Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

"Turbo Kit" BUILD **Updates PG40**

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Old 10-02-2008, 11:38 PM
SL Member

Default Re: "Turbo Kit" BUILD **Updates PG32...555whp.**

Originally Posted by j3st3r
So after hanging around Kenny, and Travis for a several weeks now it was obviously time to make my car UNIQUE once again! It was time....for BOOST. Ok so I talked with Kenny and the crew at ZPI and we decided on a "turbo kit".... ok that might be a mild understatement. By the way if have not had the pleasure of talking to.......well anyone over at ZPI, you should stop by there shop sometime, you wont find a better group of people, or company for that matter! Top notch ppl producing and tuning top notch products!

Here are some current progress pictures of "the turbo" kit:

Teardown

Some of the new "turbo kit" parts:

We needed some Gauges!

OH and we had to make sure this "turbo kit"....was UNIQUE!!!

MUCH MORE COMING SOON!!
I want your tc lol
Old 10-02-2008, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im pretty sure we all do lmaoo.. who doesnt want a 500+ whp tc.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my pipes looked way better then thouse lol so take that lol
Old 10-03-2008, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

^^your car doesnt have a motor under the hood! take that! haha
Old 10-03-2008, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ROFL
Old 10-04-2008, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

lmao
Old 11-11-2008, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Well thought it was time for an update on the "Unicorn" Finally got the car tuned and running GREAT. I will say this before hand....Lethal Injection Motorsports in Alpharetta, GA....IS THE $hit!!

So here we go.
This all started on October 3rd

October 3rd
Well I have been working with Hydra for a couple hours now to get the car running, I am really hoping to have it done for show tomorrow. I sent Hydra all my maps, and he(Andrew) called me back and said that none of the maps I have are even for a tC......WTF.....SO...I am waiting for Kenny to send me maps so I can get them to Hydra. Once we get one should not take long to get running....I HOPE....

OH...and for those that were at the Import Alliance event may have remembered I was leaking transmission fluid out of vent....well found out why

This is how much extra fluid was in the transmission...minus whatever I leaked that day.

So I grabbed the Ratio Rite to find out how much...

First Pour.....18+oz

Second Pour 14oz

SO....transmission had at LEAST 32oz(1 qt) more fluid in it then it should have...no wonder it was leaking....or blowing out the vent.

Still same day

Originally Posted by scionteammember
That makes sense. How the hell could Kenny send you maps that aren't even for the tC?
I have not idea...I now....OF COURSE...I am waiting for his ___ to get me at least one map..and then I can move forward. He told me yesterday he had 21 maps for the car....WHY IN THE F#$K does he not just send them to me. So Andrew, is waiting for me to send the map to him, and I am sitting here trying to contact anyone I can to get the maps off Kennys laptop....It is just stupid.

Lets see...I did my part....Hydra did their part....but...guess who did not do their part.....so not only am I waiting now, but now we have Hydra waiting on his him...
Old 11-11-2008, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

October 18th
Finally fed up with Kenny's BS decided to take the car down to Lethal Injection, was going to take it to Ptuning...but they were 10hours away so...

The trip to Lethal Injection yesterday for the most part was a good one. I was very impressed by pretty much everyone/everything there. The people were very friendly and were obviously very knowledgeable. The guys have more actual REAL, Skylines, GTR's and 240'a than I have ever seen in my life!! Their tuner Roy really seemed to really know what he was doing, he had never worked with the Hydra before, and I pretty much booted my laptop up, and left it on the passenger seat with the car on the dyno. Before we knew it, he had the car fired up, and had the car idling pretty well! Roy had the car running pretty good, but....he kept getting communication errors in the Hydra software, so he would have to save his map, restart the Hydra and go again. This happened most of the day, but to his credit he just kept at it, and as I said he had the car running/sounding pretty damn good. Later in the day we left for lunch and Roy was still plugging away....however when we got back Roy said the car would not start. He was in the middle of doing a run, and got a runtime error in the software, and then the software, and apparently the Hydra crashed. After that the car would get fuel but the plugs were not firing. So it looks like something in the Hydra flaked out, which would explain why he was having troubles all day with it. He was having troubles earlier in the day were he would have the car running good, then the software would crash, and he would go back in and load the exact same map that he had the car running good on, but the car would run totally different.

So.....we left the car at Lethal, and they are going to get with Hydra and probably send the box back and have it either replaced or fixed. Second we noticed later in the day that the car seemed to be smoking constantly, which like Preston, and Travis' cars seems to indicate blown turbo seal...since this is a Turbonetics turbo however it is warrantied so we are going to send that back to Turbonetics and have it replaced, also Derek, the shop owner is going to make sure there is a restriction in the oil feed line so that if it is a seal that it wont happen again. Third thing we are going to do is to reduce the size of injectors, Roy was struggling with getting the off idle throttle response dialed in, and it was because of the injector size. So will probably be going down to like 750cc injectors.

Even after the issues that came up I feel very good about what came of the visit, all the guys from the shop were awesome, and the treated us GREAT. I will post up some videos in a bit.

Some Pictures Here:
http://www.musiccityscions.com/forum...read.php?t=951

Full Gallery Here:
http://www.musiccityscions.com/photoplog/index.php?c=21

BIG thanks to Matt, and his grandpa for letting me use the trailer....the thing worked GREAT!!!! Also thanks to Brandon for riding along, and keeping us company, I know 3am came pretty early!

ALSO....have to give the biggest thanks to all to Roe, my wife for going with, and being a trooper on this whole deal. You have always been there, and been so supportive(I know it cant be easy)...and I am so glad!!

....Oh yeah...forgot to add this little tid bit....but the "base map" that I got from Kenny....well when we asked Roy, the tuner from Lethal Injection, how that map was.....he looked at Brandon and I....rolled his eyes...and said..."worthless". So basically he created the map for my car from scratch!!

October 21st
Talked to Hydra yesterday, and we think we might have found the reasons for the communications errors, so Lethal is checking things out, and they were hoping maybe to have it done this weekend.

October 23rd
Got a call from Lethal Injection today, and it appears that the fix Hydra had for us worked! Roy has the car back up and running, said it idles even better than it did before. He also said it looks like I don't need to change injectors, he has the off idle problem fixed! This evening they were going to pull the down pipe off the turbo to see if the turbo seal is indeed blown. It is looking like Saturday they are going to go about fully tuning the car. This was at least some fairly good news!!!

That does sound like good news B. Sorry I didn't get a chance to get over and get those serial/product #'s off the 750's, but looks like everything is going good with the current ones. So, the Hydra itself was bad...that sucks, but glad it's getting squared away.
No there was nothing wrong with the Hydra(at least at this point), it was the version of software that was being used to tune it. I was told by....well you know..that I should use the 2.5r12 version of the software, however when I contacted, and told him what was going on, Andrew, from Hydra, said that my Hydra was a 2.5r15 unit, which means that we needed to be using the 2.5r15 software to tune with. One of the changes that were made with the new(2.5r15) software was the communications protocol, so when we were getting communications errors(using the previous version of software), that could have explained it. So what that probably meant was that all the changes that were made in the old software, plus the communications errors were corrupting the maps, and it was only a matter of time before it completely corrupted the map. It also looks like the map Kenny tried to fix, and sent me was made with a different version too, so that is probably were it started getting corrupted. Luckily Andrew at Hydra was able to get the appropriate base map for my unit. Have to say that Andrew from Hydra has been great to work with, and there customer support has been right on! So basically Roy, from Lethal Injection had to start all over with the base map, and the correct version of the software, and then tweak it all over again.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Glad to see things are working out. You shouldn't be puzzled on why he's not sending the maps. He just does those kind of stupid things. He's an a$$ and glad he's not part of the build anymore. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
Glad to see things are working out. You shouldn't be puzzled on why he's not sending the maps. He just does those kind of stupid things. He's an a$$ and glad he's not part of the build anymore. Good luck!
Oh wait...there is more....

October 26th

Well got status tonight, and it has been really good news so far!!

1) 1200cc injectors were bad..period, they tested them and tuner was getting frustrated thought it was the Hydra, turned out to be injectors. They put 550cc injectors in the car and the car is running great! The injectors that are in it will be good to 450hp. Previous tuner had turned the fuel pressure up to 70 trying to compensate for the 1 injectors that were not working. The fuel pressure is now at 40 running good.

2) For some reason there were 2 springs inside my wastegate...everyone was trying to figure this out....but anyway they replaced the wastegate spring and that is good!

3) Turbo is not bad, they put a restrictor in the feed line and that cleaned up the smoking issue.

4) Manual boost controller is junk basically, the boost does not hold up to redline, so we are switching that out the the one I originally had.. the profec b

5) In looking at the dyno graphs that I have from the car, they do not believe that the graphs are actually from my car, in tuning the car, and going through everything they think the graphs are from a different vehicle, like a Supra, or an EVO. At this point I do not doubt it, with the things that Lethal is finding and fixing, it is making a lot of sense. They looked at the graphs and stated that it looks like they are from a car that has more displacement than the 2.4L, even if it is a built motor.

6) On the mustang dyno, the car made 328 @ 15psi, well kind of 15psi, the car would make 15psi at 4k, but then the manual boost controller would not hold it, so at redline it was back down to 8psi. So with all of that I am not too disappointed, they said the car is running great, and they have a few other tweaks they want to make for the cold start conditions to make it bullet proof. At this point it was up to me as to what kind of numbers I was looking for, so I told them that on the mustang dyno, with the new boost controller that I would like to be in the 350-360 range, and they see no problem with that.(as you noticed I pulled the 555whp off the title of this thread as I do not believe the car made that much, and I am not one to say it did when I cant confirm it)

7) They did full leak down and compression test, and all is good with the motor

They said that I could plan on coming and getting the car thurs or friday, and they will have it completely done!!

I have been nothing but impressed with these guys...they called me tonight, on a Sunday to give me the status, and let me know everything that was going on. They also told me that they had documented everything, and have all the graphs and charts to show everything that had happened, ane what they found.

October 27th
Car is DONE!! Just got a call from them and the car made 360.2whp and 334tq.....however....they were having an issue because the turbo would not make over the 15psi of boost.....well while we were on the phone the guys found out that the BOV was not wired/plumbed right...so the BOV was actually opening up under load(which was ____ing me off because I would never get a good blow off).....WTF.....so...they fixed that while on the phone and said the car made even more power....but he said the car is ready to go and pulls something fierce!!

October 28th

Nice B. What do those numbers translate to on a dyno jet? How much did it make after the BOV fix?
After the BOV was fixed the car made 371.5whp....from what I have been reading the difference between the dynojet, and Mustang is approx 11.8% So on a dynojet it would be like...412ish. From what I understand about the dyno's though the Mustang dyno gives you a more real world number though, as it has many more variable, and sensors it takes into account. It also does not free wheel the drum, and uses the cars weight, tire size, etc, for its calculations. He is sending over some of the dyno graphs tonight so I will post them! I am totally happy with the number it is making...I told them that 360-400, and it did just that, and it sounds like it is doing it running well!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

November 1st

Well we made it home!!! I will post all of the details later...but I have to post this one real quick....So we saw gas for 1.98, and I decided I could not pass that up....I still had a half of a tank left since the fill up in Georgia, so I went 189.9 miles on half tank!! So I put 7.97 gallons in.....bottom line.....close to 400whp car....getting 24mpg!!! So am I happy with the car.....HELL YEAH I am.....does Lethal know what they are doing....HELL YEAH they do!!

Videos posted soon....including an encounter with a nice black EVO on the way home!!

November 2nd

Took the car to the track, was an autox run on the Nashville Superspeedway time attack track.

The car ran FLAWLESS, no hiccups or issues......other than NO TRACTION!!

ALSO...wanted to throw this in there....when I got home I decided to check the suspension....just to see what settings it was on. I have the Tein SSP coilovers with EDFC, so the driver side was setup to have negative camber(cool)....then I go over to the passenger side and it was setup with FULL POSITIVE CAMBER......so if I was running a damn NASCAR event I would be fine.......another great tribute to you know how....(K-MAN)

Final Thoughts
For those in the South East region looking for a tuner...I would HIGHLY recommend Lethal Injection Motorsports. These guys are GREAT. Two of the people have called me about 5 different times since I got the car home to see how everything is going, and make sure I am still happy! My car now runs fantastic...I am totally happy and excited again about the car, this winter we will probably tear the motor down just to see if the previous tuners....stupidity has done any damage to the rings or cylinder walls.....and for me to verify that the parts he said are in there, are actually in the motor, also want to re-paint my block since once again the previous tuner did a half a$$ job of painting it.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Couple of pictures from the show we went to this past Sunday!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lookin good B!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good to see all the bugs finally worked out! car looks great man
Old 11-11-2008, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

good to hear man! nice vid!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by java09
good to hear man! nice vid!
thx...I am going to do an in car video similar to what you did, one showing 1st through 5th....I kid you not the car spins the tires in 4th, and feels like it wants to in 5th. Totally happy with the power the car makes, next step will be to get the LSD installed! The low setting on the boost controller is 12psi, and the high is 15, they showed me on the dyno graph, the difference between the 12 and 15 is 40whp!!

Here is the dyno chart before they fixed the BOV issue....these motors are torque monsters!

http://www.musiccityscions.com/pdfs/...rs%2015psi.pdf
Old 11-11-2008, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

<---- Registered for Music City Scions too see full gallery!

Great Car!
and
Congrats man!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by Complication
<---- Registered for Music City Scions too see full gallery!

Great Car!
and
Congrats man!
Hey big thanks to you man...you are the one that contacted me to begin with, and as Derek said...its tough to take your baby to someone you don't know...but you guys have restored my faith in shops. Tell the whole crew there BIG THANKS, and I will be praising the shop every chance I get!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i need LSD too!! cant wait at autoX they call me rev limit! haha

Quick Reply: "Turbo Kit" BUILD **Updates PG40**