Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

"Turbo Kit" BUILD **Updates PG40**

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ippskidder
Originally Posted by j3st3r
Are you guys using the 2.5 or the 2.6?
I'm using 2.5r12
mine too.. i think its your huge injectors that cause idling issues.. you guys try to hit up yamaha or guru and see if their idle are good.. they have big injectors too
Old 08-19-2008, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
mine too.. i think its your huge injectors that cause idling issues.. you guys try to hit up yamaha or guru and see if their idle are good.. they have big injectors too
I bought my turbo kit from guru a long time ago, lol. So did yamaha.

We have the same kit, except I think yamaha changed his turbo a few months ago, and has 650/660 cc injectors. Not sure which.

I used to think the 800cc injectors were the main cause of my idling issues.

But after finding out j3st3r has 1400cc injectors (omg!! lol), and he can idle properly. I believe its just a tuning issue i'm having.

So i'm still waiting on some info from him ^^
Old 08-19-2008, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ j3st3r dont have idling issues? oops my bad.. so its just the leaning out problem for him?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

^^ j3st3r dont have idling issues? oops my bad.. so its just the leaning out problem for him?
Yea I believe his lean AFR woes, are just when he is crusing, and when hes in boost.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by j3st3r
There is also no CEL, and I have cleared any OBDII codes that were in the ECU. I am pretty sure the problem is in the map......at least that is where I hope it lies. My concern with this whole incident however is if inconsistency is now going to be a common thing. I know it will change some depending on the weather, but I am not going to be happy having to live with a car that is fine one day, and then all of the sudden tune is off. Obviously if a situation arises, such as the isolaters/orings, then it will be addressed...but I really thought those would have fixed this issue/
so the cel never came back? i clear mine like once a day and in a few seconds I get 3 codes instantly and im using all the stock O2 sensor and the maf.. thats good though

Anyweiz there might be a lot of small details that needs to be configured with this standalone to get a perfect and consistent tune.. I dont think 3 or 4 hrs on the dyno is enough as what it does it mostly tune the fuel and ignition at that given condition.. I too thought getting this standalone and after one tune it would run like F/I from factory and be very consistent but no, we might be able to get it very close though after sometime of playing with it lol.. coolant trim, air temp trim and all those stuff should be set up too..
Old 08-19-2008, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

so the cel never came back? i clear mine like once a day and in a few seconds I get 3 codes instantly and im using all the stock O2 sensor and the maf.. thats good though

Anyweiz there might be a lot of small details that needs to be configured with this standalone to get a perfect and consistent tune.. I dont think 3 or 4 hrs on the dyno is enough as what it does it mostly tune the fuel and ignition at that given condition.. I too thought getting this standalone and after one tune it would run like F/I from factory and be very consistent but no, we might be able to get it very close though after sometime of playing with it lol.. coolant trim, air temp trim and all those stuff should be set up too..
Yea I don't think 3 or 4 hrs is enough, lol.

Idle and boosted area are the most important during the tune.

Crusing is as well, but others take precedence.

Tuning while in vacuum takes the longest, and is the hardest from what i've gathered. Its basically a pita, lol. Since AFR fluctuations while in vacuum are more easily noticed. For example you'll get a jerkiness motion of the car, lol.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm my car drives like a factory boosted car. my afr's are alil rich though i need to take time and mess with some shyt and i don't see why i can idle from a 13.5 to idle at 14.5-15.3 . all tuning has been done by me and only me. i had a base map but the fuel map looked like a spikey moutain. now its sloped like a rain arch. anyway good luck guys.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Well usually when the car turns on, theres a couple of maps that add on to the base map for a few minutes.

Post Enrichment is one of them, forgot the others. So that might explain why you have a start idle of 13.5, then lean out to 14.5-15.3.

Thats a big difference in afr though from 14.5-15.3 I wonder if your PID values need to be finely tuned, because it might be idle hunting, and covering lots of cells on the AFR map.

After the car temp is stabilized. It stays at whatever the basemap is.

My fuel map looks kinda spikey in the boost area at the moment, lol. Jumps to like 9-9.5 afr. My bro hasn't lent me his laptop as often as i'd like. The minute I get my hands on it. I'll be able to play around with it again. At least i'm not knocking =D
Old 08-19-2008, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL yea i havent' seen knock yet which is a plus. But my timing is weak i thought the adjustment table was true timing and its only %'s i thought i brought it up to 20degs and its only at 13 or 14. I've built most of my map on the home PC then transfered to the car. As soon as you can smooth out the entire fuel map it will be hella easy for fuel adjustments trust me after i smoothed it out it took me only 2 pulls on the street to get AFR's at a perfect 11.3afr. Now all i have to do is figuer out how to tune vvti to make nice powa then go to a dyno and tune the car on q16
Old 08-20-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikescion
LOL yea i havent' seen knock yet which is a plus. But my timing is weak i thought the adjustment table was true timing and its only %'s i thought i brought it up to 20degs and its only at 13 or 14. I've built most of my map on the home PC then transfered to the car. As soon as you can smooth out the entire fuel map it will be hella easy for fuel adjustments trust me after i smoothed it out it took me only 2 pulls on the street to get AFR's at a perfect 11.3afr. Now all i have to do is figuer out how to tune vvti to make nice powa then go to a dyno and tune the car on q16
AFR is easy to tune with a wideband and some knowledge, wait for a dyno to tune the VVTI or you could be hurting your power.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

The cam map, is under 3d pwm. Then look for something that says vvt or something along those lines.

As far as how to tune it. I'm not quite sure. Not very good instructions in the manual about this map.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

hey guys, how's you first gear tune? my 1st gear really feels heavy and sluggish and loud lol, i thinks its too rich but once it get to second it way better.. just so different
Old 08-21-2008, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

My 1st gear feels like crap, lol.
2nd is ok.
3rd and 4th I leaned out yesterday. Its around 12-12.5 now.

Boosted area, I was able to lean out as well. Well at bit at least, lol.
Its not in the 9's anymore. Its in the 10's. Feels more torquey!!!! =D

I spent most of my time cleaning up wiring, tie wrapping, soldering, heat wrapping. Also, i'm almost done installing my turbo timer.

Then I have to put the front strut back on, and a few other things. Then I can get back to tuning.....

It never ends, LMAO!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

My 1st gear feels like crap, lol.
2nd is ok.
3rd and 4th I leaned out yesterday. Its around 12-12.5 now.

Boosted area, I was able to lean out as well. Well at bit at least, lol.
Its not in the 9's anymore. Its in the 10's. Feels more torquey!!!! =D

I spent most of my time cleaning up wiring, tie wrapping, soldering, heat wrapping. Also, i'm almost done installing my turbo timer.

Then I have to put the front strut back on, and a few other things. Then I can get back to tuning.....

It never ends, LMAO!
1st gear is/was a little rough for me too. Well I have been trying to get a copy of the map that the tuner used when car was dynoed, and that it was on when I got it back.....BUT AS USUAL have had no luck in getting any help, or support from him. Since I had the headlights out anyway building my own Halos, I went ahead and took all the intercooler piping off and am sending them off to get coated. I figure while I have things apart I can redo some lines, and clean up some things. I am hoping then the week after next to get back on the tune. Maybe by then I will get a response to my requests from tuner.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Oh I forgot to mention. I was trying to tune the idle. I made it really rich, really lean, played around with timing.

I can't get the fker to idle right, lmao.

I think I woke up half the neighborhood =D

Who tuned your car j3st3r? Did they have a hard time getting it to idle right?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Oh I forgot to mention. I was trying to tune the idle. I made it really rich, really lean, played around with timing.

I can't get the fker to idle right, lmao.

I think I woke up half the neighborhood =D

Who tuned your car j3st3r? Did they have a hard time getting it to idle right?
I know it was a challenge with the size of injectors that are in it, but he got it to idle great, never had a problem with the idle at all, except for when the air was on, but I fixed that in the map......and the tuner....hmm....it was turbochargers.com(Kenny)....I know, I know....dont get started on a tangent now, it was a matter of making the situation right, and he seems to be able to tune a car, all the other stuff aside.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I've looked at a couple of people's maps. But they have smaller injectors than mine. So I copied the timing, and tried to adjust the fuel to match their afr.

Its definitely not working out for me, lol.

I'm starting to wonder if its the post start enrichment map....

But even after the air/coolant temps are settled. It still shuts off when the rpms dip below 900rpms, blah.

I hope after I get this resolved, the hydra is all its cut out to be, lol.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

J3st3r, we have the same tuner but didnt you upload and save your original map before you edited? i do think the guy can tune, i just dont get wtf is wrong with my car.. you are tuned 555hp but mine only got 230 hp/240 tq at 10 psi on a gt30 lol

but yeah my 1st gear is sluggish and goes too rich after 4.5K rpm, once i get my new laptop and gonna start on datalogging and see whats going on.. i've been changing my tune offline which is a pita.. my idle is fine and never stalls but i have some weird afrs issues that i blame on my wrong AIT readings, lol it never ends
Old 08-22-2008, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

J3st3r, we have the same tuner but didnt you upload and save your original map before you edited? i do think the guy can tune, i just dont get wtf is wrong with my car.. you are tuned 555hp but mine only got 230 hp/240 tq at 10 psi on a gt30 lol

but yeah my 1st gear is sluggish and goes too rich after 4.5K rpm, once i get my new laptop and gonna start on datalogging and see whats going on.. i've been changing my tune offline which is a pita.. my idle is fine and never stalls but i have some weird afrs issues that i blame on my wrong AIT readings, lol it never ends
That number seems a bit off.

At 10psi you should be much closer to 300whp.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Well what you could do. Is go to your Air Temp Trim and zero it out, for now.

Just remember what the values are, since you're already running rich, it shouldn't cause any problems.

It'll also help you get the base fuel map dialed in better.

Quick Reply: "Turbo Kit" BUILD **Updates PG40**