Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD Supercharger - Tamper Proof Bolt Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

Mine came with the regular style bolt and a TRD cap but the dealer told me they couldn't figure out how to put it on. They just handed it to me and told me not to worry about it since they would be doing all the warranty work anyways.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Banned
SL Member

they weren't able to put on the bolt? or the cap?
Old 08-05-2007, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

the cap. ...I woulda been ____ed if they couldn't put on the bolt.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Does this bolt come with the pulley preinstalled already on the shaft assembly of is that something toyota puts on when they are assembling the kit?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ur supposed to heat the cap with a heat gun or maybe a hairdryer until its kinda soft then snap it on.

as for the tamper proof bolt that looks alot like this wheel cap lock that i had on my old kmc wheels.

maybe u can find one at a wheel shop and see if it fits?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

The cap I got was too big to fit on the bolt, the inside edge wouldn't grab on to anything.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if everyone is so worried about warranty with their cars, why hasnt some one made a little larger crank pulley. I dont agree with the screwing the dealer with the warranty but a larger crank pulley will solve all of you problems. Leave stock SC pulley, replace crank pulley. Works like a charm.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ooorrrrrrr just be a man(or woman) and take responsibility for modding things. In other words dont worry about the cap unless you are stock. If you run a larger pulley or larger crank pulley (if you dont mind spinning everything else on the car faster as well... plus, if you have a larger pulley made with no damper.. well, we have had that discussion a million times) then just man up if it breaks and take responsibility like you should.

I know the poster before me wasnt saying to screw the dealer.. but many do (hence some shops actually selling the caps at one point). If you cant afford to fix it, dont screw with it to start with

And you can bet the day someone starts making a larger crank pulley, toyota will make a tamper proof setup for that. Its too bad companies have to chase around the unethical and spend money (that goes back into the price of our cars) on desiging around such nonsense.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shops were actually selling these things at one point??? how did they get ahold of those? i thought they were impossible to get from toyota.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think zpi had them at one pointk but dont quote me on that. I do remember someone looking for one and a vendor on here saying they had them for sale. Probably why they went to the bolt instead of a cap.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

engifineer - I couldn't agree with you more. I flat out told the dealer I didn't know how long I could hold out before I pulled the thing apart and starting modding it. He laughed, said he's the same way with his Vette and told me not to worry, unless they can 100% prove something I do is the direct cause of any failure it's covered no matter what. Then we had a brief conversation about kids who cheat the system and the MM Act and he handed me the bolt cap and the service reciept.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand where some of you are coming from regarding etchics but maybe TRD should practice the same virtue. The "original" TRD supercharger is/was a POS. They break with or without mods and TRD can be a "****" about it regardless. IMO they should've acknowledged it was a dodgy product via a recall as opposed to releasing an "updated version" that I'm supposedly getting as i have gone though "this and that" to have it replaced.
I'm not the first and I won't be the last to experience something like this. If you want the gory details, pm me.

Taking responsibility has been mentioned. It should apply to everybody. Its funny how TRD seems to be playing the fool as if they've never had to replace a supercharger before, especially to someone who has had it replaced by them in the past.

To GammaTNT, I would promptly return to the dealership and demand they put a cap on your pulley, otherwise down the road when you do have problems they most likely will not honor your warranty because there is no cap.

In summary, don't alter the stock configuration of your s/c'd car if you expect anything out of the warranty and even if you follow these precautions prepare to deal with some potential nonsense provided my TRD and/or the dealership. I have been lucky enough to deal with an outstanding dealership and its still been a PITA.
Thank you for your time.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

I got the no cap thing not voiding the warranty in writing from the installing dealer.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ dont worry - be happy. There are some dealers who honestly know nothing about the car and will try to make up some reason to void your warranty. keep reading this form and ask questions and you can tell them how it "didnt" void the warranty and you will be fine. Knowledge is key.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, a lot of dealerships try to dick people around and avoid having to fix a problem. The reason mine was replaced was because the housing with the bearings packed in it cracked, which had nothing to do with what I had done to the car. I just didnt get hassled about it because I have family at the dealership all my work is done at.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Oh, I dont in any way deny that dealerships screw people on warranty... however, it only feeds the fire when others do the same. IF the dealer had already screwed me on something else, yes, I would be more tempted to get something back on them. But other than that it is a matter of how I feel personally, and I dont cheat anyone that hasnt directly done something to me first to warrant it.
But be careful on the MM act and the SC. If you read the act carefully (at least from all understanding I have of it) they CAN state in the warranty that certain actions will void the warranty specifically and it will hold up. I believe that the TRD SC warranty itself states that tampering in any way at all with the SC voids its warranty, in which case the MM act doesnt get you anything. It still holds true for the rest of the cars warranty, but the SC itself would not be covered if you removed the cap.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, I understand that, but when what I had done had nothing to do with what broke I still feel they're responsible for it. I don't even know how long it was cracked for... I just noticed one day that it was leaking the smallest amount of oil... so I took a close look and saw where the crack originated. I feel if it's a flaw in casting/design they should be held responsible no matter what we do/modify on the s/c. Flaws in design are out of our hands, it's going to happen one way or another.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That is true.. but the warranty is agreed upon at the time of purchase, so "fair" or not, it is legal. Now, if it were my dealership, I would replace it warranty or not, but, you are dealing with a contract, so that is how it is handled. But, when it comes to leaks or cracks, there is argument that a smaller pulley can cause that simply because you are spinning the unit faster than it was designed for (thus creating more heat in the bearings), so there is that as well. Not saying that caused yours, but it is not out of the realm of sane to say that can cause it.

From the other point of view, I have seen similar things at my dads shop before. Kid comes in and has him replace his clutch. Car has fart can, intake, bald tires on front, rubber on the rocker panels, signs of over stress on the old clutch, stickers all over, etc. Dad replaces clutch. Kid comes back a week later with an shelled clutch crying warranty. Now, my dad is overly nice with this at times, but you have to draw a line. Everyone and thier dog knows the kid races (small town) and drives like a dumb@$$ fast n furious wannabe. There are more signs of racing on the car than a nascar event, etc, but the kid claims he was just driving normal and the clutch died. Good quality (he doesnt back or most of the time install any parts he doesnt order himself to ensure they are good quality parts) clutch, nice and blue with pieces missing out of it... but the car was driven "normal". So shops do see more than thier fair share of crap like this every day, which just makes the large dealerships more willing to refuse warranty to everyone.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

does this bolt come on the s/c? ....so that means no dealer has it? Anybody able to machine a key for it?
Old 08-11-2007, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We should be able to go to the dealer and sign off on something that says we waive the powertrain warranty in exchange for the bolt key. Especially if the car is getting close to the time/mileage limits of the warranty, that would just be fair to all parties.

Quick Reply: TRD Supercharger - Tamper Proof Bolt Info