Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo kit or Supercharger kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Turbo kit or Supercharger kit?

Hey everyone. I have been doing alot of research on Turbo kits and Supercharger kits for my manual '05 TC and I'm still pondering on what I should get. There are Pros and Cons for both. From what I've read, Superchargers for the TC seem to be more reliable but are going to put out a bit less power. As for the turbo kits, they seem to pack alot of power but also require alot of time and effort to maintain them. I have the money to buy either the Supercharger or an entry level Turbo kit. What should I do?? Opinions and suggestions from all of you will help me out in a big way.

Thanks,
Jacked
Old 03-20-2009, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

op no offense but its obvious you have not searched a lot. enter this question into the search button and you will come up with like 500 different threads on the same topic.

on another note, the supercharger is getting discontinued however most would tell you to stay away from it anyways. The stock supercharger does not yield a lot of power and had many issues even trying to get them covered under warranty. The only way to make it fast is another pulley which cuts your warranty and defeats the purpose of the supercharger all together.

A turbo kit can be made fairly reliable. a turbo kit on 7psi with a conservative tune can make 250 whp. obviously my opinion is if you have the money turbo it. if you dont have the money, save a little more and then turbo it haha!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo kit is the way too go. TRD has discontinued the supercharger
Old 03-20-2009, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yeah no more trd s/c, turbo ftw!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

s/c has almost no reliability at all!

the shaft made of butter the bearings are failing...

i would go with turbo any day. OR if you dont want the pain with the turbo i would buy a used s/c for 1 grand and rebuild it ( new shaft new bearings and it will be better than when it was stock!
plus a nice 11psi pulley and you are good to go for 210-220 hp
Old 03-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by youngflyer
op no offense but its obvious you have not searched a lot. enter this question into the search button and you will come up with like 500 different threads on the same topic.

on another note, the supercharger is getting discontinued however most would tell you to stay away from it anyways. The stock supercharger does not yield a lot of power and had many issues even trying to get them covered under warranty. The only way to make it fast is another pulley which cuts your warranty and defeats the purpose of the supercharger all together.

A turbo kit can be made fairly reliable. a turbo kit on 7psi with a conservative tune can make 250 whp. obviously my opinion is if you have the money turbo it. if you dont have the money, save a little more and then turbo it haha!
I know that the Supercharger is being discontinued. I can still get a brand new one due to my buddies dad owning a Toyota/Scion dealership.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

if you want it go for it while still available, just dont expect to have warranty from it anymore..
Old 03-20-2009, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

who cares about the price or availability, its a useless piece of junk
Old 03-20-2009, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

allow me to help you out...

Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM
SL Member

SEARCH!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by mattTc
SEARCH!
no need, already answered

Originally Posted by brett561tc
allow me to help you out...

Old 03-20-2009, 04:57 PM
SL Member

^ that shti is dustirbing lol
Old 03-20-2009, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

lol yeah
Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbocharging a car is the way to go if do it correctly, and buy the correct parts. It will require more maintenance, however it is well worth it. The supercharger will provide no where near as much power as a turbocharger. I have had both, and have had so much more pleasure with the turbocharger. And instead of just switching pulleys, or adding air cooling configurations, turbos possibilities are endless. The trd supercharger is a great step for the aftermarket oem community, however not worth the price in my opinion.

Look into getting a kit, or if you want to save some money, piece it together. Just know what components you need and who your tuner in your area will be.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by raptorsp123
Turbocharging a car is the way to go if do it correctly, and buy the correct parts. It will require more maintenance, however it is well worth it. The supercharger will provide no where near as much power as a turbocharger. I have had both, and have had so much more pleasure with the turbocharger. And instead of just switching pulleys, or adding air cooling configurations, turbos possibilities are endless. The trd supercharger is a great step for the aftermarket oem community, however not worth the price in my opinion.

Look into getting a kit, or if you want to save some money, piece it together. Just know what components you need and who your tuner in your area will be.
I have a very good tuner around here. Also I think I'm going to buy the Zpi stage 0 kit. Someone I know has one brand new, never used. I will buy an intercooler for it and later on I'll get the injectors and e-manage.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like the right decision. Just make sure, in the case you need additional parts, or if something breaks, that you have to find them. i.e. Turbo manifold has problems, must be replaced with a similar turbo manifold to match the wastegate, dump, and downpipe.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by raptorsp123

I have to agree turbo is best way to make great and reliable power, as long as you keep the boost levels to what your enegine can handle.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned
SL Member

I decided to go supercharged since I founf one for 1700.00 brand new,
Old 03-21-2009, 04:17 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jacked21
I decided to go supercharged since I founf one for 1700.00 brand new,
lol, I bet in about 1 month another thread going to be coming my s/c shaft and bearings are gone lol gl with it a friend of mine went through 5.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha you come on here and ask our opinion, you get great feedback and then turn around and not listen to it...you fail lol

Quick Reply: Turbo kit or Supercharger kit?