Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The Truth - 440cc Injectors @ 8PSI? Maybe 9PSI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
so a turbo at 9.5 psi vs. supercharger at 9.5psi flows more air even though they are at the same pressure? Err anyone care to explain why this is so? They work the same way hence I would assume 9.5psi is 9.5psi, but someone please enlighten me...
It's that not only does one flow more air than the other, but one also reaches the 9.5 psi sooner than the other.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cfm, boost/rpm,iat (thermodynamics), volumetric efficiency, bsfc....all play a part.
Read a corky bell book for good fundamentals on f/I.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so a turbo at 9.5 psi vs. supercharger at 9.5psi flows more air even though they are at the same pressure? Err anyone care to explain why this is so? They work the same way hence I would assume 9.5psi is 9.5psi, but someone please enlighten me...

its called volume over psi. its kinda like this you take a small sealed box and a much larger sealed box fill both at 9.5 psi at the same psi the larger box has a lot more air inside then the smaller box most turbos flow more volume per psi then our s/c
Old 11-16-2008, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by streettimetc

its called volume over psi. its kinda like this you take a small sealed box and a much larger sealed box fill both at 9.5 psi at the same psi the larger box has a lot more air inside then the smaller box most turbos flow more volume per psi then our s/c
ah ok thanks for the example, that clicked lol. Makes sense, thats why my supercharger doesn't sound like its going to swallow small children off the side of the road.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

No, they do not work the same way. Turbo is driven by exhaust gases from the engine, S/C'er is driven off of the belt/pulley system. Turbo produces greater CFM's over the S/C'er. Even the smallest turbo ran on the tC (which was the 16G I believe), out performs the S/Cer.

For a visual difference in power:

Turbo @ 7-8 PSI vs S/C'er @ 9.5 + bolt ons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNKaOD86wOE
Old 11-17-2008, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jetlounge
cfm, boost/rpm,iat (thermodynamics), volumetric efficiency, bsfc....all play a part.
Read a corky bell book for good fundamentals on f/I.
got the book, guess i have some reading to do. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

No, they do not work the same way. Turbo is driven by exhaust gases from the engine, S/C'er is driven off of the belt/pulley system. Turbo produces greater CFM's over the S/C'er. Even the smallest turbo ran on the tC (which was the 16G I believe), out performs the S/Cer.

rythmn just a side note... not trying to threadjack or anything... how is the S/C tC not murdering that Si??? thats How an Si takes on me after 90mph and im bone stock with a drop in knn filter. there has to be something wrong with the S/C tC (machine or driver)

thats how bad by turbo tC takes on my N/A tC... I wondered that bieng S/C'ed, he would've kept up, even if it was for 1-2 seconds
Old 11-17-2008, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionkidd

rythmn just a side note... not trying to threadjack or anything... how is the S/C tC not murdering that Si??? thats How an Si takes on me after 90mph and im bone stock with a drop in knn filter. there has to be something wrong with the S/C tC (machine or driver)

thats how bad by turbo tC takes on my N/A tC... I wondered that bieng S/C'ed, he would've kept up, even if it was for 1-2 seconds
Sounds about right, when i was 9.5psi with gutted stock header and catback I was dead even with rsx-s with i/h/e, actually at 90 he started to inch past me. From a dig though the t/c is faster. Si should murder a stock tc
Old 11-17-2008, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

but this tC in the video is S/C'd with goodies... and he's getting creamed just like a stock tC would.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but this tC in the video is S/C'd with goodies... and he's getting creamed just like a stock tC would.
the race between civic and tc is pretty close, tc gets creamed by t/c tc. You paying attention to the text in that video? lol
Old 11-17-2008, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

that shouldn't happen though... that Si was taking on the S/C tC like an Si takes on my N/A tC... that S/C'd tC should've been a lot faster imo
Old 11-17-2008, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The Si had I/H/E, so it's not like it was stock. That Si was probably putting 210-220 down, the tC was probably putting 220-230 down. Now think about the power band. When the tC shifts from 2nd to 3rd, it's only making about 150 right after the shift and won't make full power til redline. The Civic shifts directly into it's peak power band and holds this power to redline, and again in the next gear.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
The Si had I/H/E, so it's not like it was stock. That Si was probably putting 210-220 down, the tC was probably putting 220-230 down. Now think about the power band. When the tC shifts from 2nd to 3rd, it's only making about 150 right after the shift. The Civic shifts directly into it's peak power band.
you are right... I didn't even think about that. thanks
Old 11-17-2008, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EBAY EBAY EBAY EBAY
My car RUNS great!!!!!
Sux HATERS!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

had to be somtihng wrong with that tc my s/c tc would have smoked it i have header full 2.5 exhust no cats and lite crank pulley im running stock boost intake and stock tune and i pulled 3 cars on buddys 08 si stock from 55mph to 115mph and beat a type s by 1 car while i missed a gear we got it form a dig i pulled a 1/2 a car through 1st missed 2nd he pulled a car on me i grabed 2nd throught 2nd i pulled right next to him and then hit 3rd and pulled a car on him he was bone stock my best time at the track has been a 14.42 at 96.88 mph and a 60ft of 2.21
Old 11-17-2008, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

SI is not stock, it's full bolt-on. He only won by like a headlight. Now, I can give it a little to the fact that he should have beaten the SI, but his skill level was not that great at the time, and he had never really street raced. With that said though, giving the same mods and a better driver the outcome between his car and mine would have been no different. Still would have taken off that hard nonetheless.

I raced him again later in my Z when it was bone stock. We did about a 30 roll and his S/C'ed tC hung with me (and in some cases got a slight lead) all the way up to 100mph. Then the top end on the Z would over take him by a half a car to a car length.

We also have on video the S/C'ed tC (Rich is his name) vs Louis in the Stage 0 tC. Basic Bottom line Stage 0 running 6 PSI. Rich lost to him by a half a car......and that was with Rich + his girlfriend vs Louis with his Brother + Brothers wife in his car.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
The Si had I/H/E, so it's not like it was stock. That Si was probably putting 210-220 down, the tC was probably putting 220-230 down. Now think about the power band. When the tC shifts from 2nd to 3rd, it's only making about 150 right after the shift and won't make full power til redline. The Civic shifts directly into it's peak power band and holds this power to redline, and again in the next gear.

Yes, Rich put down 238whp. And yes, people often forget about PowerBands when you put cars vs cars and trying to see who "SHOULD" win. With better driving Rich would have won the majority of the racing between him and the SI. But people got the idea like he would pull on him or something, that's not the case. He most likely would win more now, but it would not be a straight up...pull on him.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by streettimetc
had to be somtihng wrong with that tc my s/c tc would have smoked it i have header full 2.5 exhust no cats and lite crank pulley im running stock boost intake and stock tune and i pulled 3 cars on buddys 08 si stock from 55mph to 115mph and beat a type s by 1 car while i missed a gear we got it form a dig i pulled a 1/2 a car through 1st missed 2nd he pulled a car on me i grabed 2nd throught 2nd i pulled right next to him and then hit 3rd and pulled a car on him he was bone stock my best time at the track has been a 14.42 at 96.88 mph and a 60ft of 2.21

You just guessing, or have you actually raced an I/H/E 06+ SI?

Just FYI....Stock Si's have been known to run 14.5 at the track.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

heres another question for you guys so i dont start my own thread and have you guys flame on me for not searching haha

5-7psi on a T3/T4 turbo with the SC'er 410cc injectors... what do you think? will i be ok? or should i go to a bigger injector?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I'd go bigger. The 410's will probably come close to maxing out on 7psi. If you're maxing them out, you'll lean out pretty hard if you hit a boost spike. I'd play it safe and try to never go over 80% duty cycle.

Besides, with 550cc's, you could turn up the boost and have more fun. 5-7psi is slow .

Quick Reply: The Truth - 440cc Injectors @ 8PSI? Maybe 9PSI?