Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

is the turbo bad? just got it rebuilt...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default is the turbo bad? just got it rebuilt...

Okay, i first drove my car untuned with a turbo and accidently boosted the night i got it on. Car was smoking blue like crazy. There were signs of piston rings being fried. Low compression, oil coming out of oil cap, blue smoke from exhaust, etc.etc. So i took it to the performance shop and have them take a look at my car. They put the stock stuff back on my car first to see if its my engine that is the problem. The car stopped smoking. So we said its the turbo. I sent my turbo back to turbonetics for warrenty rebuilt. While i was waiting for my turbo to come back to me i was driving my car with the stock stuff on. Intake and headers. No sign of blue smoke came out of the exhaust, i was just running rich from the larger injectors. When we put the turbo back on and was ready to tune (same day) the car was smoking blue like crazy from the exhaust and same symptoms that i had before came up again. CFT realized that my piston rings are fried and they are being put in my car now. I also saw that there was little shaft play on my turbo already. is it possible that the turbo went bad after just one dyno run to get tuned? It was just rebuilt and balanced from turbonetics.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:48 PM
SL Member

Default Re: is the turbo bad? just got it rebuilt...

Originally Posted by turbo_tC4
Okay, i first drove my car untuned with a turbo and accidently boosted the night i got it on. Car was smoking blue like crazy. There were signs of piston rings being fried. Low compression, oil coming out of oil cap, blue smoke from exhaust, etc.etc. So i took it to the performance shop and have them take a look at my car. They put the stock stuff back on my car first to see if its my engine that is the problem. The car stopped smoking. So we said its the turbo. I sent my turbo back to turbonetics for warrenty rebuilt. While i was waiting for my turbo to come back to me i was driving my car with the stock stuff on. Intake and headers. No sign of blue smoke came out of the exhaust, i was just running rich from the larger injectors. When we put the turbo back on and was ready to tune (same day) the car was smoking blue like crazy from the exhaust and same symptoms that i had before came up again. CFT realized that my piston rings are fried and they are being put in my car now. I also saw that there was little shaft play on my turbo already. is it possible that the turbo went bad after just one dyno run to get tuned? It was just rebuilt and balanced from turbonetics.
well i have almost same problem... after high RPM punch there is lot of smokes coming out... im trying to find out the problem.. with my older set-up never hapen this
just started with new turbo.... might be a seal also.... good luck buddy and keep us updated ill do the same
Old 02-20-2009, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have a restrictor on your turbo? Make sure the oil drain has no kinks smooth downward flow to oil pan and the oil return fitting is above the oil level in the pan.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

blown turbo seal
Old 02-20-2009, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't go jumping to conclusions. The turbo will smoke the same if the correct size oil restrictor isn't used and/or oil drain isn't sufficient.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the oil seal was blown there would be a substantial amount of oil in the intercooler pipes... I would check the tune thats on the car... What size injectors are you running and what turbo kit?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: is the turbo bad? just got it rebuilt...

Originally Posted by turbo_tC4
def check the pipes for oil, but it is possible for the seals to push out, cracked ring means your oil pan was pressurized, so your turbo couldnt drain for the dyno run you did. same thing happened to me about a year ago.