Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Tuning issues with emanage

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:46 AM
5 Year Member

Default Tuning issues with emanage

I was tuning a friend's scion using the provided emanage blue that came with the turbo kit and had serious issues with the emanage. He had 550cc injectors and i was using the airflow correction map to control the maf voltage. First off he didn't have the ignition control harness so i kinda tried to leave the afr's in the high 10's range in boost. Now i had an extremely hard time controlling any part throttle boost. Transitioning into boost was very hard to control at part throttle. Now I read the scion ecu takes control of everything under 80% throttle so i'm guessing thats where this problem comes from. So basically with emanage on a scion is part throttle boost transition gonna suck no matter what? Also the car wanted to run extremely lean in 1st and 2nd gear...like 13.5:1 range. 3rd gear i had tuned perfect and 4th gear just got about a half point richer than 3rd gear. Why is it going so muchleaner in lower gears than in higher gears? Is the ecu possibly seeing knock in the higher gears and dumping in fuel? Thanx for any help you guys can give. I'm used to tuning honda ecu's, but this emanage piggy back stuff sometimes makes things hard to control. I've tuned it on an automatic honda turbo before without any issues, but on the tc its not working out so hot. The basemap that came with the turbo kit ran even ____tier
Old 08-18-2006, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

From what you're saying about the base map it sounds like it's a GReddy turbo kit with 550cc injectors instead of the 440? Let us know which kit, it might help in solving the problem. I think the only kit's that have base maps with the emanage is the GReddy, Dezod, and ZPI. If it's a Dezod or ZPI kit they are on the boards all the time and will have no problems helping you out. If it's a GReddy kit there's a few people with it on here but not sure if they have the 550cc injectors. Anyway way let us know what kit cuz someone will be able to help you out.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do u have the pressure sensor to tune the emanage? if not you are going off of throttle position which will def hurt the off boost transtition. to be honest with you, i dont know why everybody says the emanage cant be tuned for partial throttle. i have mine tuned so u can hold at 30% throttle all the way to redline and afr will stay at 11.5:1. my only thing is i have a CEL for rich condition. i know everyone is say that the ecu learns and corrects but ive driven it for apout 1500miles with that tune on it and nothing has changed so i will let u know as time goes. an ecu reset every oil change isnt a huge inconvenience
Old 08-18-2006, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member

i'm not positive, but i think its a ZPI kit. Comes with an evo turbo, external gate, 550's, log manifold, etc. I can get the boost transition somewhat alright at part throttle in the high gears espescially after the rpms climb and it passes the initial tip in, but in the lower gears its rediculous. Everything is so much leaner in those gears for some reason.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member

alright yes after searching i'm positive its the ZPI kit
Old 08-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Banned
SL Member

Add the pressure sensor and harness, will let you tune the part throttle boosted zones.

Also, email Kenny the map (kstrickler@zeropointindustries.net) and he can look at it and make some suggestions.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member

I thought that only worked with the additional injection map and not the airflow map. Since you need to lean out the larger injectors the additional injection map shouldn't really be necessary. Unless the ecu controls stuff so much at part throttle that you cant keep it from going lean at certain areas even with the larger injectors.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member

does anybody have a sample map made with the pressure sensor so i can get an idea of how you'll are setting everything up using it? Also what about the leanness in low gears?
Old 08-18-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nester
Add the pressure sensor and harness, will let you tune the part throttle boosted zones.

Also, email Kenny the map (kstrickler@zeropointindustries.net) and he can look at it and make some suggestions.
was just bout to say the same thign about the harnesses sean...mine couldnt be tuned without em then i ended up maxing out my injectors then well everyone knows the story after that.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
I thought that only worked with the additional injection map and not the airflow map. Since you need to lean out the larger injectors the additional injection map shouldn't really be necessary. Unless the ecu controls stuff so much at part throttle that you cant keep it from going lean at certain areas even with the larger injectors.

Yeah, you'd need the injector harness. It's not for additional injectors, it's to control the injectors. It would allow you to add fuel in certain rows only when there's boost detected, rather than by a throttle postion or MAF voltage.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member

yea i know you can only add fuel with the harness. I was hoping that possibly the stock injectors were around 440-450cc's which i just read they are something like 370's because then i'd suggest to him to get the harness and we shouldn't really need the airflow map at all. That kinda setup works for some people running low power hondas with stock injectors, but imo it aint safe with that small of an injector, but upper 200's should be fine on something like 450's.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Banned
SL Member

yea i know you can only add fuel with the harness. I was hoping that possibly the stock injectors were around 440-450cc's which i just read they are something like 370's because then i'd suggest to him to get the harness and we shouldn't really need the airflow map at all. That kinda setup works for some people running low power hondas with stock injectors, but imo it aint safe with that small of an injector, but upper 200's should be fine on something like 450's.
Most stock NA cars don't come with 400+ cc injectors stock. ;)
Old 08-18-2006, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member

haha yea i know, but since its a 2.4l i thought there would be the slight chance.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member

bump anyone know whats going on with different gears?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Send me your map and ill check it out for you. Jlozada@cfl.rr.com

Jon
Old 08-20-2006, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as for ur different gears...

without a pressure sensor to tune off of, all the emanage has to "guess" how much load is on the engine is by tps (Throttel Position Sensor). so if you tune it in 2nd gear at 30% tps and 3000 rpm, ur building boost right? so u add the necessary fuel. now on the highway in 5th gear at 30%tps and 3000rpm ur just cruising not in boost. so that extra fuel u added isnt needed and now its PIG rich.

thats why its different with gears...get the pressure sensor and tune off that and u will likely get rid of ur problem
Old 08-20-2006, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, you'd need the injector harness. It's not for additional injectors, it's to control the injectors. It would allow you to add fuel in certain rows only when there's boost detected, rather than by a throttle postion or MAF voltage.
Since this is a ZPI kit, I'm assuming it's using their new drop in 550cc injectors. I was under the impression that you did not need the injector harness with these injectors. Could someone clear this up as I don't want to run into these same issues once I start tuning.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IAmTheProdigy

Since this is a ZPI kit, I'm assuming it's using their new drop in 550cc injectors. I was under the impression that you did not need the injector harness with these injectors. Could someone clear this up as I don't want to run into these same issues once I start tuning.
the harness is built in to the dezod emanage pnp. dezod has main, injector and ignition in their pnp harness. the injectors are drop in but u still have to control it somehow, thats when u need the emanage + the injector harness
Old 08-20-2006, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tikbhoy
Originally Posted by IAmTheProdigy

the harness is built in to the dezod emanage pnp. dezod has main, injector and ignition in their pnp harness. the injectors are drop in but u still have to control it somehow, thats when u need the emanage + the injector harness
Ah gotcha, I knew I was missin something. Thanks for the clarification. Now if only we could find a good deal on both the Emanage and harness, hmmmmm......
Old 08-20-2006, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try leaning the csr out pretty far in the middle range of Air flow map then compensate with the injector map. You have to lean out the MAF then over compensate with the injector map. This will allow the tranition to happen smoother. You can run these cars a little leaner at part throttle than a typical car due the the factory 5 volt 02 that pulls timing based on AFR not on knock. If this is your first time tuning a tC i would suggest getting a scan tool that can display timing in real time this will help with the off boost curve and keep the car safe.

As far as the AFR in the lower gears are you tuning this on the street? Is the car spinning tires? The AFR should stay consitent between gears. Also are you reading a TPS signal with the emanage?

Quick Reply: Tuning issues with emanage