Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD Supercharger or Turbocharger? help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member

Default TRD Supercharger or Turbocharger? help

well, as a christmas present to myself, i've decided on either the trd supercharger or a turbo kit for my tc. i don't know which way to go... i'd love to put in a turbo in my car, but i've been reading some of the old posts, and people have had some troubles with the turbos... plus, after spending an arm and leg on the turbo kit, i dun think i would have much to invest in other mods or repairs for a while... i'd like my car to last a while, how badly would the turbo affect the engine life? the supercharger? i'd love to have the bigger hp gain via the turbo, then again i wouldnt want excessive wear and tear to the car... any suggestions would be appreciated.

oh, and what turbo kits are suggested? i know that turbonetics has one, dezod, and zpi... which is best? thanks in advance for help.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am no expert so a lot of my knowledge is from what I read here and talking to people.

I am guessing you are having the kit installed by a dealer or a shop? well in that case everything should be good unless you will be running high hp numbers if you want to be on the safe side dont go above 250whp. Trd sc is very reliable since it gives such a small boost. I think if you want realiable go with either zpi 0 or trd sc Both run low boost levels and are good companies td is backed by warranty so you know you wont be spendign money on repairs even if somethign goes wrong.

Dont misunder dezod and stage 1 kits are all good quality just you are looking not to wear things down go with lower boost for now. Running 300 whp wont blow your engine but will wear down stuff like breaks clutch and so on faster (not good if you are limited on cash). Plus if you want to upgrade later to more boost you can easily do that by buying an intercooler for the turbo kit and getting a boost control and some ecu managment. and the sc you can upgrade later also when you get money with pullies and by then more things should be out.

So bottom line reliable power = stage 0 zpi, trd supercharge. Want more power later? you can easily increase boost on both.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you don't know much about force induction then get the supercharger, you have the dealership to do the dirty work when something goes wrong.

Only buy the turbo kit if you understand how an engine operate and how a turbo system operate. you must understand what is require to change from NA to FI.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i was in vito's tc today with the supercharger and the thing definitely is quick. very nice pick up compared to stock. i haven't been in a tc with a turbo, so i can't really compare the two. i just got my tc today and paid for the sc-can't wait to get the thing installed. i was smiling ear to ear just looking at the one in vito's car. also, the fact that if u get it dealer installed u get the 6yr/50k powertrain warranty is great. like godless said-if u aren't that familiar with FI, then the supercharger is def the way to go. If u increase the boost on the sc and when there are more companies putting parts out for it, the thing'll turn into a friggin beast. on top of all that, trd is a quality name and company who i'm sure have put in so many hours and tons of money into r&d.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup supercharger....wont void your warrenty.......
Old 12-14-2005, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

does anyone know if you can finance the supercharger?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope, gotta have $3200 downpayment up front.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by 2k5_tC
shoot me a pm if your interested in finding out how
Old 12-14-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Iam debating the same thing, I want the turbo well because its cheaper for more hp, however the sc is more reliable and easier to install - very tough, but iam a begineer so iam leaning towards the sc.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2k5_tC

You cannot finance the supercharger with the car from the dealership. If you finance with a local credit union or anyone other than TFS, it may be possible but could be rather difficult/hairy if your dealership is rather unwilling to work with you.

From the tC accessories manual:

THE COLD AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM AND/OR SUPERCHARGER ARE TO BE SOLD ONLY AS A DEALER INSTALLED OR OVER THE COUNTER OPTIONS, AFTER RETAIL SALE OF THE VEHICLE. THE INDUCTION SYSTEM AND/OR SUPERCHARGER MAY NOT BE SOLD TO THE CUSTOMER AT THE SAME TIME AS THE NEW VEHICLE AND MAY NOT BE FINANCED TOGETHER WITH THE NEW VEHICLE.

Sorry about the caps, but it is a stressed point from TRD. Also, I do not know why they would put 'and' as a possibility. The AEM CAI is not compatible with the Supercharger, and it would not be advisable to believe so and purchase both parts together. Only one of these induction parts can function at a time.

And, I believe, because it must be purchased after retail from the dealer, it is not an accessory option on scion.com when 'building your own' tC.

Steven
Old 12-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

SOME ONE TAKE ME FOR A RIDE IN THEIR BOOSTED TC! IM RITE OUTSIDE PHILLY!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by audiobahntc
SOME ONE TAKE ME FOR A RIDE IN THEIR BOOSTED TC! IM RITE OUTSIDE PHILLY!
Come to Western Pa (Clarion county)! I'll take you for a ride.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i live outside pottstown and reading i will give you a ride if you meet me. But i have a supercharger with boost pulley upgrade. Always looking tohelp a fellow TC owner out. Pm me if interested
Old 12-23-2005, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go with the TRD supercharger man. The sc with some basic bolt-ons like intake, exhaust, and pulley will give you a very quick and fun car to boost around town in
Old 12-23-2005, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With a TRD supercharger, what kind of potential are we looking at?

Say if we modded it with an upgraded pulley, exhaust, headers ect... could we reach even 350whp with the TRD supercharger?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I don't think you'd want to go above 250whp without upgrading some components in the engine, and tuning the fuel map. I've heard people say that the s/c is capable of about 19PSI, but we won't know for sure until someone tries. I'm waiting to see what ZPI and a few other companies can pull off on their s/c tC.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The trd supercharger is a vortex supercharger go to their website the sc is good for 20 psi. Now to achieve that number you need to have someone make you a combo of a pulley with a crank pulley nonstoptuning does this. They did a combo for munich so ask him if you are intersted so far on this webiste it seems like he is running th emost boost at 12psi.

nonstoptuning I believe can doa combo for 18 psi as well. So the possibility is there. Iam not quite sure what that would equal out to but if youare intersted in 350whp it is def possible with the sc however that much boost is no diff then a turbo upgraded internals are a must if you want that engine running for any good amount of time.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Typhoon
The trd supercharger is a vortex supercharger go to their website the sc is good for 20 psi. Now to achieve that number you need to have someone make you a combo of a pulley with a crank pulley nonstoptuning does this. They did a combo for munich so ask him if you are intersted so far on this webiste it seems like he is running th emost boost at 12psi.

nonstoptuning I believe can doa combo for 18 psi as well. So the possibility is there. Iam not quite sure what that would equal out to but if youare intersted in 350whp it is def possible with the sc however that much boost is no diff then a turbo upgraded internals are a must if you want that engine running for any good amount of time.
and about how much would these upgraded internals run for?
Old 12-27-2005, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hm now you are asking the wrong person turbocustomz zpi sciondad would be the people to answer that question. Kind of curious myself but as an example forged pistons with lower compression ratios from zpi cost 500 that would allow a few more lbs of boost as I understand, but what needs to be forged and how much it would cost and what it would allow are questions to be answered by more knowledgeble people.

If any of those people see this I would be instersted in the answer as well.