Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Tuning school!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja
Originally Posted by ElevationTC
no offense to those who goto those schools! but everyone ive ever met that went to those schools was a complete tool! and hardly was educated to anything!

so maybe i just met a bad bunch! If so please inform me other wise!
No, you're right. In Santa Clara County (where I live), legitimate auto repair shops will not hire anyone from Wyotech or UTI.
First of all that isnt proving any point.

Did you go around asking every single auto repair shop that???

I am not gonna defend the tuning section because i dont know anyone whos graduated from that.

but i can defend the General automotive course because to become certified as a master tech in all of the areas you must pass each ASE certification Test. which is produced by the state of california.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Someone beat me to it the EFI101 looks good and sounds good after speaking with them on the phone. I plan on going after I quit Iraq.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ awesome tell us how it goes!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mrsanchez925
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja
Originally Posted by ElevationTC
no offense to those who goto those schools! but everyone ive ever met that went to those schools was a complete tool! and hardly was educated to anything!

so maybe i just met a bad bunch! If so please inform me other wise!
No, you're right. In Santa Clara County (where I live), legitimate auto repair shops will not hire anyone from Wyotech or UTI.
First of all that isnt proving any point.

Did you go around asking every single auto repair shop that???

I am not gonna defend the tuning section because i dont know anyone whos graduated from that.

but i can defend the General automotive course because to become certified as a master tech in all of the areas you must pass each ASE certification Test. which is produced by the state of california.
Not trying to hate or start anything, but having ASE certification's doesn't mean your a good tech. I work with a couple people that are Master Tech's and some of the things they do are scary, and I have only been a tech for a year.

That said, I wen't to my school because it was a sponsorship through GM (ASEP program, went to school for 8 weeks and worked on what I learned at a dealer for 10-12 weeks) and because I received an AAS (way better than a certificate imo).

I'll be watching this thread as I too want to be a tuner/builder etc. etc. and want to know where to go. I have heard of people being an AEM certified tuner, how do I become that? I am willing to pay because it will definitely pay for itself in the end.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Just do you know when I called and spoke to them I was informed they don't have AEM units to train on. They train on Motech he mentioned other systems but I forget the name of them. He informed me once you learn how to tune on a system like Motech it wouldn't be hard to firgure out the AEM its the same thing you just need to find the correct options and map to adjust.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yup basically all you need to do is grasp the concepts/principles.. it shouldnt take long to figure out different systems once you're good with tuning.. hydra offers tuning classes too but usually they are offered to dealers
Old 06-25-2009, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I forgot to mention I found out about the website and classes through AEM. I called AEM asking if I could pay them to come out and train me or if they offered any classes anywhere and he recommended the efi101.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

efi101 is the best place to go and learn all about efi tuning . Take the advance classes if you serious about it. Good Luch !! your going to have alot of fun in there..