Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo for an 07' Automatic tC HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turbo for an 07' Automatic tC HELP!!!

So I've been doing some research lately, mainly on a Turbo for my 07' tC. I've seen that there arn't many turbo's offered for an automatic tC, is this because it's a bad idea?

Also, I'm more into a cosmetic look for my car rather then alot of motor work. I'm not looking to race the car, and I don't want too much power that I can't handle. I'm really only looking for a 'deeper growl' when starting up the tC (I think stock sounds wussy, hah) but I don't want the "____ed off bumblebee" sound that most ricers have acheived. I also would like a little more 'umpff' so to speak. It seems now that when you press all the way down on the gas it takes it a second before it actually GOES. I don't want the lagging. lol

So what I'm guessing, is I need to look at a decent automatic turbo (Greddy or ZPI stage 0 kit, not sure which is better), a cold air intake (not sure what brand is decent) and a nice 'lower rumble sounding' exhaust for an automatic that will mix well with the sound of the turbo. I've read somewhere that the TRD CAI and the TRD exhaust offered through Scion mixes well.

I'm a girl and a complete n00b when it comes to under the hood. I'm willing to learn as much as I can!!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen that there arn't many turbo's offered for an automatic tC, is this because it's a bad idea?

Yes!! J/K. Actually, from what I've heard, all turbo kits for the 07s work on the automatics with little to no modification. Dezod and ZPI offer the heart warming "automatic" packages, but I believe they all work. You just need to get a transmission cooler and possibly the ZPI transmission upgrade. (It's about $1300 vs the $50 for the transmission cooler.)

As for actual kits, ZPI offers a stage 0 and stage 1 which are 'safe' on the stock tranny. The stage 1 will wreak havoc and cause the low gears to slip, so you'll want to fix that with their transmission upgrade. The Dezod S1 kit comes with a transmission cooler, and seems to be perfectly safe with just that.

The GReddy kit is out. You have an 07, and the MAF flange is totally different from the 05-06 kit. Well, I suppose if you wanted the GReddy kit, you could order the flange from Dezod or get a custom one made, and make it fit the 07, but for the money, the GReddy kit is probably the worst.

Best bang for the buck is ZPI Stage 0, if you don't mind running a stock EMS and injectors for a while with a CEL glaring at you.

I'm not sure what options the other guys have for autos, but you can always contact them and ask. Never be afraid to ask for modifications on a turbo kit. All they can do is say no, which is bad for business because that's ~$4-6k out of their pocket. :D

As for other performance upgrades, if you want a turbo, do not get an intake. Aside from the TRD Supercharger, there is no intake designed for a forced induction kit yet, mostly because they all come with one. Also don't get a header, because all the turbo kits so far come with a new exhaust manifold.

But if all you want is a growl, you can look at an exhaust. The Magnaflow, TRD, and Borla exhausts all sound low and grumbly, and a lot meaner than the stock muffler.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seems like you just want the sound and if you don't care about the power too much - I wouldn't recommend spending the money on turbo or s/c. It's just unnecessary. You can do a lot for the sound of your engine with intake and exhaust and save a bit over forced induction.

I don't think I'd recommend the TRD CAI (since there's no real reason to get it over the cheaper ones like Injen or AEM or something). I do like the sound of the TRD exhaust though (and actually should have one by the end of the week). But there are a lot of exhausts out there for the tC, so I'd suggest searching youtube or something for some videos and find one that you like a lot... There's also a thread of videos and sounds in the Drivetrain and Power forum...
Old 06-12-2007, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's so funny that this thread didn't immediatly get flammed just because she said it's a girl.
What shoud have been said was...
"If you think you can put an intake on a turbo, you need to do alot more reaseach. Putting on a turbo is not just a "bolt-on" experiense for makeing it sound nice"
Anywya, I agree 100% with ack154. You can get a really nice sound with an intake and exhaust, and it looks nice for shows as well. I think the Injen CAI and Exhaust sound really good together. But my buddy recently go the MMW short ram intake and it sounds pretty mean. They all give you a "little" extra oomph as well.

Or, you could go with the supercharger and still add intake and header.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Turbo for an 07' Automatic tC HELP!!!

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
I think it's so funny that this thread didn't immediatly get flammed just because she said it's a girl.
Why?

Originally Posted by tCvirus
I'm a girl and a complete n00b when it comes to under the hood. I'm willing to learn as much as I can!!
That's all she needed to say. We all started somewhere. Besides, even chicks need horsepower.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe I worded that incorectly.
Let me rephrase.
If this post had come up and it was NOT a girl, it would immediatly have been flamed. Or is that just me that get's flammed all the time?
Where is cybergypsy when you need her?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:23 PM
SL Member

since ur not gona be taking to the track, i suggest not going with turbo. and if u really want the power, i suggest the supercharger since ur car is a new 07. so u can keep ur waranty.

since u want good acceleration and sound, i suggest an intake, a nice exaust (injen or hks), and a lightweight crank pulley. that will make ur tc sound nice and go slightly faster
Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!! I think I'm going to hold off on the Turbo, maybe for good. I'll prolly stick with the Injen CAI and the TRD exhaust... and I'll definitely check out youtube.

So now I guess the only question is... for ME... Turbo or a Supercharge... ?

THANKS AGAIN!!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If you are sold on getting a turbo or a supercharger, yet you don't want "too much power" and you don't really know anything about under the hood, then go with the supercharger. That way, you can return your car to the dealership when you have issues. Maintaining your car properly with a turbo takes a lot of planning before-hand to minimize problems and a lot of work after install to make sure that nothing is going wrong.

Sure, as I have been turboed (on my auto) for a year now, I think it is worth it. But I also installed it myself and know my way around an engine bay.

If all you want is a little power gain, a better sounding car, then consider the duo of a CAI and Magnaflow cat back exhaust. You'll get a deeper sound, a little power gain and much less hassle and cost of maintenance.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Turbo will be very expensive compared to just an exhaust and intake.

I've turboed my auto tC - once you feel the power difference, you don't want to go back.