same, but a lil bit of welding to do...a bit if metal...now if you got CF...pfff gl with that..

SWEET setup!! does anyone sell or will sell an intercooler set?

If so they should give intercooler, couplers, fastners, 11psi-12psi pulley, new injectors, and emanager...a GREAT GREAT package everyone will go for
Old 07-26-2006, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ill steal my friends CF hood off his STi and sell it to the highest bidder... LoL

He works in a shop making CF and Fiberglass parts, for cars. He's gunna get me my CF hood for $250, after I get my S/C purchased/installed.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how fast does this thing run ?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

$250 for CF hood? he MAKE? or just sells em...n u get discount? Cuz anything besides oem seems too good...those 04-05 wrx hoods are like 500 a piece or so....ridiculous, but I <3 em!!!

I woudl love to get someone who is expert welder/blacksmith n work out a nice hoodschoop for the hood...for looks n cool air into the engine bay,haha I WISH!!!

Quick Reply: TRD Supercharger Intercooler: complete, PICS!