Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD Supercharger - Tamper Proof Bolt Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

We actually last nite found on the MAC tools website that there is a tamper proof bolt set, so we shall see how that all turns out. Talk to Jwaggz me and him found it last nite.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I am waiting to see if the MAC rep can point me into the right direction to find out who can help in this matter. Hopefully this week I will get a callback/email - If not I will keep trying.

On a side note - if anybody wants to weld a small head to that bolt and take it off we will be far a head of the game. Knowing the torque to take it off and what the threads look like will go a long way in knowing what can be used for the future.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
just weld nut and take bolt off, go to any hardware store and replace bolt, I cant believe after all this time no one has done this easy fix.
My reason for not doing this is because i'd like to keep the bolt undamaged. At this point however, I'm actually considering leaving it be and shoping for a new car. I'm still determined to find out what this thing is though...
Old 09-03-2007, 06:03 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the mac tool box set are the torx plus

i was on that site last night....
Old 09-03-2007, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC
Originally Posted by Nick06tC
just weld nut and take bolt off, go to any hardware store and replace bolt, I cant believe after all this time no one has done this easy fix.
My reason for not doing this is because i'd like to keep the bolt undamaged. At this point however, I'm actually considering leaving it be and shoping for a new car. I'm still determined to find out what this thing is though...

The actual bolt is useless - once you take it off the paint wont match up on the bolt so nomatter what you wont have a warranty - but we all know that 9.5lbs wont mess anything up. F TRD and F their bolt.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now do you guys see the problem with using a Torx... the torx has protruding lobes with a hollow center... This bolt does not.
maybe if you had posted that clear pic earlier...
Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

lets not blame anybody - lets get the answer
Old 09-03-2007, 09:05 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jetlounge got you guys closer than you did before.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Are we that sure that 9.5 psi wont mess anything up? Nearly every post I have seen regarding oil leaks on the shaft was with someone running a smaller pulley. It is rpm, not boost that probably is the culprit.

But what matters is that toyota felt the kit should be limited at 6psi and that is what they are comfortable providing a warranty for. If you buy it, you buy the warranty and have no right to complain about them not covering someone else modifying their design. They design a system and as ANY good designer would, set its limits below some overhead value. If a given unit can run 9psi max, lets say, no engineer with a brain would recommend running it at that and providing a warranty. You always run a safe overhead value in a design, that is what builds in reliability. They for some reason or another felt that its stock setup should be its max (which is why they arent scooping up money selling smaller pullies themselves). Like it or not, that is smart design. The minute they put it out, people were changing it and some people were selling tamper proof caps so kids could perform warranty fraud. So how can you blame toyota for making it harder to change??? This is exactly why I come down on idiots who mod thier car, break it and try to get warranty coverage, it just makes the manufacturers ruin it for everyone.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

but, back to the bolt... I still recommend finding out what pitch the threads are and the direction they are threaded from a dealer or from trd sparks. Then simply find a bolt that matches with a standard head and replace it (And not care if you destroy the stock bolt getting it out). That way you can swap stuff whenever you want.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jetlounge
now do you guys see the problem with using a Torx... the torx has protruding lobes with a hollow center... This bolt does not.
maybe if you had posted that clear pic earlier...
I thought I did have one posted, but I guess I just forgot... Not trying to make it look like you miss-informed anybody. Sorry man.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well guys, I figured it out... Finally. Don't know if they will sell the Key to anybody though, but McGard is the manufacturer of the Security Bolt. It's part of their Intimidator Security Products line.

http://www.mcgard.com/security/intimidator.asp
Old 09-04-2007, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Well you guys seem pretty ____ed now dont you?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:48 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well guys, I figured it out... Finally. Don't know if they will sell the Key to anybody though, but McGard is the manufacturer of the Security Bolt. It's part of their Intimidator Security Products line.

how hte hell did you get on that site?

i tried getting into it the night that i was doing research for you guys but wouldn't let me
Old 09-04-2007, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Dang, nice work- (are you sure that's the key design?) Is the threading standard size? Or is it some wierd custom thread?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i found one place that sells the key.

im jumping through hoops trying to get it though.

who absolutely needs one?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:26 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw, this is a big maybe/if/but/what/or/so/idunno

=|

im waiting on a response. don't get your hopes up too high. if we get one maybe you guys can share?

i for one don't need it.....i'm turbo...i'm just helping you out.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etli

Dang, nice work- (are you sure that's the key design?) Is the threading standard size? Or is it some wierd custom thread?
Not sure of the threading, im assuming it the same as the Standard bolt that came with the previous s/c. This is the place that designed/made the bolt/key though. Getting them to sell it to us though might be a problem.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aen

how hte hell did you get on that site?

i tried getting into it the night that i was doing research for you guys but wouldn't let me
Dunno, works fine for me ... I had a feeling it was the company that makes the lug locks that made this, but I didnt know what their name was. I just contacted a Locksmith/Security Lock supplier and he gave me the answer. Now we just need to see if we can get a hold of this thing.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, guys- I was contacted by PM and referred to this thread.

If you didn't know, I'm also a Scion lover. I'm currently modding my 2nd xA.

I read the thread and I understand your situation. I have a legitimate business relationship with McGard, so here's what I can do.

I can't sell anyone the key for the TRD Supercharger Tamper-proof Bolt. It would be unethical, since I also sell security bolts, and I'm sure that McGard wouldn't let me order them for resale.

I do have limited access to McGard products, so I can get a key to unlock the supercharger pulley bolt.

For the local guys, maybe I can offer a "bolt change" service: Tamper-proof bolt removed, hex bolt installed and torqued - parts & labor $25. I'm not sure what to do about the out-of -town people, yet.

I hope this helps some of you guys. By the way, I won't be reinstalling the Tamper-proof bolts. That would also be unethical.

-Pete

Quick Reply: TRD Supercharger - Tamper Proof Bolt Info