Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD Supercharger - Tamper Proof Bolt Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I dont know but i wanna do that
Old 08-12-2007, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

bump
Old 08-12-2007, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
That is true.. but the warranty is agreed upon at the time of purchase, so "fair" or not, it is legal. Now, if it were my dealership, I would replace it warranty or not, but, you are dealing with a contract, so that is how it is handled. But, when it comes to leaks or cracks, there is argument that a smaller pulley can cause that simply because you are spinning the unit faster than it was designed for (thus creating more heat in the bearings), so there is that as well. Not saying that caused yours, but it is not out of the realm of sane to say that can cause it.

From the other point of view, I have seen similar things at my dads shop before. Kid comes in and has him replace his clutch. Car has fart can, intake, bald tires on front, rubber on the rocker panels, signs of over stress on the old clutch, stickers all over, etc. Dad replaces clutch. Kid comes back a week later with an shelled clutch crying warranty. Now, my dad is overly nice with this at times, but you have to draw a line. Everyone and thier dog knows the kid races (small town) and drives like a dumb@$$ fast n furious wannabe. There are more signs of racing on the car than a nascar event, etc, but the kid claims he was just driving normal and the clutch died. Good quality (he doesnt back or most of the time install any parts he doesnt order himself to ensure they are good quality parts) clutch, nice and blue with pieces missing out of it... but the car was driven "normal". So shops do see more than thier fair share of crap like this every day, which just makes the large dealerships more willing to refuse warranty to everyone.
I wasnt really worried about the waranty, My Uncle is the Parts Manager at the Dealership all my work is done at. He's worked there for 20+ years, they don't question him much/if at all. You're right though fair is fair, but in my situation they know my car at the dealership and don't care what's done to it, even the waranty manager, a friend of my uncles...
Old 08-12-2007, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
I dont know but i wanna do that
Ya that would be great and all but Dealership, Vortech, TRD all claim to not know about the bolt... WTF eh???
Old 08-12-2007, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

Oh, I dont in any way deny that dealerships screw people on warranty... however, it only feeds the fire when others do the same. IF the dealer had already screwed me on something else, yes, I would be more tempted to get something back on them. But other than that it is a matter of how I feel personally, and I dont cheat anyone that hasnt directly done something to me first to warrant it.
But be careful on the MM act and the SC. If you read the act carefully (at least from all understanding I have of it) they CAN state in the warranty that certain actions will void the warranty specifically and it will hold up. I believe that the TRD SC warranty itself states that tampering in any way at all with the SC voids its warranty, in which case the MM act doesnt get you anything. It still holds true for the rest of the cars warranty, but the SC itself would not be covered if you removed the cap.

I know a few deelers around here that would say putting a new belt on, even if it was the factory belt and you replaced it from wear and tear, would void the warranty on the entire engine then refuse to work on anything on that car
Old 08-12-2007, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

im not believing someone didnt machine a key - PM me if you did - i want that damn thing off
Old 08-12-2007, 03:17 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
Simply weld a nut onto and then put a socket on the but you welded on. A couple hits from an impact wrench and it will come right off.
My idea above still stands if you just want the bolt off. I have done it numerous times on bolts that were rounded off. Just get a nut that is a tad smaller than the bolt on the sueprcharger. weld it on, and put a socket on the nut you welded on. Take the bolt off.
Either use a differnt bolt when putting the new pulley on. Or put the tamper proof bolt back on with the nut on it. Then remove the nut from the bolt. Use a die grinder to remove the weld completely so it is still balanced.

I dont reccomend reusing the bolt because if there is damage from the weld, it will through off the balance.

But you dont seem worried about warranty, so just put a different bolt on.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaj2002
Oh, I dont in any way deny that dealerships screw people on warranty... however, it only feeds the fire when others do the same. IF the dealer had already screwed me on something else, yes, I would be more tempted to get something back on them. But other than that it is a matter of how I feel personally, and I dont cheat anyone that hasnt directly done something to me first to warrant it.
But be careful on the MM act and the SC. If you read the act carefully (at least from all understanding I have of it) they CAN state in the warranty that certain actions will void the warranty specifically and it will hold up. I believe that the TRD SC warranty itself states that tampering in any way at all with the SC voids its warranty, in which case the MM act doesnt get you anything. It still holds true for the rest of the cars warranty, but the SC itself would not be covered if you removed the cap.

I know a few deelers around here that would say putting a new belt on, even if it was the factory belt and you replaced it from wear and tear, would void the warranty on the entire engine then refuse to work on anything on that car
A simple call to an attorney would solve that.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

bump
Old 08-19-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I really need to know what the threads look like on this bolt. I can't take mine off till I know if the threads are odd or whatever - someone please come through with this info
Old 08-20-2007, 02:28 AM
Banned
SL Member

I really need to know what the threads look like on this bolt. I can't take mine off till I know if the threads are odd or whatever - someone please come through with this info
Have you ask Ken at trdsparks ? he might be able to help you out, another idea I don't know if it would work because I have never seen either in person but... have you ever seen that gator socket thingy, the one on those stupid tv commercials where the socket has a bunch of little rods in it and is supposed to take rounded nuts off and stuff. IMay be worth a shot and its pretty cheap too.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yea - ill have to see what sparks says - Those gator things are flimsy
Old 08-20-2007, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LoL, That was my first attempt at removing it guys... but sorry to say the pins are to big to grab onto the inside of the bolt.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha yeah i think gator grip sucks, but its still around apperantly because came out sooo long ago
Old 08-20-2007, 11:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC
LoL, That was my first attempt at removing it guys... but sorry to say the pins are to big to grab onto the inside of the bolt.
ahhhh - any other ideas?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brett
are you serious. TRD sucks!!! what a bunch of freakin ****'s.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Call a locksmith!
Old 08-24-2007, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

bump
Old 08-27-2007, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

bump
Old 08-28-2007, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure the Bolt Threads are still the same, just the Head is Different. The only thing I can think they might have done is reversed the threads direction??? I hope not.

Quick Reply: TRD Supercharger - Tamper Proof Bolt Info