Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD Supercharger on my MODDED tC

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Supercharger on my MODDED tC

I currently have

Alphawerks Headers
ZPI S-pipe
Megan Mid-pipe w/two 18" resonators
HKS exhaust
Injen intake

I'm planning on getting the s/c, now, will the dealer install my s/c with all my current mods? And after I get it installed, what should I do to get more boost? I've read around and heard about the pulleys for the tC, what's recommened? 9.5psi or 12psi? If I were to go with either one, would I need to change anything else? Also, I KNOW I'm gonna have to emanage the vehicle anyways since the TRD ecu reflash is horrible...

So what else is recommended with my current set-up with a s/c? please give me as much input as possible because I've read so many different things and would just like ONE place to get all that information put together by those who have done it before. Thank You VERY MUCH!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they might install it but they might void your warranty if something breaks, its up to the dealer if i was you i would go and talk to the dealer and ask they if those mods void your warranty, if it does your better off buying the SC from TRDsparks.com for cheaper and install it yourself or somebody with mechanical knowledge cuz the dealer charges 600+ for installation. For the boost you could go with the NST 9.5 psi pulley or the ZPI 9 psi pulley and run it safely.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

1. The dealer charges way too much for install, find your local tuner shop
2. 9 or 9.5 psi pulleys are good with stock internals...i'm not sure about the 12 psi...some people here have it, maybe they will chime in
Old 03-01-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How many miles do you have on your ride chuy? If you are not ultimately concerned about your warranty (over 12 months, 12,000 miles) or your warranty (5yr, 60,000 mile) powertrain one is up within that time period, then have a shop do it. They will have more knowledge on installng it anyway im sure.

As far as mods, if you are taking it into the dealership, I highly recommend taking off your intake (you won't need it anyway). The header you could take off prior to installation; however after getting ur supercharger installed, you wouldn't be able to put it back on without taking off the supercharger, so leave it on. Some of those techs won't even know it's aftermarket, they'll just think u took the heat-shield off lol.

Finally, 9.5 psi is a safe way to add 20-30whp safely on the reflash. If you go with he 12 or 14/16psi pulley, i would advise you to go with a piggyback (Unichip) to run it safely. Also, you are climbing into the "upgrade your internals" department with anything over 10psi (just my opinion).

Additional mods you can add to your supercharger setup:

MMW Intake (+8-16whp) This will replace your current CAI

I'm currently working on a cooling system for our superchargers, so keep an eye out for that. Hope this helps!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bcnu_702
How many miles do you have on your ride chuy? If you are not ultimately concerned about your warranty (over 12 months, 12,000 miles) or your warranty (5yr, 60,000 mile) powertrain one is up within that time period, then have a shop do it. They will have more knowledge on installng it anyway im sure.

As far as mods, if you are taking it into the dealership, I highly recommend taking off your intake (you won't need it anyway). The header you could take off prior to installation; however after getting ur supercharger installed, you wouldn't be able to put it back on without taking off the supercharger, so leave it on. Some of those techs won't even know it's aftermarket, they'll just think u took the heat-shield off lol.

Finally, 9.5 psi is a safe way to add 20-30whp safely on the reflash. If you go with he 12 or 14/16psi pulley, i would advise you to go with a piggyback (Unichip) to run it safely. Also, you are climbing into the "upgrade your internals" department with anything over 10psi (just my opinion).

Additional mods you can add to your supercharger setup:

MMW Intake (+8-16whp) This will replace your current CAI

I'm currently working on a cooling system for our superchargers, so keep an eye out for that. Hope this helps!
Thanks! that really did help me consider some other options. I currently have the 3 year 30 something thousand mile warranty, and I only have like 8874 miles on it! AND I've had it for almost two years now!!! I drive it around my area a lot and don't go the distance with it AND I was gone for six months so I saved A LOT of miles that way. But yeh, I'm thinking of getting it later on and having my father install it if he thinks he can do it. Afterwards, I'll have my brother in-law use my emanage ultimate to work with the ECU so I can get the most out of my boost. After that, I'll get a 9.5 psi pulley since that's safer and just go from there!

I thought I could have the Injen intake with my supercharger? I saw pics of the K&N intake with it so I thought mine would work fine with it? If anything, I'll just convert it to SRI and maybe that'll help... as for the headers, my father shouldn't have a problem with it cuz I've seen tCs with the s/c and headers...

Can you guys believe the dealer was going to charge me $5500 installed????!!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the dealer put mine in for 485 dollars. couldn't pass that up
Old 03-01-2007, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the sri isnt a good idea, because the inside diamater is too small where the maf sits, it messes up your afr's. i have an alphawerks header, 9.5 pully and im gettin an s-pipe. with the mods i have now the only prob is my exhaust flow!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can get your CAI custom fitted
Old 03-01-2007, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it will fit, i had mine on for a good month, but the black exhaust build up on my stock exhaust tellin me that i was runnin a tad too rich. if you want crappy gas milage and a detonation risk than knock yourself out!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is there any way from preventing it? the reason im asking is because i purchased a used S/C and it didnt supply me with the stock high flow intake. detonation on the engine?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Blktc is right, some people have tried to put on a modified cai or sri on with the supercharger, and have had some problems. It is not a good idea. As far as I know, the only company that makes an intake suitable for the supercharger is mmw.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's not a good idea to do CAI or SRI without tuning it. you can run it safely if you tune. so far the only aftermarket s/c intake that i can think of to run without tuning is the WR s/c intake.

if you bring ur car to the dealership as is, they will take off ur intake and install it. but like everyone else said, ask them how they feel about your mods and such. their main concern will probably be the header. some dealerships/mechanics are cool about it but most arent. most dealerships charge an arm and leg to install it but some have pretty nice prices considering you are keeping the warranty (that is if they are cool with ur mods).
Old 03-02-2007, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as long as youre tuned with a piggyback the sri is ok, but on the trd flash youre gonna have a prob. the dealerships around vegas are pretty cool, they just installed my s/c without the sheild and i wrapped the header. they even offered to make the heat sheild fit my aftermarket header!
Old 03-02-2007, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So will the MMW S/C SRI work on the supercharger without tunning it and wihtout suffering the risk of a blown engine?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MMW says their intake doesnt require a tune. soo i'm guessing that implies that it wont blow up? personally, i wouldnt install an aftermarket intake with the s/c withouth tuning it..
Old 03-02-2007, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Noob questions: w/ tuning will that require me to purcahse a piggyback system? and how can i get my car tuned?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would suggest tuning after additions with the supercharger. It is better to be safe then sorry. Honestly, a tune MAY not be needed after adding a supercharger sri, however I think it is a good idea to cover your a$$ and your motor!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where will I be able to tune it, any local shop? Sorry for the NooB questions...
Old 03-02-2007, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wow, a lot of crappy info being flung around this thread...lets clear a few things up here:
1) As far as pulleys are concerned...9-9.5psi pulley wont require anything except the use of a shorter belt. If you want to run a 12 psi pulley, internals WILL NOT be needed....the only addition would be injectors to increase the fuel supply up near redline cause that is where you will start to lean out.
2)The use of an intake...Using an intake will not blow up your motor or cause severe damage...I was one of the first to do so with a K&N a long time ago and did so without any ill effects. It helped lean out the unbelievably rich TRD tune.
3) Tuning should be done AFTER installing of a pulley, not before. IF you tune before you install the pulley, then everything you just did was useless cause it needs to be re tuned to handle the extra boost.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) As far as pulleys are concerned...9-9.5psi pulley wont require anything except the use of a shorter belt. If you want to run a 12 psi pulley, internals WILL NOT be needed....the only addition would be injectors to increase the fuel supply up near redline cause that is where you will start to lean out.
I guess I just play it way too safe. I agree it is not needed. Guess I'm just a worry wart!

Quick Reply: TRD Supercharger on my MODDED tC