Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

trd supercharger upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default trd supercharger upgrading

if i get the trd supercharger, how much horsepower can i get from bolt-ons?
Old 12-05-2007, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

10-15 whp with header, s-pipe and exhaust, 21 whp with a 9.5 psi pulley.

you can do a cold air intake, but there is some risk of running lean for another 5-10 whp.

and a pretty good gain with some sort of piggyback ecu. and then there is water/meth injection. with these, i think you would make about 250 whp.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IT seems to me that if you're going to spend that kind of money on the TRD supercharger ($3000+), you may as well just go with a turbo kit that will do you better overall and provide a learning experience

Check out TurboToyotas, the owner just released a Stage 1 kit for $2500 base price, sounds nice and reliable too.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lean... running lean.. what is that means?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:11 AM

well all i got to say is even tho i overpaid someplace else for the trd super charger... it makes the car have a much different feel. i enjoy it... but it seems as if there is a bit of a lag @ 4000-4500. what is up with that...
Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm getting my '08 soon, and i'm sorta going through the same researching process

the only advantage the trd s/c has over the t/c kits is keeping the warranty

other than that, i'll go with a dezod turbo kit, their kits are awesome

good to know that the tC can make around 250whp with the s/c kit
Old 12-05-2007, 11:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ASHRAF
I'm getting my '08 soon, and i'm sorta going through the same researching process

the only advantage the trd s/c has over the t/c kits is keeping the warranty

other than that, i'll go with a dezod turbo kit, their kits are awesome

good to know that the tC can make around 250whp with the s/c kit
250whp is nowhere near a limit for the SC...

If you go with a good tune, BPV, Water/Meth, 10.5 lb pulley (If you are getting tuned, why not), and header/s-pipe/exhaust you shouldn't have any issue topping 250. Like Ive stated before, I still can not back this up with exact dyno numbers, because I haven't thrown my car on one yet, but when I do I will share.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Buck
250whp is nowhere near a limit for the SC...

If you go with a good tune, BPV, Water/Meth, 10.5 lb pulley (If you are getting tuned, why not), and header/s-pipe/exhaust you shouldn't have any issue topping 250. Like Ive stated before, I still can not back this up with exact dyno numbers, because I haven't thrown my car on one yet, but when I do I will share.
Thanks for the info Buck

I'll be waiting for some real figures before i know exactly which way i'm ganna go

anyways, these mods will cancell the factory warranty, so if i'm not keeping the factory warranty, why not go with a t/c kit

I know the s/c is more practicle and reliable than the t/c, but the t/c should give better response as I understand for less $$$

I'm pretty new to the forced induction thing, and I'm just trying to do my homework propperly before I even think seriously about boosting my tc (2B )
Old 12-05-2007, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

^ I thought about going turbo and then decided I wanted the warranty. Now that i have though, im gona blow it lol. I spent $2600 on the s/c with install and im gona get the aem FI/C with the harness and a good tune so that would be about $3600. I might get a 9.5lbs pulley and then get the tune which would bring the total cost to about $3600-700. Not too bad for 250+ whp
Old 12-05-2007, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's not bad at all for a 250+ whp, but would you be still keeping the warranty if you add the AEM FI/C and change the pulley + tuning the car?

and with the supercharger, can I use a normal inteke, headers, exhaust, and other engine mods, or do I have to get something special?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Nah, my warranty is gona dissapear as soon as I retune/swap pulleys. But we thats the risk we take for havin some fun. And yea, you can still run normal headers and intake on the s/c. Just if your gona get it retuned, wait till then to throw on the intake. Im gettin ready to put on my MMW Header and S-pipe along with an Ark DT-S exhaust so you'll be fine runin normal bolt ons. Just make sure the header is heat wrapped.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanx alot for the valuable info

i'm still trying to find out if i'm cancelling my warranty anyways, what's the best way to do it, as the reason of chosing the s/c over the t/c for me is no longer valid

the thing that makes me want the turbo more is the bov sound but what i'm finding out now is that i can have (i think it's a hybrid bpv) that makes the sound, i dunno how it works but i'm gna find out soon

i'm not really looking at really big numbers or anything, just having some more power and sth really different for me (never tried forced induction before)

thanx again for the information JPsTc
Old 12-05-2007, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

^No problem. There are a few people running the hybrid BOV instead of the BPV but it causes the engine to run lean I believe. If your not looking for huge numbers id go with the s/c. But if you want alot of power, and the BOV sound, go wit the turbo.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is running lean :D
Old 12-05-2007, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i talked to Snow Performance for Methanol Injection and the tC that they used had the s/c, stock pulley and bpv and exhaust and it made 230whp according to their Dyno sheet that they have online...The guy i spoke to also said that he recommended getting a piggyback tuner (such as greddy emanage) and also sed that tuning would yield an easy 10-15% more whp.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wo0oW, now that's some good news

easy 230whp, that's pretty good start

I still have to find someone local to do the work and give me some advice on the stages and stuff (anywhere in Houston,TX, as close as possible to Bellaire)
Old 12-05-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

^tuning is everything and the trd tune is very modest
Old 12-05-2007, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ASHRAF
what is running lean :D
Running lean is when your combustion chamber has a higher Air to Fuel ratio. If you are lean, you raise the temp inside the combustion chamber and exhaust gases. This higher temp can lead to mis-firing in the chamber causing predetination to occur. Basically running lean will lead to premature engine failure. Running rich is the oppostie. Its when you have a higher Fuel to Air ration. It is a cooler mix and is safer than running lean. Now running to rich will cause cylinder wash and cause other sorts of problems, but that I believe happens only in extremely rich conditions. I'm sure other experts can chime in better. But thats what those are in a nut-shell. :D
Old 12-05-2007, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I knew before that running lean is sth i don't wanna do

but now i know why

thanks alot jrodTC for the valuable info

so basically it's not advise to use hybrid BOV? so no BOV sound for the s/c if i want to do it propperly?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i want FI... but i want bov... but i cant spend 5 grand on turbo... 2500 is okay for an SC... but whatsup with the bov?

Quick Reply: trd supercharger upgrading