Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

turbo maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default turbo maintenance

so i'm newly boosted and wanted to know just some daily/weekly maintenance things i should do...i installed this myself, so gettin dirty is not bad.....also, whats the amount of oil i should be putting in the engine (qts?).....any tips would be good! also, anybody take the stage 0, and run higher boost? and what electronic boost controller are you using? and lastly any upgrades i need to be running like 1-2 more psi? thanks everybody!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You don't need to, and should not, put any more oil in that regular factory specs. But, what you should do is change your oil more often, especially when its first boosted, think of it as a brand new engine, you have to break it in all over again, to get used to having boost. It'll be hard, but you should try to drive 500-1000mi w/o going above 0vac/boost to allow everything to mesh together (i'd assume you upgraded your clutch, fuel assy, etc). With my old cars, every time I boosted them, I would change the oil every every 500mi for the first 2 times, then every 1000mi for 3 more times, then i'd go back to 3000mi like normal, but take it easy for the first oil changes, make sure you check your oil levels often too, that last thing you need is to be short on oil in your boosted engine, not fun. As for a boost controller, depending on your budget, i'd say either a Greddy Profec-B (cheaper side of electronic boost controllers) or if you want bling and got the extra cash, you could get an Apexi AVCR (way over kill though). As far as 1-2 extra PSI, I don't know anything about tC motors, so I don't know what they can handle, that and I also dont know how much boost your running currently.

Also, if you havent upgraded your factory clutch assy, I would highly recommend it, the stock clutch prolly wont hold up too long to getting beat up with boost. That and you will notice a lot more power making it to the wheels with a better clutch (get a lighter flywheel while your at it). Having a turbo car is easy, just make sure you watch everything very closely, things can (but dont have to) break very quickly if you dont catch problems right away. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but the the stage0 doesnt have an intercooler? If you got an intercooler, and bigger injectors, you could probably squeeze a few more lbs of boost.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo Timer also not a bad idea
Old 01-30-2007, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: turbo maintenance

Originally Posted by malibuboy54
so i'm newly boosted and wanted to know just some daily/weekly maintenance things i should do...i installed this myself, so gettin dirty is not bad.....also, whats the amount of oil i should be putting in the engine (qts?).....any tips would be good! also, anybody take the stage 0, and run higher boost? and what electronic boost controller are you using? and lastly any upgrades i need to be running like 1-2 more psi? thanks everybody!

Change over to Synthetic if you haven't done so. Royal Purple is top of the line, that's what I'm running in my girls car now. As stated before, you will need to break in the motor with the turbo on it, so take it easy for some couple thousand miles, and then you can play around with it. I change our oil more frequently that I would normally, but other than that, I maintain it like it was factory. Nothing ABSOLUTELY extra HAS to be done to insure reliability beside frequent oil changes. You should see more PSI with a couple of other additions to the Stage 0 kit. For example, the following mods could possibly produce an extra PSI or two.

Intercooler upgrade
Methanol kit addition
Exhaust addition (if you don't already have one)

as well as adding the optional E-manage (as you can tune it to be a little less on the rich side, thus possibly creating an extra PSI of boost in the process).

I don't have a boost controller on our car, it's controlled via WG spring.

PS...the HKS turbo timer is a nice little unit. I do more with it besides just having it keep the car running an extra 30secs after I remove the key.

I do:

1/4 mile testing (w/ trap speed)
1/8th mile testing (w/ trap speed)
0-60
60 foot
And it can also act as a Shifting light.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i really like the HKS turbo timer, looking to get it when i go boost.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

*sigh* if only I knew anything about turbos I would get one to.

I assume stage 0 is basically the safe stage of turboing right?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^All of them are safe stages. Just got to make sure you do it right.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Every Friday when I come home from work I check under the hood. I check piping, oil, oil leaks, vac lines, ect.. I do this to make sure everything is ok. I'm not sure if it's over kill but I'd rather stay on top of things. I also check everything after I've been hard on it too. I find it to be a good safe routine.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^I just fill up the gas tank when the light comes on, and change my oil when the Maint Recq. light comes on...
Old 01-31-2007, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
^^I just fill up the gas tank when the light comes on, and change my oil when the Maint Recq. light comes on...
Heh, dont go by this guy.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by xBtenchu
Heh, dont go by this guy.

I WANT THE TRUTH.....

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I've just heard too many stories of people getting stuck (with all kits) cuz of those little over sites. I rather take 5 minutes every Friday and catch something right away then have to worry about a big problem when I'm stuck on the side of the road on my why to an appointment. Besides, I like opening my hood and looking at the turbo.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
I've just heard too many stories of people getting stuck (with all kits) cuz of those little over sites. I rather take 5 minutes every Friday and catch something right away then have to worry about a big problem when I'm stuck on the side of the road on my why to an appointment. Besides, I like opening my hood and looking at the turbo.

The only time the hood opens on our car is

- change the oil
- change out the battery (for winter, need more CCA)
- show other people what makes it go
- remove the rain protector from under the CF hood.

Other than that, I'm being honest, I never pop the hood to check anything. If something happens THEN I pop the hood (Not saying that checking stuff is bad or anything), just saying what I do personally, which basically is ....nothing.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really dont do maintenace to mine either. I just drive the hell out that _____, im on the phone with dezod and he is like chill out dude everytime i talk to u all i hear is wastegate. I drive it like a stole it.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 318_tC
I drive it like a stole it.

Wouldn't have it any other way...