Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo not the way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Fenrir,

You can pick up some good books like Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost". The book is old and the information is old - but over 90% of it still applies today. It's a great starting point if you really want to learn what its all about.

Have fun.
I agree. I got the book myself and i've learned a lot from it. Its a good starting point
Old 10-16-2009, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45

Keep in mind that there will be fan boys out there who root for certain companies and/or brands. They can be very biased so just be wary of that. Most products offered to the Scion community (from Dezod, Ptuning, World-Racing, etc) are all quality - it's up to the end user (you) to decide what fits your goals the best. Feel free to search the forums to find answers and don't be afraid to ask when you need some help.

Have fun.
Probably the best advice right there... only get what you need to reliably reach your goals... not maximum HP numbers on a dyno.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm interested in getting a turbo too sometime in the future. Just a few questions too. How reliable are the turbos and how reliable are the engine internals in the long run? Since it's a Toyota, will the engine last 200k (probably sold the car by then but knowing how it will last that long gives me a piece of mind)?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Schmohey
I'm interested in getting a turbo too sometime in the future. Just a few questions too. How reliable are the turbos and how reliable are the engine internals in the long run? Since it's a Toyota, will the engine last 200k (probably sold the car by then but knowing how it will last that long gives me a piece of mind)?
Reliability is such a broad term when it comes to modifying car, in this case turbo charging... It depends on the quality components of your turbo system, how well they are setup and installed, how well you maintain them, how hard your push them, application you use them, how well you tune them..

as for the engine, remember you are turbocharging.. you will be driving your motor hard and putting more stress on the engine so will shorten your engine life.. again it comes down to how well its tuned and how hard its driven.. some only have their engine last 5K miles some have done over 50k