Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo queston from a noob

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 PM

Default Turbo queston from a noob

Ok so I've been doing some searching and reading over the last several weeks and have officially decided on turbo over S/C, but due to limited funds I will be piecing together a kit. Now, with that beign said, I think I have some things figured out but I would like some clarification from some pros on here:

1) Will the 16G turbo off of a Mitsubishi Evo VIII work with the 2007 scion tC? I found a great deal on a freshly rebuilt one.

2) The 16G turbo off the Evo has an internal wastegate. I read somewhere that you can simply weld the flapper shut and then put on an external wastegate. Is this accurate?

3) Running this turbo at 7PSI for a daily drive on pump gas (premium of course) will be safe on an all stock internal engine?

4) I see the majority of turbos and manifolds being run are a T3/T4 setup. If I can run the 16G on the tC, how would I get the flange on the turbo to match up with the manifold correctly? Could i simply buy a manifold that has a T3/T4 flange, then buy a stock manifold from an Evo VII, cut off and swap the flanges so that I have the stock Evo VIII flange on the aftermarket manifold for the tC?

5) I also read somewhere that for the 16G turbo on the tC, 440 injectors are a good size to run. Is this accurate?

6) What brand Fuel Management system should I run? The most popular I've seen in my readings have been the GReddy emanage blue, and an AEM FIC (fuel ignition controller i assume). Any thoughts on a UniChip setup? Basically, what engine management system should I run with a 16G turbo for a daily driver on pump gas?

7) If I buy a complete intercooler and piping kit that is made for a 2007 scion tC, the "modifications" that I would have to make to the piping to get it to match up to the turbo should be minimal correct? I only say that I will have to modify since I am using a turbo from an Evo.

On all turbo setups, I see the filter on the intake is sitting where the factory air box used to be. Could you extend that piping down into the fender well (where the TRD CAI goes) to keep the CAI setup, or does it need to stay in that location?

I'm sure some of these questions have been answered elsewhere and like i said, i have been reading and seaching for several weeks and have not really found any DEFINITIVE answers to any of my questions. They all usually beat around the bush. Im hoping some of the turbo pros on here can help me out. Also, since I do have an Auto trans, I read that a trans cooler is essential to help keep the trans from going out. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 11-17-2012, 02:59 AM

Man 30 views and no input? Lol. Just looking for some advice guys. Any and all is appreciated as long as you aren't bashing me too hard haha