Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo in a daily driver-- can I hit 300?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turbo in a daily driver-- can I hit 300?

300 looks like it might be a little high.

Am buying a used tC (50-70k) off craigslist as daily driver and now thinking about Turbo'ing it myself, to learn about engines and just for fun. Originally was planning on a nicer car, but I don't want to leverage too high on debt right out of college, even if I have a good paying job (I have some student loans). So I got all excited about having a 300hp G35c or something and had to give it up, only to realize "hey why not turbo the Scion I'm going to buy, that would be really fun."

I've been lurking around and noticed some people mentioning things like "go ahead and replace your clutch" and "better engine mounts"[or something?] for when you Turbo. So I'm wondering what extra parts I would need (how much?) and at what HP I'd need them so I could plan (or not) accordingly.

I'd love to hit 300hp, I think that would be great.
But if that's going to require replacing a lot of things that 250-275hp wouldn't...

And I'd like to be able to drive this oh...another 100k from whatever I buy it at. Is that crazy? My noobness may be showing. I imagine engine life would depend on boost...what should I stay below, and what would the trade off be?
http://www.turbokits.com/tC_turbo_kits.html
The Turbonetics says it will let you do 100+WHP safely on the stock engine. What PSI is that?

And last question, where should I go to put together my own Turbo (if I can do that for $2000 why spend $4000 on the Turbonetics).

So, cliffs:
1). What would I have to add/change in the engine, aside from the turbo, for it to give me 300hp? 275? 250?
2). Can I get that and have it be a daily driver? If not, and I want 275-300hp, what's the trade off in engine life, or how many miles could I drive it before lots of things start going wrong?
3). How to build my own turbo kit?

As you can see I'm completely new to this. All help appreciated.
I'm perusing the following threads so I'll be gleaning some info from them:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145739
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-forced-induction-1645/official-turbo-faq-electrical-guide-63570/

edit: just saw this-- "If you tune conservatively, adjust both WOT and partial throttle tunes, and stay on top of your oil changes, I wouldn’t be concerned with the motor at all."
Would this mean tuning conservative on the partial throttle, and aggressive on WOT for when I want it? What is "conservative" and "aggressive"?

Last edited by rancur3p1c; 03-10-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey there.. most kits will net you about the same power at around 8-9 psi. They all put down anywhere from 270-300whp. Even though that 10% spread seems like a lot, it's actually nothing considering all the variables between vehicles, exhaust setups, temps, etc.

Pick a company to purchase from based on their reputation and their customer service. If you think you'll be the type to constantly modify your car, look for a kit that offers good upgradability.

I have the T'netics kit but they've discontinued it. I find it to be a great starter kit - but at the time I didn't think I would mod as much as I am doing. PTuning and Dezod has some great kits out there - however I would probably lean more to the PTuning kit right now. Fit and finish seems stellar compared to others.

You should definitely consider upgrading your clutch. I would probably suggest in engine mounts although it's not necessary. Anyhow - good luck, I hope this forum ends up helping you out some.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im at 272whp on an dyno dynamics which is roughly ~302whp on any other dyno and well i have no issues its my daily
Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm running 325 right now @ 8psi and everything is all good for now that is ;)
Old 03-10-2010, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boostHerWay
I'm running 325 right now @ 8psi and everything is all good for now that is ;)
what is your setup?
Old 03-10-2010, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can easily get to those numbers.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chrischoi
What do I need to replace on top of the turbo kit to keep from frying my engine at 300hp?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Hey there.. most kits will net you about the same power at around 8-9 psi. They all put down anywhere from 270-300whp. Even though that 10% spread seems like a lot, it's actually nothing considering all the variables between vehicles, exhaust setups, temps, etc.

Pick a company to purchase from based on their reputation and their customer service. If you think you'll be the type to constantly modify your car, look for a kit that offers good upgradability.

I have the T'netics kit but they've discontinued it. I find it to be a great starter kit - but at the time I didn't think I would mod as much as I am doing. PTuning and Dezod has some great kits out there - however I would probably lean more to the PTuning kit right now. Fit and finish seems stellar compared to others.

You should definitely consider upgrading your clutch. I would probably suggest in engine mounts although it's not necessary. Anyhow - good luck, I hope this forum ends up helping you out some.

Don't forget Descendant Turbo Kit. I'm actually looking at that one. TRD Sparks has that turbo kit for the cheapest price I've seen so far.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by krazyliltc
Don't forget Descendant Turbo Kit. I'm actually looking at that one. TRD Sparks has that turbo kit for the cheapest price I've seen so far.
Shopping by price will have you on the side of the street.

I agree with Rob; while the Descendant system does work well, there are far fewer of them on the road and their road tested systems have not passed the same test of time that a DD would have to worry about that PTUNING and Dezod have.

With that being said and all things being equal I would not purchase a Dezod system again.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rancur3p1c
What do I need to replace on top of the turbo kit to keep from frying my engine at 300hp?
you wont really need anything besides the kits, except gauges. as long as the kit comes with larger injectors and fuel management (AEM fic, greddy ultimate, greddy blue) once you get it installed and running you will need to get it to a tuner to get it professionally tuned.

what type of budget are you thinking about? the turbo kit can run 3k-5k and the gauges are another $300 at least and the tune is anywhere from $300-$500
Old 03-10-2010, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I'm not too crazy about the Descendant kit.. I think for the price, they can offer a lot more quality parts. However to their defense, the've recently upgraded their kits to be externally wastegated.. which is a plus.

If I were buying a brand new kit right now, I would probably do PTuning.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Game-over (Bobby) is over the 300whp mark and I'm close to it and if we wanted to both could easily dd our cars.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:37 PM
SL Member

ptuning ftw
Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My daily driver made 355whp @ 12psi on a 100% STOCK motor & TRD Clutch...

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CujPR...layer_embedded
Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by chrischoi
x2
Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by athletefeet66
you wont really need anything besides the kits, except gauges. as long as the kit comes with larger injectors and fuel management (AEM fic, greddy ultimate, greddy blue) once you get it installed and running you will need to get it to a tuner to get it professionally tuned.

what type of budget are you thinking about? the turbo kit can run 3k-5k and the gauges are another $300 at least and the tune is anywhere from $300-$500
I mean it depends...If I can get 270+whp and drive it for another 70-80k, then no real budget-- just want to do it right. But if 270whp/300hp is going to take me from 70k to 110k and then that's it then I'm less inclined to go through with everything. Effective use of resources is what I really want. But I don't know the answer to these questions, you guys tell me...like if I can expect another 80k after turbo'ing it at 70k. 80k is a lot of miles, so maybe the engine mounts would be good, etc.

Per Rob's suggestion, I'll probably leave the stock clutch in until I master stick shift (I barely learned to drive stick in a rental in Great Britain when doing study abroad, on the left side of the road, left hand shifting not right, while learning what all the road signs and paint meant-- haha that was very scary). aka nervous about 1st gear on a bad incline.
Anyways after 100% comfortable replace with a better clutch.

Def going to get the electronic gauge(s). I like the idea of water injection but I don't know if that would be necessary for 300.

What is the max whp I could get if I wanted to drive 70-80k?

Last edited by rancur3p1c; 03-10-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rob_DESCENDANT
My daily driver made 355whp @ 12psi on a 100% STOCK motor & TRD Clutch...

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CujPR...layer_embedded

Nice....

I have to say I'm finding all this a lot more exciting than "turbo'ing" (overclocking) my computer.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do both.. both are exciting.. one a lot more than the other.. but at a premium price!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by rancur3p1c
Nice....

I have to say I'm finding all this a lot more exciting than "turbo'ing" (overclocking) my computer.
Werd! Doing both all day, every day.

300whp is EASY to attain and can be achieved with ANY of the kits out there and would just be a matter of tuning and boost. Each kit has their pros and cons. Everyone has their own opinion and you should formulate your own based upon what you need, what you want and what's in your budget. Simple as that.

Lastly, just remember that tuning and your role on how you stay up on the daily maintenance will determine ALL of the longevity and reliability of ANY kit on the market.

Originally Posted by ecko04
....passed the same test of time that a DD would have to worry about that PTUNING and Dezod have.
Been turboing Scions since 2005.

Last edited by paul_dezod; 03-10-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does insurance need to know about this? :D :D :D
What about emissions? State of GA.

Quick Reply: Turbo in a daily driver-- can I hit 300?