Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo not the way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightbulb Turbo not the way to go?

For those who are considered experts in this field, or those with an overwhelming knowledge around turbo FI, please realize I am just a beginner and I do not mean for this thread, nor my questions, to sound ignorant. Thank you.

I am seriously considering going turbo, and because of that, I have been doing all the research I can, and getting all the experience I can, on forced induction and turbo systems(helped my coworker install his sexy Dezod up in Mira Mesa, reading online, talking to friends, reading post after post after post on turbos, etc.). I am a fast learner, and I want to learn turbos. The problem that I am facing, having a fresh, and unbiased perspective on this, is that it "seems" like more often people have problems/issues with their turbos, than not. And, I noticed that whenever I browse the SL Classifieds > Engine & Drivetrain, there seems to be an abundance of people selling their turbo systems... more than anything else.

Long story short, my question is: Is turbo FI not the way to go? -OR- Are turbos not the problem, but the misuse and lack of proper tuning/education the cause of a lot of the problems?

It's just kind of scary, being fairly new to this, and wanting more power!, and seeing so many threads/posts about blown engines, bad experiences, etc.

Let me know what you think. I have respect for many of the members on SL, so I am hoping to get a lot of input, opinions(both professional, and otherwise), and experiences. Let's hear em...
Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alot of people sell because either A. they need the money B. getting a different car C. changing it up for another set up etc.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I must say for a noob thats not a bad post...

there are a few reasons peeps are selling their kits...

1. upgrade to something larger or a new platform
2. money issues (the reason i had to sell my kit)
3. bad installs, bad tunes, blown engines due to bad tunes (pretty much lack of knowledge)
4. upkeep
Old 10-14-2009, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

turbo IS the way to go and im telling you this after finally blowing my engine with 110,000 miles lmao....i abused the car so it wasnt a surprise....BOOST FTW!!!! get a good tune and your good to go...and clutch haha
Old 10-15-2009, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I was boosted for the better part of about 3 something years, with just changing the turbo and pipes a little........THEN PTuning had to come into the picture and make me sell it for their UBER fantastic domination of a turbo system they have produced.

So, My sale was for Upraded to better system.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^^you got your kit already?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by m6ar2cel6oTC
^^^^^^you got your kit already?

No not yet. It's the off season so no big rush. Will be getting rid of my 350z come spring and really free up the pocket book.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice travis....hopefully i can sell this tC fo 15k when its built pushin 400whp lol...
Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not many people are going to post lots of threads if everything with their kit is going well. You'll only see the people having problems. None of which have gone unsolved on these forums due to the help of the real professionals on here. Some people get out of line but they are easy to identify. I'm boosted myself and was in your shoes when I put my kit in by myself but if you are the fast learner you say you are and take good advice when it's given, you won't have many, if any hiccups along the way to fun boosting!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I appreciate all the great feedback and advice so far. Rangerryda, you make a very valid point. People are always more likely to share when something has gone wrong. Thanks a lot everyone. =)
Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

x2 on what everyone else has said...also make sure u change ur oil every 3k miles. up keep is very important. when people get lazy thats when S___ happens
Old 10-15-2009, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man I can't wait to be boosted then I can share wonderful experinceses I have with my kit.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

only problems i ever had were with ignorance like not keeping the maf clean before re-installing it and also putting my o2 too close to the turbo....

i have owned 4 turbo kits on my car and ran into 2 lil problems which were fixed in less than 30 mins...

sold 3 of my kits for money and only money
Old 10-15-2009, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ good greif man your on number 4...what all kits did you own?. didnt you have a dezod kit at one time?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
^^ good greif man your on number 4...what all kits did you own?. didnt you have a dezod kit at one time?

1st was custom with a small .48 a/r turbo the turbine broke off the shaft after 5 hours of abuse....

2nd was a custom 6psi no intercooler setup using a xspower .63a/r to4e kit was greta had it for like 3 months

3rd was dezod...i didnt really wanna run untuned anymore...so never installed

4th turbo but 3rd installed was a setup similar to the first setup and after a week i decided the turbo was too small and i needed bigger so now ive got a to4e with a intercooler and 6psi spring but only hitting 4psi
Old 10-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Really it depends on how well the car is maintained, the quality and attention taken on install and component's quality as well.

For example, putting low end cheap E-Bay turbos on your setup might cause you some gray hairs early with seals going out left and right etc.

My advice is that you can boost. Take your time, install the components properly. Take attention to detail. Stay up on maintenance like oil changes and such. Also make sure you let the car properly warm up and cool down after driving.

Make sure you have a few extra dollars set aside for potential road blocks that can pop up with owning an FI car. In other words, don't boost on a budget.

Lastly, make a weekly regiment of checking things. On say Saturday morning, check all fluids, inspect for leaks, check vac lines, check clamps on pipes to make sure they are tight etc....10 mins worth of checking and inspecting every week will make life less hectic and you will be able to spot potential problems prior to them ever becoming larger. Simple as that!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do that daily! lol I just like looking at my motor because it's shiny
Old 10-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PAUL i couldnt have said it better myself
Old 10-16-2009, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Really it depends on how well the car is maintained, the quality and attention taken on install and component's quality as well.

For example, putting low end cheap E-Bay turbos on your setup might cause you some gray hairs early with seals going out left and right etc.

My advice is that you can boost. Take your time, install the components properly. Take attention to detail. Stay up on maintenance like oil changes and such. Also make sure you let the car properly warm up and cool down after driving.

Make sure you have a few extra dollars set aside for potential road blocks that can pop up with owning an FI car. In other words, don't boost on a budget.

Lastly, make a weekly regiment of checking things. On say Saturday morning, check all fluids, inspect for leaks, check vac lines, check clamps on pipes to make sure they are tight etc....10 mins worth of checking and inspecting every week will make life less hectic and you will be able to spot potential problems prior to them ever becoming larger. Simple as that!
Thanks for the great input. "Don't boost on a budget." Lol, I like that. I am about $2700 away from paying off my tC, so it's mod city from there on out, setting aside cash for emergencies of course. All of the info I have read so far has been great, so thanks again everyone.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fenrir,

Just take your time and read as much as you can. It'll be difficult for you though to come here on the boards and determine who knows what they're talking about and what-not. It's hard to filter out bad advice on the internet forums. You can pick up some good books like Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost". The book is old and the information is old - but over 90% of it still applies today. It's a great starting point if you really want to learn what its all about.

You can also learn by visiting other forums that are not Scion related. Again - it'll be hard to filter out the crap from the good stuff, but you can see other people's builds and read what works or didn't work for people.

Keep in mind that there will be fan boys out there who root for certain companies and/or brands. They can be very biased so just be wary of that. Most products offered to the Scion community (from Dezod, Ptuning, World-Racing, etc) are all quality - it's up to the end user (you) to decide what fits your goals the best. Feel free to search the forums to find answers and don't be afraid to ask when you need some help.

Have fun.

Quick Reply: Turbo not the way to go?