Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

trying to turbo my car need any help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:50 PM

Default trying to turbo my car need any help

i have been doing research about turboing my 09 tc. i would like any helpful tips about recomended part upgrades etc.

i will be running the dezod s1 kit.

i am planning on doing the dezod s1 kit with stage 4 clutc with steel braded lines.
9lb flywheel
1 step colder plugs
dezod turbo exhaust
digital aem boost guage and some 6 in 1 guage and oil temp guage

i haven't decided if i wanted the cated downpipe or regular. will i pass inspection without the cated downpipe and will i have and check engine light on without cated downpipe.

whats the average life out of a turbo'd tc?

any and all suggestions will help

i like in dallas tx area..
Old 09-22-2008, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Get a good tune. Have a "rainy day" fund for mishaps
Old 09-22-2008, 10:56 PM

Get an air/fuel gauge. I have the catted down pipe and its good.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

as long as you dont get a cel you will be good passing inspection.. So tuning will be a very important factor for you.. you dont have to have the catted dp, you can use an antifouler.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: trying to turbo my car need any help

Originally Posted by rapidredline
i have been doing research about turboing my 09 tc. i would like any helpful tips about recomended part upgrades etc.

i will be running the dezod s1 kit.

i am planning on doing the dezod s1 kit with stage 4 clutc with steel braded lines.
9lb flywheel
1 step colder plugs
dezod turbo exhaust
digital aem boost guage and some 6 in 1 guage and oil temp guage

i haven't decided if i wanted the cated downpipe or regular. will i pass inspection without the cated downpipe and will i have and check engine light on without cated downpipe.

whats the average life out of a turbo'd tc?

any and all suggestions will help

i like in dallas tx area..
You will more then likely get a check engine light from either the maf or the engine management... If you dont I would be surprised. As for the life of the car, that depends on how much power you are trying to achieve and how good a tune you put on the car and whether you choose to build the internals or not. I would stay away from the 9lbs flywheels because the clutch bolts tend to sheer off under continuous stress. Go with the chromoly flywheel which weighs in around 11lbs and much stronger then aluminum.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not every one throws a cel lots of people are cell less lol
Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 PM

No cel over here! 8.5 lb boost all day!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And now im am surprised... But I have never built a tc with less then a 10 lbs spring and as a result I typically get cels for system too rich bank one... Im guessing this is caused by runnin 10.0 for a sustained period of time in partial throttle.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would you dial it in so low thats way low on the afr and that will make the rich bank 1
Old 09-22-2008, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, thats a good question... I would prefer to have it closer to 11.8 but partial throttle tunin just using a piggy back is impossible. Im not sure what causes the car to come in so rich but im guessin it has something to do with the blow thru set ups we use along with size injectors we use... But to be honest, I'd rather it rich then lean. Most tCs wouldnt dare do partial throttle in boost over 10psi due to the inherent kaboom factor the stock ecu adds because of its necessity to achieve 14.5 af ratios.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:45 AM

well i am going to try between 8-9 psi. thats what i am shooting for and kenny tran from jotech will be installing and tunning my car. he is local to me. so out of the 2 flywheels dezod sells i hear i should get the 12lb. i am getting everything through dezod and i am trying to get any advise from anyone with a turbo tc. and as far as engine life i am not someone that will constantly get on it.. i have had my car almost 4 months and have 4300 miles on it. i work less than 4 miles from home and drive th gf's car everywhere else, but i will race it and get on it but not wrag it out for sure..and help or suggestions will help me out thanks.

also if i do not run the catted downpipe and just run the strait s pipe to dezod exhaust will that cause my cel to come on. i would rather not run the cated downpipe and get the extra power
Old 09-23-2008, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you get o2 fouler you should be ok... As for as the flywheel, that would be the one I'd use. The dezod s1 kit is a good kit out the box, and you should be fine with that, only addition I would make are add some 550cc injectors and a fuel pump, or at very minimum a fuel pump, and an engine management.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should look into the sound perfromance kit...call them up and talk to them....ind if u happen to buy it make some vids and post em lol...ive yet to see a sound performance video...the kit is awesome
Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by purevision01
Well, thats a good question... I would prefer to have it closer to 11.8 but partial throttle tunin just using a piggy back is impossible. Im not sure what causes the car to come in so rich but im guessin it has something to do with the blow thru set ups we use along with size injectors we use... But to be honest, I'd rather it rich then lean. Most tCs wouldnt dare do partial throttle in boost over 10psi due to the inherent kaboom factor the stock ecu adds because of its necessity to achieve 14.5 af ratios.
The proper piggy back would allow you to tune properly for the right partial throttle AFRS.

We did this two years ago with our private label "Black Box" unit. Now we offer the AEM FIC with harness, which allows for proper partial throttle tuning separate from the full throttle tune. I typically dial the cars I work on to about 11.5 and it works well.

To the question about longevity...

We have a customer with over 60k turbo miles on her car. She only recently had to replace a couple defective fuel injectors. She bought the kit when we sold RC injectors but have since upgraded to OEM grade injectors so this is no longer a problem. I personally raced my tC for over 25k turbo miles and had no problems with engine internals or overheating. My boost ranged from 8 to 11 and temps from the negatives (Boston, MA) to 120F (Phoenix, AZ). Proof that a good tune will take you a long way.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
Originally Posted by purevision01
The proper piggy back would allow you to tune properly for the right partial throttle AFRS.

We did this two years ago with our private label "Black Box" unit. Now we offer the AEM FIC with harness, which allows for proper partial throttle tuning separate from the full throttle tune. I typically dial the cars I work on to about 11.5 and it works well.

To the question about longevity...

We have a customer with over 60k turbo miles on her car. She only recently had to replace a couple defective fuel injectors. She bought the kit when we sold RC injectors but have since upgraded to OEM grade injectors so this is no longer a problem. I personally raced my tC for over 25k turbo miles and had no problems with engine internals or overheating. My boost ranged from 8 to 11 and temps from the negatives (Boston, MA) to 120F (Phoenix, AZ). Proof that a good tune will take you a long way.

We typically use the Greddy Ultimate on our setups, which to my knowledge doesnt maintain partial throttle tunes do to the adaptive stock ecu... I kno the FIC adjusts the output signals of the ecu to ensure a proper partial throttle tune... But how do you feel the two units compare to each other... Pros and cons as I have not yet had a chance to play with the FIC yet.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would say that the Emanage is easier to install and setup. Its methods of tuning are more straightforward, and I can generally make a good base map for it in about 5 minutes. The FIC however is slightly more complex. It can be buggy to setup and calibrate properly, which makes things inconsistent among multiple users. If you spend the time to dial in properly, and adjust it as you see fit, it can be a great unit.

I would suggest playing with one if you have a company car. It's honestly a good system to get familiar with, because I think the unit will come in handy as more cars become more complex. If you have an account with AEM I would hit them up for one. If not, let me know and I'll see what kind of special deal I can work out for you.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:04 PM
SL Member

Joe,

U still selling those Mishimoto radiators?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes.

You can purchase it here for $240 shipped while remaining supplies last.
http://shop.dezodwest.com/product.sc...&productId=508
Old 09-26-2008, 01:10 AM

any other advice befor droping 11k
Old 09-26-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

11k? thats a little to much for a turbo installed and tuned lol

Quick Reply: trying to turbo my car need any help