Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Trying to Diagnose Performance/Efficiency Loss... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Trying to Diagnose Performance/Efficiency Loss... Help!

Hey Guys!

I'm concerned that there may be something going wrong in my setup. I have the Turbonetics Kit on my A/T. I had my car tuned a little over a month ago and I was pleased with the performance I gained and also it helped my fuel efficiency greatly, I was averaging about 19.5-21 MPG on each fillup.

The past couple times I have filled up my car, I am now averaging 13-15 MPG. I have also noticed a drop in performance and my car seems to be struggling sometimes, but other times it kicks ___ and seems to work like a charm.

I have noticed some oil residue in my engine bay as well as some oil splatter on my wastegate (probably coming from the downpipe flange). I am not sure if blown seals would cause these types of symptoms, any ideas?

My AFR's are pretty good and my vac gauge is reading proper levels. There are some spots where it runs pretty rich, but it always has, so I dont think I would be dumping that much fuel to constitute a 5MPG drop in efficiency.

Help! Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
drew
Old 11-25-2007, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Could I need a new Air Filter? That thing is probably pretty jacked up after driving around in the SoCal fires and all, I have heard that affects effeciency...

Sorry, I'm just thinkin...
Old 11-25-2007, 12:53 AM
Banned
SL Member

how long has it been since your last tune? maybe you need a re-tune?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by 2_much_tc
how long has it been since your last tune? maybe you need a re-tune?
2 months ago. I better not need a re-tune, haha.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you are leaking oil, then yeah, i would imagine that you have a bad seal somewhere. and what is your boost level?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
if you are leaking oil, then yeah, i would imagine that you have a bad seal somewhere. and what is your boost level?
Boost level is about 9-9.5PSI, that is what my eyeball can see... I have a Profec that I use only as a boost gauge and the peak states 9.7PSI.

I was thinking that the seal is probably bad, which is the cause of my stinky exhaust and the smoke coming out as well as the oil splatter on the wastegate... But would that cause diminished gas mileage?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pull off your intake pipe... check for any play (wiggle) with the shaft in the turbo or any oil in the intake pipe itself. How is your oil level?

This sounds like Turbonetics awesome seals (sarcasm) have gone buh bye. I have gone through 2 Turbonetics turbos already and am throwing my kit away before I have to deal with a third.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PlayinWithFire
pull off your intake pipe... check for any play (wiggle) with the shaft in the turbo or any oil in the intake pipe itself. How is your oil level?

This sounds like Turbonetics awesome seals (sarcasm) have gone buh bye. I have gone through 2 Turbonetics turbos already and am throwing my kit away before I have to deal with a third.
hehe I was going to say Turbonetics seal..
Old 11-25-2007, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I will do that first thing tomorrow morning. I'm sure there is some shaft play, this is nothing new to me, I just never noticed bad fuel economy, this is my 4th turbo from tnetics. I'm going to order a new AEM filter for the hell of it and see if that helps at all.

My oil level is pretty good, I recently did an oil change so... It's a lil bit above the full line. I put 4 quarts and then a couple drops just for the extra lines in the system.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also check ur DP for a crack right at the wastegate flange... I had a crack there and had a huge leak (I snapped the flange off with my bear hands) and lost a lot of power from it. Check that out too.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

also check ur DP for a crack right at the wastegate flange... I had a crack there and had a huge leak (I snapped the flange off with my bear hands) and lost a lot of power from it. Check that out too.
I have one of the new redesigned t-netics downpipes. the new slipfit one, works well, have had it one for a few thousand miles and it hasnt cracked yet thank god!
Old 11-25-2007, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check your plugs, if you've been through 4 turbos im assuming you've put some miles on them. They dont last forever, that could be affecting some performance aswell as fuel eco
Old 11-25-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by rozz-tC
check your plugs, if you've been through 4 turbos im assuming you've put some miles on them. They dont last forever, that could be affecting some performance aswell as fuel eco
Thanks, I will check all of the suggestions today, I should have some results up by this afternoon or evening.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Popped off the intake pipe a little while ago and there is a little oil residue, but not much at all. There is a little shaft play but not too much as well, it moves about 1/8th inch in both directions.

I will have to check the plugs tomorrow when I have access to more tools.

The AEM Air filter on there is pretty caked and dirty looking, anyone know if I can just clean it with water and let it dry out?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrHer0
Popped off the intake pipe a little while ago and there is a little oil residue, but not much at all. There is a little shaft play but not too much as well, it moves about 1/8th inch in both directions.

The AEM Air filter on there is pretty caked and dirty looking, anyone know if I can just clean it with water and let it dry out?
No you need to use the filter cleaner stuff from AEM and then let it dry. Plugs are a good think to check as well at this point especially if the plugs you have in there went through the tuning session. It doesn't sound like you have too much shaft play so the turbo should be fine.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Originally Posted by MrHer0

No you need to use the filter cleaner stuff from AEM and then let it dry. Plugs are a good think to check as well at this point especially if the plugs you have in there went through the tuning session. It doesn't sound like you have too much shaft play so the turbo should be fine.
Thanks, Just ordered some cleaner today. Anyone know if the dude over at Garage1217.com is still around? I ordered some stuff (including plugs) from that site and paid for it, but I can't get a hold of anyone by email or anything...