Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

is this a turbo kit..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I'm looking at about $5.5k-$6.0k when my TT Stage 1 V2.1 is done. This includes everything minus a clutch, flywheel, and internals. Gauges are expensive, I bought a AEM Wideband for 200 new from Todd (PPC and Browndogg's Defi Boost gauge and oil pressure gauge for 310. Turbo kits are not cheap by any means.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yet thats a stage 3....

S1 $3600
Equis gauges which have served me very well in all my cars
$97
AEM wide band $267.... yes I use Google shopping
Exedy clutch kit $487
the pod from glow shift $10
fuel pump 159
and that really all you need..... I think thats doing it right.... just because im not going with a stage 3, or a TEA kit doesn't mean im not doing it right... at 8.5lbs on stock everything ... i think your good.... no granted I'm not running that set up anymore but thats what I started out with... and thats well under th 5k mark....... ad in a good tune, some fluids, and you should be right around the 5k mark.... top of the line stuff doesn't make you faster it just makes you look a little better while doing it......
Old 08-05-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you are able to do most of the work yourself then there is no reason why you should be paying 8k on the turbo kit. For 8k you better have a beast.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^Thats what im trying to say
Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Why do you not understand that concept of between $5,000 and $8,000?

Even with the setup you just listed, with the cheapest parts possible, you're at $4700 for about 230whp, without a professional tune and a completely stock exhaust. How is that well under $5,000?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even if you get a Turbnetics kit which comes with a tune, you're looking at about $5000.

Tnetics kit - $3,995 (lowest price available - includes $350 gas card)
Boost gauge - $50
Wideband - $270
EGT - $170
3" or 2.5" Exhaust - $350 (custom from local shop)
Comp Clutch - $350
Flywheel - $300

That's $5,485 without a professional tune and installing everything yourself!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

And that's still not including all the odds and ends you'll spend, like on vacuum lines, wiring, tools, liquids, etc.

Oh and I don't know if the Tnet kit comes with an oil pan or not, but if it doesn't add on another $100.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
And that's still not including all the odds and ends you'll spend, like on vacuum lines, wiring, tools, liquids, etc.

Oh and I don't know if the Tnet kit comes with an oil pan or not, but if it doesn't add on another $100.
It doesn't - but it comes with a nifty tapping kit so you can tap your own pan. Their kit is pretty complete - also comes with synthetic oil.. lol.

But the point is - even with a complete kit, the costs can get really high - just as you said.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I would never tap my own pan without getting it welded lol. Hell, I would never tap the stock pan, I'd buy a spare one, like I did for my car. I got lucky though and found someone parting out a kit and managed to get a pre-tapped, welded pan for only $40 shipped :D.

But yeah, $8,000 isn't even that high. People mis-judge this stuff all the time. They see the kit at $3500 and think that's all it costs and that will net them 280-320whp. Only to find out that they ended up spending near double that to get less HP than originally hoped for.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by JL56TC
05-06 S/C are problematic, but relatively cheap.

A full turbo setup will cost around $5,000-$8,000, depending on how complete and well done everything is.
Actually tubo kits are cheeper than S/C there just a little more expensive to maintain. Well I think if your pain 5-8k for a turbo kit ur getting riped off. my DEZOD only cost me 5 and that was including 2 days on the dyno....

WTF kinda kit is this anyway... and just think some poor soel is going to buy this kit thinking there getyting a good deal.... Joe did you call them and ask them WTF there slandering your name for. thats BS
Actually, turbo kits are cheaper than S/C kits. They're just a little more expensive to maintain. I think if you're paying 5-8k for a turbo kit, you're getting ripped off. My Dezod kit only cost me 5k, and that was including 2 days on the dyno...

WTH kind of kit is this anyway?...and just think some poor soul is going to buy this kit thinking they're getting a good deal. Joe, did you call them and ask them why the hell they're slandering your name?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ come on man you didnt even post anything
Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree... people see 3600 and they think great and they forget about all the extras... im not saying 5k is outragous but I think that 8 deff is.......... CarbonXe buying a welded pan is not much better than a taped one... granted its a little more secure however if you get the right drill bit and the tap fits snug... you use good RTV(the same one you put the pan on with) its actually kinda slick.... its not a pressure line so it isnt really abused that badly... I think you spent $40 on a comodity item not something you abosolutly had to have
Old 08-05-2008, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I spent $40 on an extra oil pan. I'm not cutting, drilling or anything into stock parts of my car. I'm basically preparing myself to take the kit off in the future and not have to spend a dime on replacing cut/drilled parts. That's why I got an extra pan, that's why I routed my gauge wires like a retard, lol. As for the welded vs tapped, I'd just prefer it to be welded so I wouldn't have to worry about it eventually leaking. And even with it being welded, I'll still throw some RTV on it to really secure it.

Also, $8,000 is NOT outrageous. I don't know why you think it is. If you go back and read what I posted, you'll see that I said $5,000-$8,000 depending on how complete and well done everything is. Getting $30 autometer gauges isn't well done, running the stock clutch isn't complete, getting a megan exhaust isn't well done, using stock tires isn't complete, etc.
TBH, I should have said $5,000-$15,000, because I know a few people out there are nearing that $15,000 mark after internals labor and everything.

So let's do this again, but I'll go with a basic bolt on kit, completed and running reliably.
Basic kit - $2800
Full 3" exhaust - $500 (custom) ( I could have put $900 for the PTuning)
Gauges - $800 (All Defi/AEM + a perfectly fitted pod)
Clutch and flywheel - $1300 (installed professionally)
Fuel Management - $1000
Tune - $400
Oil + Filter - $60
Boost controller - $100
Tires - $500 (whether you want to count this or not, 250ft-lbs of torque isn't going to be friendly to your stockers)
Random oddities - $100

and that puts us right at $7560. Add in tax and shipping costs and you're right at the $8,000 price tag.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

8k is still alot. 800 on guages is just retarded, If you cant change your own clutch ......... 1300 ____ ill do your clutch. 5k you can walk away with somethine reliable, do some research and make some friends who know.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tainoxl
8k is still alot. 800 on guages is just retarded, If you cant change your own clutch ......... 1300 poop ill do your clutch. 5k you can walk away with somethine reliable, do some research and make some friends who know.

$1000 for engine management..... WTF..... thats the price of stand alone... yo mean to tell me you trough away your FIC/emanage and went and bought a stand alone right away.... your nuts bro...... and all the labor on your clutch kit.... I did myself... $400for an hour of tuning GTF out thats a rip.... not saying that tuning isn expensive bc I know it is... alll the stuff you listed are comodity items.... and btw top fuel guys use Autometer guages so you cant tell me there crap.... boost controller WTF why you dont need one for 8.5lbs, it a bolt on kit....800 for guages is outragous... its a guage its ment to monotor your stuff not make it go faster... if you do most of the work yourself even doing it your way you save tons of $$..... I cant see spending that much for your basic bolt on kit.... stock or not....... building your engine is way diffrent but your not going to get your firt time new car buyer, young adult spending that kinda $$$ just to turbo there car..

Edit= got the guage prices wrong
Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

800 on gauges is not retarded. 800 on gauges will get you top quality gauges. Spending $30 on an Autometer piece of crap is retarded. Also, most people don't have the time or tools to deal with a clutch and flywheel installation.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with JL regarding the Autometer gauges.. I trust them completely.

$1000 for fuel management - I think he's including FIC ($400), Harness ($250), and Injectors ($350). Remember he started his reply with a TT simple kit which doesn't include any of that.

$1300 is a tad much for clutch, flywheel, and labor. I just purchased a new set for about $600 and was quoted $400 for labor.. so he's about $300 off there.

A good tune WILL cost MORE than $400. Most dyno shops will charge you about $150-$200 per hour on for tuning on the dyno. That doesn't mean you just use their dyno - they have a professional tuning your ECU. Try having a well tuned ECU in both Closed and Open loop for less than $400.. good luck with that. Ask Tony and Todd how long it took them to tune Meaty's car. Ask PTuning how long it took for them to tune their car - and they didn't even tune partial throttle boost.

$100 for a boost controller is average - a cheap one you can make for $15 and an electric boost controller can cost up to $700.. But still you don't necessarily need one to start with.

I thought the tires remark was a little much... No one changes their tires just because they went turbo. People change their tires because they drive like buttholes.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

800 on gauges is not retarded. 800 on gauges will get you top quality gauges. Spending $30 on an Autometer piece of crap is retarded. Also, most people don't have the time or tools to deal with a clutch and flywheel installation.
lol.. Autometer is NOT pieces of crap. They're very reputable and are being used in every major racing circuit known. 3,000hp dragsters rely on them.. how are they crap?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by JL56TC
Originally Posted by tainoxl
8k is still alot. 800 on guages is just retarded, If you cant change your own clutch ......... 1300 poop ill do your clutch. 5k you can walk away with somethine reliable, do some research and make some friends who know.

$1000 for engine management..... WTF..... thats the price of stand alone... yo mean to tell me you trough away your FIC/emanage and went and bought a stand alone right away.... your nuts bro...... and all the labor on your clutch kit.... I did myself... $400for an hour of tuning GTF out thats a rip.... not saying that tuning isn expensive bc I know it is... alll the stuff you listed are comodity items.... and btw top fuel guys use Autometer guages so you cant tell me there crap.... boost controller WTF why you dont need one for 8.5lbs, it a bolt on kit....800 for guages is outragous... its a guage its ment to monotor your stuff not make it go faster... if you do most of the work yourself even doing it your way you save tons of $$..... I cant see spending that much for your basic bolt on kit.... stock or not....... building your engine is way diffrent but your not going to get your firt time new car buyer, young adult spending that kinda $$$ just to turbo there car..

Edit= got the guage prices wrong
Fuel management = F/IC or E-Blue + Injectors + harness.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
lol.. Autometer is NOT pieces of crap. They're very reputable and are being used in every major racing circuit known. 3,000hp dragsters rely on them.. how are they crap?
I have literally seen them fall apart in front of my eyes. I will NEVER use Autometer.

Quick Reply: is this a turbo kit..